Accell Motor with Integrated 5-Speed Gear Hub

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
ES Bible "Search found 62 matches: +Accell"... one more:

Accell Launches E-Bike Motor with Integrated 5-Speed Gear Hub:
http://www.bike-eu.com/home/nieuws/...tor-with-integrated-5-speed-gear-hub-10128755

Bike-Europe-Sparts-R5e-motor-272x211.png

Exploded view of new e-bike motor. Sturmey-Archer’s 5-speed IHG is shown at right side in front of three mounting bolts. – Photo Accell

Gear ratio

The new motor is a direct drive offering 40Nm of torque. Direct drive is in 3rd gear while the total gear ratio of the 5-speed stands at 242%. According to Accell this gear ratio is targeted to city use. “For sports use the cadence will be probably on the high side.” However, this new motor offers the possibility of combined use with a disc brake.

Accell Group is using the new motor in the 2017 Sparta R 5e. That’s a city bike that’s being introduced for a retail price of about € 2,000. According to Accell this price level already indicates that not an ION motor is used here. The company says, “However, it’s a motor offering the silent and direct drive ION characteristics. This price point is important to us as we want to strengthen our position in this part of the e-bike market.”

Bike-Europe-R5e-silver-560x374.jpg

(Currently, € 2000 = about $2135US.)

Looks neat. I am waiting for a thru-axle hub of some sort. How does this hub mount up? I see no threaded axle...

If you look at the lower right of the pic, you can see the IGH itself, which has the axle in it.

It's probably like other IGHs that have either two flatted axles, or one round and one flatted. It migth even have something like the Grin thru-axle motor that has an "integrated" torque arm (splines around the axle mount)..

spinningmagnets said:
I wonder if this is a re-branded TDCM hub. They have the same layout, and also the same 5-speed IGH inside the center.
Ya nailed it (I think).

spinningmagnets said:
I wonder if this is a re-branded TDCM hub. They have the same layout, and also the same 5-speed IGH inside the center.

Almost for sure. It's a shame that all of these companies always feel the need to rebrand everything as their own rather than just attributing the product to the actual manufacturer, it would make it a lot more transparent for end users to know what they are getting. TDCM is one of those companies that makes pretty awesome and innovative motor drives for all kinds of other businesses that slap on their own logo. I'm not sure what I know that is supposed to be under NDA, just trust that it's crazy how many famous brands TDCM is responsible for, yet almost nobody actually knows about the "Taiwan DC Motor Company".

I also don´t like the rebranding but on the other hand I belief that TDCM has no interest to be known from everybody. All the people on a need to know about e-bike Motors know TDCM and that´s enough for them, they don´t have any interest to answer question´s from consumers.
And if the public would know that in their high-price bike is just a cheap motor for 250usd they aren´t willing to pay 9000euro for a bike like "Stromer" even the Motor and all the rest has high Quality because the package is the value but sadly many consumer don´t see it this way
So in fact I belief that TDCM is doing it right for the interest of their own business standing not in the spotlight

regards
frank

OK, the obvious question, after reading the ads a couple of times. It seems that the motor does not power thru all the gears, only 3rd. Is this correct? They call it "direct drive", so I'm 99% on this. Just want expert corroboration. Thx.

bigoilbob said:
OK, the obvious question, after reading the ads a couple of times. It seems that the motor does not power thru all the gears, only 3rd. Is this correct? They call it "direct drive", so I'm 99% on this. Just want expert corroboration. Thx.
The middle gear of the SA IGH hubs 'locks' the drive axle (a tube in this case) to the external hub via some pawls on the left hand side. The other gears drive the external hub via a combination of planetary gears. From what I can tell the motor in this case rides on the outside of the hub via a flanged connection on the left side. The IGH hub provide the resistance to spinning the wheel in the bike frame.

This motor does not power THROUGH any of the 5 gears, it's a hub motor not a mid-drive. The gears are for you to be able to assist the motor by pedaling and third gear is direct drive, not overdriven or underdriven by means of internal gears. This means that it is the strongest gear with the least number of parts in play to wear out.

Thanks Woodland, and I agree with the motor's good points. Just wanted to point out that it is not geared, with THOSE good points......

Bump :twisted:
Any body tried it yet ? , just saw these and was thinking it might be possible to use as mid drive .. flip igh inside or reverse motor rotation to drive the 5 speeds ... trying to find good pics of the interior and reviews to judge if possible

Back