Thread for new battery breakthrough PR releases

Part of the problem is due to the way academic institutions operate. They have no incentive to make a product you can buy or use. They just want the breakthroughs so they can get more grant money for research.

Privately owned companies generally keep everything top secret other than hundreds of patent filings.

If all the resources could actually cooperate and be driven toward practical solutions, the rate of our development would accelerate tremendously. Greed will prevent this.

Well I have a problem of sourcing the weed otherwise I could be making those batteries of robert murray smith. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Edit: Added weed faces.

zzoing said:
There's some talk about the RMS capacitor on the Tesla forum. What's the difference in between his video demonstration and the maths on this page?

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/robert-murraysmith-world-first-10-kilofarad-capacitor-10000-f-made-edison-power
Your not looking at dates properly? The RMS stuff on youtube for the ebike is he is talking about is last few months..
That link on the Tesla form is over a year old.

I wrote a detailed post but my laptop chose now to post it and I'm bored or writing it again. Short story supercapacitors need 1000kg to store same same energy as 100kg ion batteries, RMS battery nothing new needs marihuana or sea weed , vacuum furnace, stores electrolyte ions in carbon.

5,000 year battery life anybuddy?

"5,000yrs of battery life: Nuclear waste-formed radioactive diamonds provide long-lasting energy":
https://www.rt.com/uk/369020-nuclear-battery-diamond-scientists/

Scientists have discovered a way to convert nuclear waste into radioactive black diamond batteries which last more than 5,000 years.

Researchers at the University of Bristol have found a means of creating a battery capable of generating clean electricity for five millennia, or as long as human civilization has existed.

Scientists found that by heating graphite blocks – used to house uranium rods in nuclear reactors – much of the radioactive carbon is given off as a gas.

This can then be gathered and turned into radioactive diamonds using a high-temperature chemical reaction, in which carbon atoms are left on the surface in small, dark-colored diamond crystals.

These man-made diamonds produce a small electrical charge when placed near a radioactive source.

The radioactive diamonds are then encased safely within a layer of non-radioactive diamond. The surface of a complete diamond emits less radiation than a banana.

The Bristol scientists have already created a working diamond battery from nickel-63, a radioactive isotope more stable than carbon-14, which is prevalent in nuclear waste.

They will create their first carbon-14 batteries in the New Year.

“There are no moving parts involved, no emissions generated and no maintenance required, just direct electricity generation,” said Tom Scott, Professor in Materials at the University of Bristol Interface Analysis Centre.

“By encapsulating radioactive material inside diamonds, we turn a long-term problem of nuclear waste into a nuclear-powered battery and a long-term supply of clean energy.”

A diamond battery containing 20g of carbon-14 would deliver a small electrical charge of 300 joules per day. By contrast, an AA battery outputs 14,000 joules per day.

Scientists at NASA are reportedly interested in using the technology in space flight, while tech firms could incorporate the batteries into smaller, internet-enabled devices.

"Supercapacitor Breakthrough Allows Electric Vehicle Charging In Seconds":
http://www.hybridcars.com/supercapacitor-breakthrough-allows-electric-vehicle-charging-in-seconds/
UK technology firm Augmented Optics has revealed a new supercapacitor material it says can accept a charge in an electric vehicle as quickly as refueling a conventional car while threatening to render lithium-ion batteries obsolete.

The new material intended to replace conventional batteries is a polymer based on soft contact-lens technology that may dramatically boost the performance of supercapacitors – lightweight electronic components that store and distribute high volumes of power.

They are based on large organic molecules composed of many repeated sub-units and bonded together to form a three-dimensional network.

The new material has been tested by researchers at Great Britain’s University of Surrey and University of Bristol, with their analysis estimating it to be between 1,000 and 10,000-times more effective than current supercapacitors.

Dr. Donald Highgate, technical director at Augmented Optics, said the potential is high indeed.

“If these are half as good as we think they are, and with more experience, they may take over entirely,” said Hughes. “Disruptive, yes — it would be a terrible shock to car manufacturers — but cars could be built on the same factory lines.”

