19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

brumbrum said:
My vee rubber vrm308 trials tyre arrived today, its a lot bigger and fatter than my CST c186 tyre.

The chen shin cst tyre is 3.00x17" and the Vee rubber is 3.50x17" but the difference in size is bigger than expected...

The cst has a 23" diameter and the vee rubber is 25"

Vimg][/url]

I managed to wrestle the new tyre onto the rim tonight and it will fit within the nyx swingarm. I have managed to fit a tyre/rim lock which was fairly straight forward thanks to Rix's helpful tips.
Overalll its a lot heavier and larger than the cst tyre but i will be able to run it at a low pressure without worry of the rim hitting the ground and the tyre tread depth and knobbles look very decent.

I will try and get some photos of the bike when all finished in a day or two.

A while back, someone asked me about going to a 4.00x19" trials tire, I told them that it would be way to big and so was the 3.5" wide tires. Start going north of 3.00 wide MC tires, its a different realm of tire.

brumbrum, I'm not sure if that is you in your avatar but why are you worried about pinch flatting the 3"? I run the 17x3.00 and run as low as 10PSI, I can't imagine you ever pinch flatting that tire.

How low PSI are you even running to be worried about that?

The 3.5" looks awsome, but I can imagine it weighs close to 10 lbs.

litespeed said:
Is the rubber softer, harder or the same as the old tire?

Did you happen to weigh the tires before mounting?

Its advertised as a softish compound, and i didnt weigh unfortunately, its got to be a kilo heavier, maybe not helped as its a tubless type tyre. I amybe able to weigh the whole wheel, motor, tyre before putting back on thr bike, i think i weighed the previous wheel and tyre combo which was recorded on my build thread so i could make a comparison.

Rix said:
brumbrum said:
My vee rubber vrm308 trials tyre arrived today, its a lot bigger and fatter than my CST c186 tyre.

The chen shin cst tyre is 3.00x17" and the Vee rubber is 3.50x17" but the difference in size is bigger than expected...

The cst has a 23" diameter and the vee rubber is 25"

Vimg][/url]

I managed to wrestle the new tyre onto the rim tonight and it will fit within the nyx swingarm. I have managed to fit a tyre/rim lock which was fairly straight forward thanks to Rix's helpful tips.
Overalll its a lot heavier and larger than the cst tyre but i will be able to run it at a low pressure without worry of the rim hitting the ground and the tyre tread depth and knobbles look very decent.

I will try and get some photos of the bike when all finished in a day or two.

A while back, someone asked me about going to a 4.00x19" trials tire, I told them that it would be way to big and so was the 3.5" wide tires. Start going north of 3.00 wide MC tires, its a different realm of tire.

Yeah, it certainly surprised me, i thought it may not fit but i think it will... Just. But i will have to modify my mudhugger rear mudguard for sure.

Offroader said:
brumbrum, I'm not sure if that is you in your avatar but why are you worried about pinch flatting the 3"? I run the 17x3.00 and run as low as 10PSI, I can't imagine you ever pinch flatting that tire.

How low PSI are you even running to be worried about that?

The 3.5" looks awsome, but I can imagine it weighs close to 10 lbs.

Haah, not me in the avatar, i weigh about 80kg/177lbs approx.

As the rim is a 1.85 i was continually getting the rim hit the ground as there's not much side wall rubber to protect it with the 3" tyre. Adding a rim lock was also important for me to run low pressure. I got a pinch flat on the weekend when the bike jolted to the side as i fell off on ice. We will have to see how the new tyre performs, it feels a lot sturdier and stiffer in construction with bigger and deeper knobbles.

Tbh, i am more worried at present about how the extra diameter on the tyre is going to effect the motor temp on steep slippy grass and mud hills.

I noticed a dent on my stock 24" MXUS 3000 rear rim, which causes wobble. I couldn't fix it so I am planning to change the rim to a more durable 19" 1.6 36h moped rim.
However, I can't find any supplier. Can anyone recommend suitable 19" 1.6 rim for the MXUS 3000? Also I need spokes, maybe 11/12ga, but what length? Anything else I should source?
I'm a noob wheel builder... and probably will take it to a wheel builder.

I weigh 205 lbs (6'4" tall) and my bike is about 110 to 115 lbs as a guesstimate and I run my front and rear at 15 psi. I like the way it feels there. Any higher pressure and it adds too much vibration on the street and chatter on the trails for me.

Tom

If the tire results to wide for the swing arm, there is always carpet knife to trim the knobs. I underestimated cross tire once, mounting on enduro motorcycle, nothing a blade could not solve. :D

parabellum said:
If the tire results to wide for the swing arm, there is always carpet knife to trim the knobs. I underestimated cross tire once, mounting on enduro motorcycle, nothing a blade could not solve. :D

Nice to know. Thanks.

