Removing lvc on 48v controller.

Get all your technical information about electric bikes here.
Post Reply
EXPERIMENTAL EV   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 22
Joined: Apr 26 2016 3:55pm

Removing lvc on 48v controller.

Post by EXPERIMENTAL EV » Jan 17 2017 7:12pm

Hi there, I just found out the problem with my controller, the lvc is too high even though im using a 48v battery with a 48v controller. I was wondering if anyone could assist me in this daunting task to my noobish eyes.
This is my controller: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1500W-1 ... 0.0.v0XVgT


Thanks in advance.

User avatar
Gregory   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1084
Joined: Jul 27 2007 9:18pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Removing lvc on 48v controller.

Post by Gregory » Jan 17 2017 8:37pm

To mod the LVC, you will need to be able to disassemble the controller and solder. If you aren't confident doing that it will be easiest to buy a new controller.
Maybe one with software programmable LVC and other parameters.


Some controllers have pads with a resistor/link for multiple LVC options, many don't.

First step for me would be taking some hi res pics.


1) x5305 Hub Motor in a 24" Sun rim with 10G spokes, Kelly 72601 controller, 74V 10Ah Turnigy LiPo 20C Battery and CycleAnalyst
2) Mac 10T rear hub in a 700C "comfort bike" 15S 5Ah LiPo, stock 28A Xie Cheng controller
3) 38" Longboard, Turnigy 6374, CC Mamba XL2 ESC

EXPERIMENTAL EV   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 22
Joined: Apr 26 2016 3:55pm

Re: Removing lvc on 48v controller.

Post by EXPERIMENTAL EV » Jan 17 2017 9:53pm

I am very confident opening it and soldering. I have already disasembled it twice while I was searching for the problem. I am very confident at soldering so that wont be a problem. Here are some pics.
Attachments
photo (2).jpg
photo (2).jpg (119.6 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
photo (3).jpg
photo (3).jpg (103.83 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
photo (4).jpg
photo (4).jpg (100.97 KiB) Viewed 2094 times

User avatar
wesnewell   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7168
Joined: Jan 31 2011 6:25pm
Location: Wylie, TX, USA

Re: Removing lvc on 48v controller.

Post by wesnewell » Jan 18 2017 3:31am

EXPERIMENTAL EV wrote:Hi there, I just found out the problem with my controller, the lvc is too high even though im using a 48v battery with a 48v controller. I was wondering if anyone could assist me in this daunting task to my noobish eyes.
This is my controller: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1500W-1 ... 0.0.v0XVgT
Thanks in advance.
LVC is supposed to be 37V according to the description. If anything, I'd think that was too low for any 48V battery pack. Why would you think you need to lower it more? For lead, you'd want a 42V LVC, For 13s rc lipo 42-45V, For 13s 18650's, 37V is about right, although I'd want 39V. For 16s lifepo4, you probably would want to raise it to at least 40V, with 43V being better imo. Sorry, I don't know where the lvc resistor circuit is on that controller.
Need Advice? https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =3&t=66302
Mongoose 26" Ledge 2.1 mtb bike $99, yescomusa.com 48V 1000W rear hub kit $200, Hua Tong 72V 40A controller $35, 10ah 24s lipo $217=~43mph, range=45 miles @ 20mph. 25K miles and still going strong.
Huffy Fortress 3.0 with MXUS 3000 4T motor, 24s lipo, 96V 60A controller. Total cost with extras <$700. Top speed ~50mph
My videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0KW4U ... _G2wQhptMg

EXPERIMENTAL EV   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 22
Joined: Apr 26 2016 3:55pm

Re: Removing lvc on 48v controller.

Post by EXPERIMENTAL EV » Jan 18 2017 4:38am

wesnewell wrote:
EXPERIMENTAL EV wrote:Hi there, I just found out the problem with my controller, the lvc is too high even though im using a 48v battery with a 48v controller. I was wondering if anyone could assist me in this daunting task to my noobish eyes.
This is my controller: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1500W-1 ... 0.0.v0XVgT
Thanks in advance.
LVC is supposed to be 37V according to the description. If anything, I'd think that was too low for any 48V battery pack. Why would you think you need to lower it more? For lead, you'd want a 42V LVC, For 13s rc lipo 42-45V, For 13s 18650's, 37V is about right, although I'd want 39V. For 16s lifepo4, you probably would want to raise it to at least 40V, with 43V being better imo. Sorry, I don't know where the lvc resistor circuit is on that controller.


I believe they sent me the wrong one or there is a fault. I measured the battery voltage and when it goes below 53v it cuts off. If I spin it no load with the charger plugged in it stays running otherwise it only runs for about 3 second then dies.

User avatar
Gregory   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1084
Joined: Jul 27 2007 9:18pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Removing lvc on 48v controller.

Post by Gregory » Jan 18 2017 5:37am

If I understand that correctly, I'd be looking at part of the battery either sagging down below cell level LVC (ie a bad cell) or going into over current protection.

If the battery charges to 53V (same as the charger) then surely it's not controller LVC?

