Airbus CEO sees 'flying car'

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
Airbus CEO sees 'flying car' prototype ready by end of year:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-airbus-group-tech-idUSKBN1501DM

Starts off:
Airbus Group plans to test a prototype for a self-piloted flying car as a way of avoiding gridlock on city roads by the end of the year, the aerospace group's chief executive said on Monday.

Airbus last year formed a division called Urban Air Mobility that is exploring concepts such as a vehicle to transport individuals or a helicopter-style vehicle that can carry multiple riders. The aim would be for people to book the vehicle using an app, similar to car-sharing schemes.

Quote CEO "We are in an experimentation phase..."

:mrgreen:

These "drone" type autonamous personal transport systems, using a sort of Uber type ownership/ loan it out business plan,...does seem an ideal solution to the worsening urban transport situation.
The technology is almost there.... (mainly needs better battery capacity/ weight ).. to make it practical
Being automomous, you could own/part own a unit, but also let it earn some income for you as a "taxi" when you were not needing it.
...But i suspect the authorities will make it too expensive to operate !

Hillhater said:
...But i suspect the authorities will make it too expensive to operate !

I certainly hope so. Arrogant jackasses in cars have already ruined our cities for everyone. Who knows how much worse it would get when they make even more noise pollution and fall out of the sky without warning? I see only one possible upside to flying cars-- which would be substantially thinning the herd of wealthy a-holes.

^^^..at least they would be freeing up the roads for us to use !
...But i have to agree about the noise polution...i have a huge and increasing hatred of helicopter noise ...(rotor noise not engine sounds) ..especially over urban areas.

At CES this year, there was a drone that could carry one person on display. It's a actual flying drone. No details on endurance or anything. It has a pod in the center of four arms with eight motors and props.

Here, I found that drone.
http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/08/technology/ehang-drone-nevada/index.html

Back