What are you guys building over the winter?

Just discovered disc brake mount bolt on cogs.
15-22T from VeloSolo

Larger from alternate manufacturers
See -"Drivetrain" in eBke Bargains

I plan on building a budget eBike with 350w gear reduction motor.
MY1016z3 ~10:1 gear reduction motor, rear brakes optional, relying on motor for rear braking-deceleration. (could add freewheel to motor)
Voltage and gearing options offer a great variety of applications.
Motor width allows mounting between cranks on some bikes or inside rear triangle if smaller rear tire used. (direct drive gear reduction instead of brakes)

Waiting on VeloSolo cog ... which gives me time to decide on what bike to use as donor.
Yes, I will have to lace acquired disc hub into some wheel.

Got a set of F/R 36h disc hubs. Front to add disc brake to eZip Ecoline 2, fork has disc mount.
Good price and saved shipping buying the set.

Oh! also purchased disc caliper with key lock, nifty deal.
As 2nd lock, plus cable lock, to make theft more difficult ... and prevent easy front wheel theft.
I also will further deter with a mix of Torx and Allen disc rotor bolts!

Two projects:
1) Three wheel Mongoose Dolomite sidecar which encompasses a wheelchair; 500w rear hub motor (for some reason the file is too big for pictures).
2) 29" bike with BBS02 and mini-cube which I hope will weigh 38 or fewer pounds.

I am slowly working on my bike, kind of want to get it done so I can frock around in the pow (snow) make some fresh tracks and rip up the public ice rinks with studded tires.

Recently rebuilt both rims on my main commuter. After that I am building original music. Love songs mostly...... 8)

I'm still rebuilding the SB Cruiser trike
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67833&start=375

I just "finished" a few things on it, such as:
-- putting the trailer hitch back on (easy)
-- adding a chainguard so cargo/etc can't push on the chain (not that I use it much but if I need it I will really need it to be clear) (easy)
-- swapping over the rear motor / controller of CrazyBike2 to be the temporary left wheel of the trike (probably couldn't have been much harder)
-- reconnecting the reverse switch (easy)
-- swapping out the 3rd brake light from the busted-up old HF LED one to a nicer-looking (but incandescent) one probably from a car (easy)
-- putting the HF LED light with a red lens cover to make it "stick out" and be visible from the sides, down on the bottom of the trailer hitch boom.
-- some other stuff I probably forgot

THere's a whole bunch of stuff still to do in the next few days, most of which probably will not get finished, but the trike will be a lot nicer when it's done. :)

I also build my own music, some of which is at
http://soundclick.com/amberwolf
Like pretty much everything I do, it is all always still a rough work in progress. ;) (there's never enough time or energy to finish anything).

Finishing off last year's build. A Kona (maybe a Chinese knockoff) MTB with a Chinese '1000w' 48v rear hub. Battery is a DIY job with Samsung 26F pink 18650 cells recycled from NOS laptop batteries. 13s12p, 54.4v , 31Ah. The controller draws around 32A max so I am close to the desired 1C draw on my cells. I'm getting a bit over 1700w out of this motor, not sure how well it will cope with that power level long term.

I changed out the flat bars for the swept back cruiser style and fitted a massive 13 inch wide comfy seat as this is a bike for on road cruising along country lanes and around my small town. It's a very low budget build, the bike cost me 26 ukp from the police auctions, all it needed was some air in the tires and a brake adjustment, the electric rear hub kit was 160ukp from ebay and the battery is made from 8 cell HP laptop batteries I got for about 5ukp each when I bought 20 of them in a bulk clearance lot on ebay. So the bike, electric kit and battery only cost me a little over 250ukp. Not sure how much all the other sundry bits and pieces cost, but it's still a cheap build.

Bike as bought:

Kona bike.JPG

Current status, working but needing many small jobs completing:

IMGP2826-WEB.jpg

Still working on the trike, maybe a third done with the new stuff.

The seatbox top is just sitting on the frame, with my weight holding it down, as I still have to decide exactly how it will be hinged (probably fold forward; makes the seat design less constrained as it won't have to fold into the cargo area/dog crate area).

The sides are done as are the front and back, except the last bottom slat on the left side and front (presently filled with styrofoam so stuff doesn't fall out as I ride, since I have to use this every day for work commutes/etc).