More details like the battery, what LVC you think you are seeing etc would help.


1) x5305 Hub Motor in a 24" Sun rim with 10G spokes, Kelly 72601 controller, 74V 10Ah Turnigy LiPo 20C Battery and CycleAnalyst
2) Mac 10T rear hub in a 700C "comfort bike" 15S 5Ah LiPo, stock 28A Xie Cheng controller
3) 38" Longboard, Turnigy 6374, CC Mamba XL2 ESC

EXPERIMENTAL EV   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 22
Joined: Apr 26 2016 3:55pm

Re: Removing lvc on 48v controller.

Post by EXPERIMENTAL EV » Jan 18 2017 2:18pm

Gregory wrote:If I understand that correctly, I'd be looking at part of the battery either sagging down below cell level LVC (ie a bad cell) or going into over current protection.

If the battery charges to 53V (same as the charger) then surely it's not controller LVC?

More details like the battery, what LVC you think you are seeing etc would help.

I will attach a video link to what it does if the charger is not plugged in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8thCtsa9zto

User avatar
wesnewell   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7168
Joined: Jan 31 2011 6:25pm
Location: Wylie, TX, USA

Re: Removing lvc on 48v controller.

Post by wesnewell » Jan 18 2017 3:15pm

OK, if you have to turn the battery off and back on to get it to turn the motor again, it's not the controller LVC cutting it off, it's the battery bms. The controller will reset itself when it sags below lvc. Just letting up on the throttle and turning it again should start the motor turning again. But if it's the bms, you have to cut the power for it to reset, which appears what you are doing.
Need Advice? https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =3&t=66302
Mongoose 26" Ledge 2.1 mtb bike $99, yescomusa.com 48V 1000W rear hub kit $200, Hua Tong 72V 40A controller $35, 10ah 24s lipo $217=~43mph, range=45 miles @ 20mph. 25K miles and still going strong.
Huffy Fortress 3.0 with MXUS 3000 4T motor, 24s lipo, 96V 60A controller. Total cost with extras <$700. Top speed ~50mph
My videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0KW4U ... _G2wQhptMg

EXPERIMENTAL EV   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 22
Joined: Apr 26 2016 3:55pm

Re: Removing lvc on 48v controller.

Post by EXPERIMENTAL EV » Jan 18 2017 3:26pm

wesnewell wrote:OK, if you have to turn the battery off and back on to get it to turn the motor again, it's not the controller LVC cutting it off, it's the battery bms. The controller will reset itself when it sags below lvc. Just letting up on the throttle and turning it again should start the motor turning again. But if it's the bms, you have to cut the power for it to reset, which appears what you are doing.

It does not have a bms and I'm just restarting the controller not touching the battery

999zip999   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 8931
Joined: Jan 10 2010 1:40pm
Location: Dana Point So. Cal

Re: Removing lvc on 48v controller.

Post by 999zip999 » Jan 18 2017 11:44pm

Battery what battery how about a pic in a link battery?

EXPERIMENTAL EV   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 22
Joined: Apr 26 2016 3:55pm

Re: Removing lvc on 48v controller.

Post by EXPERIMENTAL EV » Jan 19 2017 3:43am

999zip999 wrote:Battery what battery how about a pic in a link battery?
It is a homebuilt 9ah 48v sla panasonic pack. I dont mean to be rude but can someone please just tell me how to remove the lvc on the controller :roll:
Attachments
Battery (1).jpg
Battery (1).jpg (94.52 KiB) Viewed 2026 times
Battery (2).jpg
Battery (2).jpg (91.18 KiB) Viewed 2026 times
Battery (3).jpg
Battery (3).jpg (93.1 KiB) Viewed 2026 times
Battery (4).jpg
Battery (4).jpg (106.28 KiB) Viewed 2026 times

LewTwo   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1056
Joined: Apr 08 2014 4:46pm
Location: Houston, Texas
Contact:

Re: Removing lvc on 48v controller.

Post by LewTwo » Jan 19 2017 3:57am

EXPERIMENTAL EV wrote:
999zip999 wrote: I dont mean to be rude but can someone please just tell me how to remove the lvc on the controller :roll:
Not to be rude but probably not.
The more I learn the more obvious the immensity of my ignorance becomes.
Weight Wennie E-Bike https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 3#p1173723
Shaft Drive Grocery Getter https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =6&t=90718
...and thanks to Justin!

User avatar
Gregory   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1084
Joined: Jul 27 2007 9:18pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Removing lvc on 48v controller.

Post by Gregory » Jan 19 2017 6:38am

:D Sorry I can't help either.

If you're still open to advice, I'd stop focusing on changing the LVC and check the current the motor is pulling at no load. And what the voltage sags to.


