Solar Charger Controller as an alt. to the Cycle Satiator?

azneinstein

100 mW
So in my quest of cheapness, I already ordered a few of those Meanwell chargers from the other thread as a means of slow charging my 48v packs. However, I recently discovered this device: MPT-7210A MPPT Solar Charge Controller
For about $35 it looks like it takes in any voltage above 12V and then boosts it to any voltage you want as it was meant to take in a solar power source and recharge different home battery configurations and allowing Amps output settings based on all the youtube videos.

Again O' Endless wisemen, what part of my understanding is wrong this time?

Here's a link to a demonstration of it but you can skip to the middle as he fiddles with it for a while: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM6JTquNSZU

I'm sure you can charge with it, but surely not same as having a satiator, its ruggedness, weatherproofing.

NugAqZ5.jpg

poor man's satiator. 36v power supply. minghe bst-900w cc/cv boost module. digitally set volts and amps. memory store/recall

I'm sure it works,, but as a carry on the vehicle charger,, it can't compare with the ruggedness of the satiator.

The reason I want one,, is for the waterproof charger I can mount right on the bike. Fast charging cheap is easy.

Several of the waterproof meanwells can rival a satiator for the rugged part.

Oh I wasn't hoping it would be a direct replacement but more of the functionality of it for $40. I have a radioshack 12V huge amp power supply and can now turn that into a multiple voltage battery charger which seems pretty cool for the price. My main concern when I posted this was somewhat reassurance that it will work to charge batteries, but who wouldn't want a cycle satiator...

Yeah,, nothing wrong with a good ghetto charger.

I think of this meanwell, as the poor mans satiator.

http://www.trcelectronics.com/View/Mean-Well/HLG-320H-54.shtml
Sealed power supply.jpg

Built for the harsh environment,, no fan. Suitable for the on board power supply. Hundred bucks.

Overclocker said:
NugAqZ5.jpg

poor man's satiator. 36v power supply. minghe bst-900w cc/cv boost module. digitally set volts and amps. memory store/recall

Nice setup! is it easy to access the memory presets? And are those programmable into the BST-900W?

What is that other display unit below the BST-900W?

azneinstein said:
So in my quest of cheapness, I already ordered a few of those Meanwell chargers from the other thread as a means of slow charging my 48v packs. However, I recently discovered this device: MPT-7210A MPPT Solar Charge Controller
For about $35 it looks like it takes in any voltage above 12V and then boosts it to any voltage you want as it was meant to take in a solar power source and recharge different home battery configurations and allowing Amps output settings based on all the youtube videos.
I have one. Don't bother.

It takes a while to set up; there are half a dozen menus to scroll through, each one requiring you to scroll forever to get to the right setting i.e. you have to hold a button down while the screen scrolls from 12.00 volts to 63.00 volts, in 10 mV steps. (I was charging a 63 volt battery from a 12 volt panel.)

But finally it's all set up. I enabled it and observed the following:

-The output current would slowly start to ramp up.
-Once it got to about 1 amp output (at 63 volts, so about 63 watts) there would be a loud click and it would reset to zero current out.
-The output current would slowly start to ramp up again.

I replaced it with a Genasun GVB8 and it worked great. It's not programmable, but as long as you only want one output voltage, it's a very solid charge controller.

Back