Quick update, checked tyre yesterday and it was flat, pumped it and can hear hissing , i must have pinched the tube on tyre iron! damn, now i got to wrestle with that god damned tyre again :evil: The issue i have which makes things difficult is the wheel is still attached by the main harness to the inside of the bike frame. I am not willing to dismantle my controller and desolder the adappto connectors to feed the harness back through the frame. Making tyre mounting a pita. This is one downfall of putting all connections inside the nyx frame. There is only a small top hatch which you can barely get two hands into, and with two hands inside there is no room for leverage of any kind.

I know the feeling. Sorry to hear that. I have pinched more tubes than I can count when mounting motorcycle tires. It was frustrating the first 4 or 5 times until I got the technique down! I used to wrestle them like crazy and it took a lot of choice words. The 'ah ha' moment for me was when I started doing the following when at the final part (I always pinched the tube there) where you need to stretch that last 15% over the rim:

-go back to the opposite side (180 degrees) from where you need to stretch the last bit over the edge
-pinch the sidewalls together and get them deep into the center of the valley of the rim
-bring both hands around each side of the tire pinching both of the sidewalls into the valley until you get to the final part that needs to stretch over

It sounds and seems so simple, but makes a world of difference in providing just that little bit of extra slack to stretch so you don't have to force it so hard and risk pinching the tube.

A couple more tips:
1. A little bit of air in the tube helps to avoid snagging it with the tire iron, but too much will thwart the technique
2. Use an obnoxious amount of lube

The bright side is that after doing lot of 17 inch MC tires there are few bicycle tires that will ever pose a challenge! haha

ecycler said:
I know the feeling. Sorry to hear that. I have pinched more tubes than I can count when mounting motorcycle tires. It was frustrating the first 4 or 5 times until I got the technique down! I used to wrestle them like crazy and it took a lot of choice words. The 'ah ha' moment for me was when I started doing the following when at the final part (I always pinched the tube there) where you need to stretch that last 15% over the rim:

-go back to the opposite side (180 degrees) from where you need to stretch the last bit over the edge
-pinch the sidewalls together and get them deep into the center of the valley of the rim
-bring both hands around each side of the tire pinching both of the sidewalls into the valley until you get to the final part that needs to stretch over

It sounds and seems so simple, but makes a world of difference in providing just that little bit of extra slack to stretch so you don't have to force it so hard and risk pinching the tube.

A couple more tips:
1. A little bit of air in the tube helps to avoid snagging it with the tire iron, but too much will thwart the technique
2. Use an obnoxious amount of lube

The bright side is that after doing lot of 17 inch MC tires there are few bicycle tires that will ever pose a challenge! haha

Thank mate, no really, thanks for the sympathy and support. I think i may have had too much air in the inner tube, but i also had a nightmare trying to get the tube valve through the rim hole which i left until the rest of the tube had been tucked into the tyre. I think this time i will seat the valve first. It will be interesting to see where the hole in the inner tube is when i take it off.

Yeah the key to avoid pinch flats is to inflate the tube somewhat before mounting the tire. I learned my lesson quickly when I one forgot to inflate the tube and had the tube completely airless. But you also have to be careful when inserting the spoon that you are not going to bite the tire, I usually insert then pull it out a little.

One other thing I think may be helpful is to use these motion pro tire spoons, I think they really help to avoid biting at the tire. I've tried a number of spoons and these are my favorite because of the small tip. Easy to use if using rim protectors which are a must on black rims.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4482/i/motion-pro-spoon-tire-iron

Offroader said:
Yeah the key to avoid pinch flats is to inflate the tube somewhat before mounting the tire. I learned my lesson quickly when I one forgot to inflate the tube and had the tube completely airless. But you also have to be careful when inserting the spoon that you are not going to bite the tire, I usually insert then pull it out a little.

One other thing I think may be helpful is to use these motion pro tire spoons, I think they really help to avoid biting at the tire. I've tried a number of spoons and these are my favorite because of the small tip. Easy to use if using rim protectors which are a must on black rims.

I've just orderd a second tyre iron much like the one in the link, which i have one of already. One spoon was not ideal first time around. No rim protectors here , just scuffed up black rims :lol:. I think impatience got the better of me.

Can motorcyle inner tube punctures be fixed with normal bicycle patches?

brumbrum said:
Offroader said:

Should be no problem fixing with bike patches

brumbrum said:

Without a doubt.

Always put the valve through the hole first and then stuff the rest of the tube into the tire. Let us know how it goes... next to wheel building, mounting 17 inch tires is probably one of the toughest ebike maintenance tasks.

Actually, i retract this last comment, i have pumped tyre to full psi and trye runs true. Not buckled as was in the previous statement.

ecycler said:
brumbrum said:

Without a doubt.