1) x5305 Hub Motor in a 24" Sun rim with 10G spokes, Kelly 72601 controller, 74V 10Ah Turnigy LiPo 20C Battery and CycleAnalyst
2) Mac 10T rear hub in a 700C "comfort bike" 15S 5Ah LiPo, stock 28A Xie Cheng controller
3) 38" Longboard, Turnigy 6374, CC Mamba XL2 ESC

EXPERIMENTAL EV   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 22
Joined: Apr 26 2016 3:55pm

Re: Removing lvc on 48v controller.

Post by EXPERIMENTAL EV » Jan 19 2017 3:05pm

Gregory wrote::D Sorry I can't help either.

If you're still open to advice, I'd stop focusing on changing the LVC and check the current the motor is pulling at no load. And what the voltage sags to.

I have actually already had a look at those. The battery doesnt drop more than 2v and the motor only draws 3 amps. Do you know anyone on this forum that might be able to help?

User avatar
wesnewell   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7168
Joined: Jan 31 2011 6:25pm
Location: Wylie, TX, USA

Re: Removing lvc on 48v controller.

Post by wesnewell » Jan 20 2017 1:41am

Only drops 2V under a 3A load. roflmao. How much do you think it will drop under a 30A load. Those old sla batteries are shot. Under a normal takeoff, with maybe 15a draw my 10ah battery pack doesn't sag even 1V. Forget the LVC being too high. That's not your problem. The sla battery pack is. Under no load, my lithium pack doesn't sag more than 0.1V.
Need Advice? https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =3&t=66302
Mongoose 26" Ledge 2.1 mtb bike $99, yescomusa.com 48V 1000W rear hub kit $200, Hua Tong 72V 40A controller $35, 10ah 24s lipo $217=~43mph, range=45 miles @ 20mph. 25K miles and still going strong.
Huffy Fortress 3.0 with MXUS 3000 4T motor, 24s lipo, 96V 60A controller. Total cost with extras <$700. Top speed ~50mph
My videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0KW4U ... _G2wQhptMg

EXPERIMENTAL EV   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 22
Joined: Apr 26 2016 3:55pm

Re: Removing lvc on 48v controller.

Post by EXPERIMENTAL EV » Jan 20 2017 2:52am

wesnewell wrote:Only drops 2V under a 3A load. roflmao. How much do you think it will drop under a 30A load. Those old sla batteries are shot. Under a normal takeoff, with maybe 15a draw my 10ah battery pack doesn't sag even 1V. Forget the LVC being too high. That's not your problem. The sla battery pack is. Under no load, my lithium pack doesn't sag more than 0.1V.

You need to bear in mind that that 2v drop is from float voltage and these are brand new panasonic sla's. Im not saying these sla's are in any way superior to lithiums. But they are not sagging below the lvc listed on the website for the controller. I am going to purchase lithiums once I get the money to buy a decent pack.

User avatar
amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 27539
Joined: Aug 17 2009 6:43am
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group
Contact:

Re: Removing lvc on 48v controller.

Post by amberwolf » Jan 20 2017 3:34am

EXPERIMENTAL EV wrote:[ I dont mean to be rude but can someone please just tell me how to remove the lvc on the controller :roll:
Every controller model and brand is different, so it's pretty hard to say what you need to do for any specific model. But there is info on ES about doing this:

There are quite a few threads on changing controller LVCs, if you look around the forum at threads with titles like that. The search function can be used to look in just topic titles and list just topics (but then you'll still need to read the threads that come up to see if they are relevant, and if the controllers they have are similar enough to your own for you to apply their fix to your controller, or adapt the information to help you figure out how).

LewTwo   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1056
Joined: Apr 08 2014 4:46pm
Location: Houston, Texas
Contact:

Re: Removing lvc on 48v controller.

Post by LewTwo » Jan 20 2017 3:43am

You have a system with three major components:
1) Battery
2) Controler (that may include a display unit)
3) Motor
If you have eliminated (at least to you satisfaction) the battery and the wiring connections being at fault then the controller is the next logical choice. While all the controllers have some common design elements there are many variations. Unless you can find someone that is intimately familiar with the particular model you have, it is unlikely that you will be able to get instruction for testing or modifying the more obscure features. I would recommend obtaining a known good (i.e. cheapest, least sophisticated, 48 volt controller available for purchase) controller to validate that the controller is the problem.
The more I learn the more obvious the immensity of my ignorance becomes.
Weight Wennie E-Bike https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 3#p1173723
Shaft Drive Grocery Getter https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =6&t=90718
...and thanks to Justin!

thorlancaster328   1 W

1 W
Posts: 52
Joined: May 25 2018 3:20pm
Contact:

Re: Removing lvc on 48v controller.

Post by thorlancaster328 » Jul 29 2018 5:14pm

I have (AFAIK) the same type of controller that you have and I have figured out how to bypass the LVC.
Just solder a 47k resistor in parallel with the 24k primary resistor. The LVC will now be around 28 volts instead of 40.
The resistor to solder to is highlighted. If your controller is slightly different, it's the resistor with one end connected to VCC.
Image
Find weakest component, upgrade it, repeat until satisfied. Rome was not built in a day.
When in doubt, get bigger MOSFETs / Batteries / Motors / Etc.

Post Reply