Heathcote said that the group has been working in secret on the project until this point, having filed worldwide patents only last week.

Supercapacitors have the ability to charge and discharge rapidly over very large numbers of cycles, but current supercapacitors are unable to hold charges as efficiently as batteries. Some existing examples used on buses in China require charging every three or four miles.

The new material brings the new supercapacitors closer to the storage capacity of a lithium-ion battery, but with the added benefits of immediate recharging and cheaper production costs.

University of Bristol’s Dr. Ian Hamerton, a scientist on the project, said: “Although we didn’t initially look at the automotive industry, as the results came in, it became apparent the car industry could be one of the first ones to adopt this technology.”

Tesla Motors’ CEO Elon Musk previously said he would bet on supercapacitors over batteries to deliver a breakthrough for electric cars.

Heathcote said the group is actively seeking partners in order to supply the polymers and offer assistance to build these ultra-high-energy density storage devices.

British publication Auto Express reports that the team hopes to build a prototype electric car by 2017 that can be charged up to a 150-mile driving range in just a few seconds.

Hello guys,

I want to share with you my experience with their cells. After a big research I did two years ago I've found this factory and I have to say I'm really impressed with the quality the lifespan and the true current they provide.

The reason I haven't wrote earlier here is because when I tried to say my opinion some guys told me "these cells come from China What do you expect? " and "have faith to 18650 cells " and this kind of words. It is always good to have alternative solutions, it is much easier to build the battery pack if the form factor is not a problem.

I've bought their 20AH 10C - 20C NCM cells one and a half year ago my setup peaks at 110A and after really hard use and abuse they haven't lost any capacity yet. So 2 months ago I've decided to buy their new graphene 10ah cells to test them with my second ebike. I draw about 5-6kw from this little baby without any problems!

There is a small threat for those who want to see photos video.

I can post photos with my first NCM pack also now it is in my flux beta frame connected with a midi -e.

Ioannis

fechter said:
If all the resources could actually cooperate and be driven toward practical solutions, the rate of our development would accelerate tremendously. Greed will prevent this.
My experience, but in completely different activities, was that cooperation led to group-think and the returns, literally, vanished. Even within the same companies, amalgamating R&D establishments produced sometimes mediocre results.

^^^^ yes james i agree.
My experience of R&D groups is that they get sidetracked and the results delayed & diluted by multiple inputs....inless they have a very strong single minded leader,....which very few do !
The best inovative results come from single minded ideas supported by small dedicated teams to assist in "legwork"

Hmmm... ES Bible "Search found 3 matches: +Helmholtz"... one more:

"Electric Double Layer Capacitor Market Global Analysis and Forecasts 2021 by DecisionDatabases.com":
http://marketresearchreportanalysis.blogspot.ca/2016/12/electric-double-layer-capacitor-market.html

Includes:
Electric Double Layer Capacitor is electrochemical capacitors which energy storage predominant is achieved by Double-layer capacitance. Double-layer capacitance – electrostatic storage of the electrical energy achieved by separation of charge in a Helmholtz double layer is at the interface between the surface of a conductor electrode and an electrolytic solution electrolyte.

The Electrical Double-Layer Capacitor (EDLC) contains no conventional dielectric. Instead, an electrolyte (solid or liquid) is filled between two electrodes. In EDLC, an electrical condition called electrical double layer, which is formed between the electrodes and electrolyte.

EDLC_Electric_Double_Layer_Capacitor_.jpg

LockH said:
Electric Double Layer Capacitor is electrochemical capacitors which energy storage predominant is achieved by Double-layer capacitance. Double-layer capacitance – electrostatic storage of the electrical energy achieved by separation of charge in a Helmholtz double layer is at the interface between the surface of a conductor electrode and an electrolytic solution electrolyte.

The Electrical Double-Layer Capacitor (EDLC) contains no conventional dielectric. Instead, an electrolyte (solid or liquid) is filled between two electrodes. In EDLC, an electrical condition called electrical double layer, which is formed between the electrodes and electrolyte.

