Sitting in the pouring rain with 108v under my ballz

Jestronix

10 kW
Ive decided after much thought during an evening monsoon down pour, that its time to double down on the voltage :) Even though my connectors and packs are water tight, i just wasn't relaxed :) I'm dropping my pack to 13s for commuting and agree really that this is a good street legal voltage. I'm sure ill still feel a tingle, but no where near what a 26s pack will. In fact im playing with death at 108v me thinks ?

Off-road ill still ride 26s as i just love the power delivery.

Whos running high voltage on the street ? Thoughts ?

I

"... pouring rain with 108v under my ballz ..."
Drop the voltage. KFF are scary enough, you sure don't want to have to worry about a wienie roast.

I'm not *yet* running it, but once I build the pair of Lebowski's to run the motors, it's likely I'll run 28s, to series two 14s packs (rather than paralleling them as I'd have to now).

But I don't get much in the way of rain here, and even so I'm in the process of waterproofing the whole electrical system and trike.

It'd be nice to have a 26s pack that could be easily reconfigured from series to parallel at 2 x 13S in the event of rain - best of both worlds. My nutz turtle just thinking about 108V :shock:

Had my controller catch on fire once, controller being below my balls and on top of 1/2 kilowatt hour of RC LiPo. I was glad it was raining, I ditched the bike above a puddle and started scooping handfuls of water on it.

Balls and batteries escaped just fine

molybdenum said:
It'd be nice to have a 26s pack that could be easily reconfigured from series to parallel at 2 x 13S in the event of rain - best of both worlds. My nutz turtle just thinking about 108V :shock:

Yep this is what i have done, broke the pack in two and have a cable to go both worlds, when i use the pack offroad i use 108 @ 12kw :)

I would make a safe installation rather than changing battery voltage due to rain.
Seems like the wrong way to approach the problem.
(Then a lower voltage than 26s might be better overall for ebike use, but that's another question)

I am having trouble with my tyres leaking air, think I am going to change to fatbike wheels so I have more air to leak.
Or my front rim is bent, better install a front suspension so I get better handling.

26s isn't too bad in the rain, but can be distracting if it bites randomly.

13s Would just be generally lower headaches.

I run a low voltage, high amp ( 46v 80A ) setup and my battery's internal resistance is low enough to deliver a huge loud pop/bang when connecting the power leads in itself... So i imagine that low voltage, high current is just as dangerous.

Pick your poison!

liveforphysics said:

Wow you've had 100v + boots in the rain? Ouch

So 50v that 6 kw capable is just as deadly? I've always thought the higher the voltage the more invasive it is , as in its easier to cross the skin barrier.

many standards mention 42VAC or 60VDC as a safe voltage. I guess I'll stick inside this :)

neptronix said:
I run a low voltage, high amp ( 46v 80A ) setup and my battery's internal resistance is low enough to deliver a huge loud pop/bang when connecting the power leads in itself... So i imagine that low voltage, high current is just as dangerous.

Pick your poison!

It is current inside the body that is dangerous. But to get current in large enough amounts through the body you need electrical tension.
Even small currents can mess with body functions, there are many studies on this subject to read. We are talking mA not A.

This is why high voltage is considered dangerous and low voltage isn't. With a low enough voltage your body will be "immune" as the tissue is not a good enough conductor.
So even if your battery have "0" mOhm ir, it still needs an amount of electrical tension to be dangerous. So low voltage is not "just as dangerous".

Jestronix said:
liveforphysics said:

Wow you've had 100v + boots in the rain? Ouch

So 50v that 6 kw capable is just as deadly? I've always thought the higher the voltage the more invasive it is , as in its easier to cross the skin barrier.

50v I typically can't detect even grabbing it hand to hand so it crosses the chest with wet hands.

100-116vdc is noticed immediately when grabbed with wet hands, and often dry hands as well. Sometimes causing some muscle contractions.

Theoretically, even a 9v battery can kill you if you connected it leads piercing the skin on each side of your heart.

I can feel the tingle in my hands and back with dry hands when I pick up a 14s EIG pack (even at "empty") by it's end terminals. It's not much but it's enough to make me unable to carry it by them.

60V DC is an international standard for DRY skin to be fairly resistant to electricity shorting across it, or through it. However, take a small low-current 9V battery and touch it to your dry skin, then...touch it to your tongue. Even just 9V will give you a possibly painful buzz at low current, on a wet tongue.

If you try that with a high-current 12V car battery, the emergency room at the hospital will be surgically sewing up the stub of a tongue that is left after the high current has cooked the half that shorted the probes.

High voltage is dangerous. I have been promoting 52V as a reasonably safe maximum, BUT...even at 52V, 48V, 44V, or 36V...high current will ALSO fry your niblets. Search "Kentucky Fried Fingers" (KFF)

I have been testing 9v batteries on my tongue for years . Are you saying Spinningmagnets it may be best to use a meter ??? :shock:

Sextontom, have you been able to get any accurate voltage readings with your taste testing methods, or is this simply a source of entertainment for you :)

the standard domestic voltage in UK, Europe, Australia, and many other countries is 240v AC
however, some official decided many years ago that the "safe" voltage for mains powered hand tools and portable equipment in industry and work places is 110/120V AC,..and this has been the official standard since i were a boy !
but all domestic tools are still 240v ??...i guess we dont need the same level of safety around family members ! :shock:

spinningmagnets said:
60V DC is an international standard for DRY skin to be fairly resistant to electricity shorting across it, or through it. However, take a small low-current 9V battery and touch it to your dry skin, then...touch it to your tongue. Even just 9V will give you a possibly painful buzz at low current, on a wet tongue.

If you try that with a high-current 12V car battery, the emergency room at the hospital will be surgically sewing up the stub of a tongue that is left after the high current has cooked the half that shorted the probes.

High voltage is dangerous. I have been promoting 52V as a reasonably safe maximum, BUT...even at 52V, 48V, 44V, or 36V...high current will ALSO fry your niblets. Search "Kentucky Fried Fingers" (KFF)

That is a worry! so all these ebikes in the rain are deaths waiting to happen ?

sextontom said:
I have been testing 9v batteries on my tongue for years . Are you saying Spinningmagnets it may be best to use a meter ??? :shock:

waynebergman said:
Sextontom, have you been able to get any accurate voltage readings with your taste testing methods, or is this simply a source of entertainment for you :)

When I was like 8-10 it was a sort of rite of passage to lick the new 9v battery. You weren't a real man if you couldn't do it.

Spinning Magnets is right!
I got a minor taste of kff today, my having 3 packs to connect in series, 30V + 28V + 7V and here I am with a gut feeling that I shouldnt do what I am about to do and flash, shorted the 30V pack its 5P so we are talking like 100A+.

I need to buy some leather gloves and eye protection, but my wiring was frocking bad, trying to triple check it.
Anyways I got a slight burn, it looked worse then it was with all the black shit. The connector was still usable to get home.

I will be wiring it up with stupid-proof connectors.

flat tire said:
WTF. Don't compromise on your power, weatherproof your electronics.
Yeah, 72V never hurt me much. I got a few tingles through hangnails & cuts. If you wear latex gloves it solves that problem.
But you don't want any possibility of shorts, you want all connectors insulated and super-secure, no possibility of wires or anything coming loose and shorting. Nice rain jackets, and no bare copper that can get moisture on it to corrode and drain batteries with moist green paths.

Back