1st build - E-MTB | single drive | 6S | APS 6374 | VESC

After really long time spent planning and researching I have finally built my first E-MTB.

It's only single drive for now and I am using battery which I had for my old project. I've built this prototype to get a feel of riding an E-MTB, also to learn balance and stuff.
VESC is hand soldered by me.
It's fast and have very good acceleration 8)
Top speed geared to ~25km/h. Belt HTD 5M 15mm. I have connected sensors but they don't detect corretly so It runs sensorless for now. I needed to change min ERPM and min ERPM for integrator limit to get a smooth start from stand still.
My plan is to built a 4WD E-MTB with huge li-ion pack after release of VESC6.

There's video and photo:

[youtube]g3ZMGUQMWuc[/youtube]

Attachments

• mountainboard_v01.JPG
    mountainboard_v01.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,844
Looks good. How are these knobby tires? Do they roll nice on pavement/road?

Other than that - what battery do you use? Some insight into capacity / discharge rate would be nice :) Looks like it is not from one of the biggest ones out there :)

Do you have high gear ratio? It looks like you should get a bit more speed, especially.. though not sure what kv motor you got.. if it is 149kv or so.. the speed might be a bit on the low side..

--

Got 192kv, 4.33 ratio, 9inch wheels, 6s li-ion, speed around ~35kph

They roll nice but make noise.

Battery is crappy li-pol 6S 10Ah 10C. Enough for learning riding technique :D I can use like 6-7Ah before it starts cutting down power.

I wanna build big 12S li-ion battery in the future, something like 12S8P or bigger :D

Motor is 130kv; ratio 4.8; 9 inch wheels.
I've designed this for 12S, so double top speed of what it is now.

Oh ok.. I see now the reason behind high gear ratio and low kv motor then ;)

Btw that is one big battery - will u place ''all of it'' in the middle of the board?

Besides - nice DRV chip pic in your profile ;)

Yes all of it.

UPDATE:
Sensors are working now, I am running sensored FOC and love it 8) . It's almost impossible to hear the motor on low speeds. Ok, I hear that 20kHz PWM, but that can be set higher :D
Uphill performance is much better than in BLDC mode.

Average consumption is about 20Wh/km

VIDEO:
[youtube]mxdEsmIYt1k[/youtube]

How do you like riding with bindings? Havent you got a need to ''jump out'' of them yet?

I've ran into problems 2 times because of using bindings.. one time I couldnt turn enough and my foot got into the wheel, so that threw the board (me included) forward.. the second time I hit an ice block with a tire.. the same thing - I fell over with the board following me and landing on its surface..

Im starting to think that ''open type'' bindings is the best for front foot.. similar like ''Freeboard'' has..

Non the less - happy riding, looks like you also got a lot of snow where you live.. so glad it has been cleaned off the streets pretty much ;)

Back