Always put the valve through the hole first and then stuff the rest of the tube into the tire. Let us know how it goes... next to wheel building, mounting 17 inch tires is probably one of the toughest ebike maintenance tasks.

Yes, it is much more of a challenge than the 3" moto tyre was, that and the fact its still joined by the umbilical cord of the motor harness attached to the inside of the nyx frame. :roll:

A few pics,

Here are a few photos of me feeling pleased with the new 3.50" trials tyre by doing a test drive in my garden. As you can see I love to just mash that throttle, my face says it all. 'Ardcore!

My learning curve putting on this beastly tyre is that you need the following items to make it go smoothly.
3 tyre irons for tyre removal and 2 for install.
Some talcum powder to cover inner tube before install
Patience getting the valve stem in place
KY jelly for lubricant.. yes seriously (its rubber friendly and dries out) the tyre slid into place.

I may now swap out the 24" wheel up front for a 26" to regain some lost head angle. Thanks for all of the really helpful strategies and suggestions

I keep a 26" up front for geometry reasons. Not sure if it matters all that much. The 24x3.00" is close to a 26" sized tire also. Supposedly larger front wheels are better off-road so why not use a larger wheel if the bike supports it.

brumbrum, nice bike, I was considering buying the NYX frame but the Qulbix Q76R suit my purposes better especially because I wanted a motorcycle seat.

I just bought a crap load of 26x3.00" tires. I love how the 3" feels over the 2.6" so far. The tire is so much fatter. Good luck finding 26x3.00, but I called Duro and they say they still make them.

Here is my bike with 26x3.00 up front, and 17x3.00 in the rear. The bottom bracket height is about 14.2" because I adjusted my rear suspension to lift the rear up for the smaller tire.

Brumbrum, what is your bottom bracket height?

You can see in the photos that the 26x3.00" tire looks much taller than the 17x3.00". May not look the best but should offer the best handling. I'll have to measure the angle of the fork to get an idea about the geometry of my bike.

Thats a nice looking bike 8) At present i am looking at the possibility of building a second bike and funnily enough the 76qr is at the top of the list for price, build quality and price. I have ridden a raptor 140 and know how good the build quality is from Qulbix they are like tanks.
I've just measured the ground clearance for you from the bottom of the bottom bracket/swingarm and it is 14 inches. Or 15.5 inch to the centre of the bottom bracket.

The Duro wildlife leopard 26x3.0 i can get hold of, and as i have a spare wide 26" rim i may do the swap in the new year. I think i can squeeze it in. I was thinking of investing in some manitou dorado inverted forks next year which will suppoet taller or even wider front tyre. Fat bike tyre here we come lol. I wish QS motors would just sell the front 19" wheel on its own, that would be my next move and fit a 2.75 moto tyre to it, but i believe they only sell them as part of a motor/wheel set. I wonder if they would sell say 10 in a batch and i could get a group buy together?

I went up a series of concrete steps last night to test the new rear tyre and it was less bouncy than my old tyre and absorbed the step lip much better, using 12-13psi. The 1.85" rim was my main problem with the 3" tyre. Though the 3.5 tyre has added more noticeable weight.

brumbrum, 15.5" is way high if that is to the center, mine is 14.2" to center of bottom bracket. The downhill community says that 15.5" would be way too high and like it more between 13.8" and 14.2". How much of a difference it actually makes, who knows.

If you swap on a 26"x3.00 front it would raise your bottom bracket even higher. Basically, you would want to use a different rear shock mount in the rear to lower the bike some. You would want to try and measure the head tube angle.

I choose not to go the 19"x2.75 route. Mainly because it would hurt the geometry of the bike, as my bike was designed for a 26" front. Using a 27.5" fork will allow you to maybe off-set some of this loss. The other issue is it would add additional weight to the front, but not a huge amount as my MTX 39 rim weighs close to a 19"x1.4 rim and my duro razorback weighs 3.5 lbs, compared to a 19x2.75 which weighs around 6 lbs. Larger tires also roll over stuff easier, so I would lose some performance by going smaller in the front.

The other problem is a 19x2.75 is very stiff tire and I would think it would not work as well as the razorback.

This all matters or not depending on how you ride the bike, and in the end it probably doesn't matter all that much. I just think my bike handles and feels so well, especially with the thin frame and weight very centered. It would be great if we could ride each others bikes to see how all these things really matter.

brumbrum, you mentioned you noticed extra weight in the rear, is this extra weight a problem? Do you notice less acceleration because of the larger tire?

Well being one of the 19/17 guys out there I can tell you that it rides perfect. I have a light weight motorcycle with peddles.....not a heavy bicycle!

Of course I think it looks best as well. I just want/need some fenders for the perfect look.

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_0458.JPG
    IMG_0458.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 3,394
Back