EDLC_Electric_Double_Layer_Capacitor_.jpg

Here's a datasheet on some you can actually buy now. These are like the Maxwell ultracaps.
http://www.mouser.com/pdfDocs/Murata-DMF-DMT_TechnicalGuide.pdf

I want to see some much larger ones :twisted:

Hey fechter... `been thinking (yeah, I know, oh oh...) Rather than whack batts w/the motor regen we know and love... Maybe to split regen to first charge a bank of caps? ... and to use the caps to power the motor first at startups and up hills, etc? Somebuddy has tried this already I suspect.

Toyota has used a supercapacitor for regeneration on Supra HV-R hybrid race car that won the Tokachi 24-Hour endurance race in July 2007. This Supra became the first hybrid car in the history of motorsport to win such a race.[22]

The dc-dc converter part is big and complex (expensive). If they can get about 10x more energy density in the caps, it would start looking attractive.

The Mazda 6 "i-eloop" system uses "double layer" Ultracaps to collect regen energy and reuse it via the auxilliary (12v) systems to reduce alternator load on the ICE. They clain it improves mpg significantly.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/mazda-goes-loopty-loo-2014-mazda-6-gets-40-mpg-with-i-eloop-system/

"Silkworms Can Spin Electricity-Conducting Silk":
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/12/silworms-can-spin-electricity-conducting-silk/

Scientists fed graphine to silkworms and now they can spin silk that conducts electricity.

Carbon nanotubes and graphene are the two materials researchers at China's Tsinghua University fed to Bombyx mori larval silkworms by spraying a solution onto mulberry leaves.

The silk turned out to be twice the strength of normal silk, with the ability to withstand at least 50 percent higher stress before breaking.

Part of the experiment including "carbonising" the silk protien by heating the fibres at 1,050°C. After the treatment, the silk could conduct electricity.

Silkworms can spin super-tough, electricity conducting silk.

"Ultra-fast Charging, Safer Zap&Go Carbon-IonTM Solution to Debut at CES 2017":
http://www.newschannel10.com/story/...go-carbon-iontm-solution-to-debut-at-ces-2017

The Zap&Go Carbon-IonTM cell, an ultra-fast charging, non-flammable, near-term alternative to lithium-ion batteries developed by ZapGo Ltd, will make its debut at the 2017 Consumer Electronics Show (CES 2017) in Las Vegas on January 5-8, 2017 at Booth #40143. This is the first technology with the potential to combine the fast-charging characteristics of a supercapacitor with the performance of a lithium-ion battery. With this platform technology, ZapGo Ltd is aiming to revolutionize the charge time and battery life for a range of innovative consumer electronic products, and will be in commercialized products such as cordless power tools, robot cleaners and electric bikes during late 2017.

On display at the booth will be a range of functioning products where the recharge time has been reduced from hours to sub-five minutes. These include a Razor E300-scooter, a Nyko Zap&Go Carbon-Ion powered bicycle energy pack and a Nyko Bluetooth five-minute charging speaker, an 18-volt power drill and a cordless cleaner.

“We believe our technology represents a transformative next step beyond the current standard which uses lithium-ion as its power source,” said Stephen Voller, CEO of ZapGo Ltd. “Our Carbon-Ion cells are made of non-flammable nano-carbons and ionic electrolytes. They are superb conductors, very safe and recyclable.”

Charles Resnick, President of US Operations at ZapGo Inc., added, “As consumer products evolve rapidly to be faster, lighter and demand greater and greater power requirements, consumers will no longer be required to spend hours to have their battery recharged, only minutes. Consumers are longing for a power source that can not only dramatically reduce charging time but do it safely as well.”

In addition, ZapGo Ltd was recently voted one of the 100 most promising European and Global technology companies of 2016 by online publishers Red Herring. Red Herring’s Global 100 Awards are given to the top 100 technology companies in Europe, Asia, and the Americas based on their technological innovation, management strength, market size, investor record, customer acquisition and financial health. ZapGo Ltd was the only European energy storage company to make the Red Herring lists.