The seat box is the battery box, too, and cargo space. It's about as much space inside as a big toolbox.

It has part of the frame and the pedal chain passing thru it, but evne with that it's still a lot of usable space. I may eventually modify the center frame to remove most of that, but it's strong now and I dont' wnat to weaken it; gotta test it for a while the way it is first.

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

And here's why the downlighting is a good idea; it looks like this with it on
file.php

file.php

file.php

And this with it off
file.php

file.php

Huge difference in visiblity, especially from farther away, as cars approach from the rear, or I am approaching an intersection of a side street, or there are driveways/etc that enter the roadway from the side of the street I'm on.

If anybody says they "didnt' see me", they need to get their eyes replaced with ones that actually let light in. ;)

I'm working on a hopped-up BBSHD installation on my full-suspension fat bike. The bike has been run since new with a 52v 30a BBSHD from Luna, but that motor and its pair of Luna Sharks now reside on our second Deadeye Monster built to Karl's recipe.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

I plan to try Teslanv's battery bag and hope to find a way to carry a pair of Luna 72v rectangle packs. I'll start at 30a and work my upwards until it either breaks or it's fast enough! Given how much the swing arm twisted under 1500w I expect to run out of courage before I run out of amps!

BTW This bike is built for OHV areas and not for bike trails. We have legal Class 1&2's for that.

I am also planning on building a BBSHD mid drive because that is where all my research points.

Planning to build one around a full suspension gravities direct with the bluto fork if i can find one in stock.

I read through woodlanhills gravity monster build and found Karls site but bikes direct does not even sale that bike anymore.

I am riding around on a crappy pedego right now and it seriously sucks . Got to ride recently on a Luna BBSHD and it was just incredible.

Now to just figure out the right configuration and what bike will fit what battery pack. Been researching a lot but its hard to find the info I need in one place. I literally have 3 night worth of research in at this point.

It takes a lot to determine what's real and whats fake info with an agenda. You cant even tell when you get advice if its from a vendor or not.

But lucky its winter and i have plenty of time for research.

You can't ride it... But it involves bikes and electricity... During the welding anyway :)

KIMG00751.jpg

View attachment 3

The curvy sections are all cut out 26' steel rims...

KIMG01601.jpg

KIMG01611.jpg

Effect_20170127_184503.jpg

I just started as the way overaged apprentice to a hard core old school frame builder... so that last pic is the first time I've ever held a welder :D
He figured it would be a good place to get some ugly welds out of my system... Lol

We just got this beast for the shop too... so he's got me making seat clamps too...

Effect_20170127_191526.jpg

KIMG00471.jpg

KIMG00501.jpg

KIMG00491.jpg

Made those on the small mill, before he turns me loose on the big one... should have played with an etch a sketch more when I was a kid... Lol.
About the only parts he don't custom make for his bikes are the wheels and the chain....

Voltron said:
You can't ride it... But it involves bikes and electricity... During the welding anyway :)
WHen I look at that "wall" I see a bunch of things I could build out of it.... ;)

(not that I'd ever have *time* to do them, but I can't stop my brain from thinking of them)

Major upgrades to this bike:

DSCF4208.JPG

I'm removing the two boxes from the front (from left to right - a removable Pelican case that contains the battery, and a box for controller/shunt/stuff). I have a new 50v 18AH 18650 cell battery that will fit in the triangle. Not a huge amount of battery mind you, but enough for this bike. The controller will be moved to a smaller box mounted to the seat post.

Blue Ice Bike said:
I am also planning on building a BBSHD mid drive because that is where all my research points.

Planning to build one around a full suspension gravities direct with the bluto fork if i can find one in stock.

I read through woodlanhills gravity monster build and found Karls site but bikes direct does not even sale that bike anymore.

I am riding around on a crappy pedego right now and it seriously sucks . Got to ride recently on a Luna BBSHD and it was just incredible.

Now to just figure out the right configuration and what bike will fit what battery pack. Been researching a lot but its hard to find the info I need in one place. I literally have 3 night worth of research in at this point.

It takes a lot to determine what's real and whats fake info with an agenda. You cant even tell when you get advice if its from a vendor or not.

But lucky its winter and i have plenty of time for research.

Bikes Direct stopped selling the Sniper FS fat bike a while back, but they still come up for sale once in a while at Bike Island (the BD scratch and dent sales site).

Back