About ZapGo Ltd

ZapGo Ltd is a technology company based at the Harwell Research Campus, Oxford with a Charlotte, NC US Office. Using novel nano-carbon materials as well as proprietary electrolytes they produce an ultra-fast, safe, recyclable charging power module that charges up in less than five minutes. For more information, please visit http://www.zapgo.com.

https://www.zapgo.com/

[youtube]UCHsu4AaCIs[/youtube]

[youtube]1eG86oMSTVc[/youtube]

Zapgo doesn't say anything about energy density we all know supercapacitors charge in seconds.

The secret is the graphene. They say it is going to change the future.
I am very happy with my new 10AH graphene cells from WESTART factory, I can charge them in mimutes with 30A without any problems.
in the future they are going to be much more powerful when the companies will be able to take the full advantage of the graphene.

ES Bible "No suitable matches were found"... for "Belenos"?

"Swatch set to take on Tesla with move into car battery production":
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/re...ar-batteries-investors-question-strategy.html

(Includes:)
The car battery has been jointly developed by Belenos Clean Power, in which Swatch holds a 51 percent stake, and the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) in Zurich.

Car batteries are an attractive growth market if numbers of electric vehicles (EVs) explode to two-thirds of all cars by 2030 in wealthy cities, as several studies predict.

But it is also a highly competitive field, where heavyweights like Tesla and Panasonic invest billions to gain scale and bring down costs for the currently dominating Lithium-ion batteries.

Prototypes are being produced at Swatch's Renata battery unit near Basel but have not yet been presented to investors who are waiting for signs of progress.

'The timetable seems unrealistic to me. It is impossible to get from zero to 10 billion sales within just three years,' said Paul Wyser, owner of Swiss battery maker Wyon and a former Swatch Group manager who still owns some shares.

'Battery development takes time because of the comprehensive safety tests. You also need to see if it works over the long term.'

Technical details have also been scarce. Swatch has said that the new battery uses a vanadium pentoxide compound for the cathodes and a new electrolyte composition, giving it higher energy density, a longer life span, shorter recharging times and a better safety profile than conventional batteries.

Wyser said vanadium pentoxide was available and cheap, but was just one of many materials being tested for car batteries at the moment with an uncertain outcome.

Hayek, who declined to comment for this article, has said publicly that the battery could generate revenue of $10-15 billion by 2020, from use in cars, e-bikes, e-scooters and drones.

Others have questioned the cost associated with the project.

'You need to invest a lot before you get a return,' Vontobel analyst Rene Weber said.

Swatch has not provided any financial details on the project, but Hayek said in a newspaper interview that it signed a memorandum of understanding with Chinese car maker Geely in May and that the battery could be jointly produced in China from early 2017 if tests were successful.

But Geely sounded a cautious note: 'This is one of many projects, we work with a lot of suppliers,' spokesman Ashley Sutcliffe told Reuters by phone.

'It's early stages for both parties right now. Whether we'll develop it together or invest in the project, that is all too far away.'

Beck said the outlook for the project was not clear.

'Investors do not have any figures, just this long-term fantasy that something could come of the cooperation with Geely...There are so many joint venture partners, that even if the project becomes a success, Swatch Group will probably only get a small share of it,' he said.

Nevertheless, Beck said he liked Swatch's long-term approach and even the high inventory levels.

'It is when the cycle is at its lowest that you can gain market share and Swatch Group is well positioned for that,' he said.

Samsung unveils its own ‘2170’ battery cell to compete with Tesla/Panasonic and new battery enabling 370-mile EV range & 20 mins charging:
https://electrek.co/2017/01/09/samsung-2170-battery-cell-tesla-panasonic/

Samsung SDI exhibited a brand-new concept, “integrated battery module” catching the eye of its visitors. A conventional EV battery module which consists of 12 cells has a capacity of 2~3kWh. By contrast, an “integrated battery module” has more than 24 cells with a higher capacity of 6~8kWh, which makes it an adequate module in the full-fledged high-capacity EV era.

Back