Bike Friendly City?

http://www.whittierdailynews.com/sp...yer-chandler-ray-killed-while-riding-his-bike :cry:
Sports High SchoolSanta Fe High School football player Chandler Ray killed while riding his bike
By Aram Tolegian, San Gabriel Valley Tribune
Santa Fe High School football player Chandler Ray died Thursday evening after being struck by a car while riding his bike at the intersection of Studebaker Road and Firestone Boulevard in Norwalk. He was 17.
Ray, a junior defensive lineman who alternated between the Chiefs’ varsity and junior varsity teams, was riding home from a friend’s house when he was hit by a car. It’s unclear whether Ray passed away at the scene or at a local hospital.
“It was just an accident, it was just one of those accidents,” Santa Fe varsity football coach Dave Pierson said. “I think we’re still kind of all in shock and somewhat disbelief. I know a lot of our players are. They can’t believe this happened and it’s very unfortunate.”

There was vigil held for Ray on Thursday evening, which Pierson and Ray’s teammates and Santa Fe students attended. Ray is the second local football player to pass away under fluke circumstances recently. In late November, Whittier Christian defensive lineman Ethan Hawks died from injuries suffered from being struck by an object that flew into his mother’s car while the two were driving on a local freeway.
“When it strikes one of your teammates, one of your players, it strikes right to the core,” Pierson said.

Pierson said Ray was a popular student due to his outgoing nature. He often went out of his way to visit teachers at the school every morning and give them a hug, regardless of whether he was in their class, Pierson recalled.
“He was a kid that you liked to have around,” Pierson said. “He was a great-spirited kid, very outspoken, he had his own opinion, but always listening to other people’s opinions. He was a strong football player and a strong athlete.
“I was looking forward to seeing him as a senior, but obviously we’re not going to have that. It’s back to the things that really matter. Not athletics, but kids growing up.”

Pierson said the Whittier Police Department is planning to make a donation toward Ray’s funeral arrangements. There is also a GoFundMe page for those seeking to offer help for Ray’s family.
“By no means does this family have loads of money running around,” Pierson said. “It’s just another family where an unforeseen tragedy has taken everybody aback.”

http://www.kcra.com/article/bicyclist-killed-in-stockton-crash/8553022 :cry:
STOCKTON, Calif. (KCRA) —
A bicyclist was killed in a crash with a vehicle Saturday evening in Stockton, police said.The crash happened around 6:40 p.m. at the intersection of 8th Street and Turnpike Road.
The driver was going through the intersection on a green light when the bicyclist rode through the intersection, Stockton police said. The bicyclist was then hit by the vehicle.
Police said the bicyclist was taken to the hospital, where he later died.
No other information about the crash was released.

http://www.dailynews.com/general-ne...ycle-killed-by-blue-line-train-in-willowbrook :cry:
By City News Service
A man riding a bicycle was fatally struck today by a Metro Blue Line train south of the Willowbrook/Rosa Parks Station in the unincorporated Willowbrook area of the county, authorities said.
The man died at the scene of his injury, which occurred about 6:55 a.m. at the grade crossing at Willowbrook Avenue and El Segundo Boulevard, Ramon Montenegro of the sheriff’s Transit Policing Division said.
Authorities were withholding the name of the man, who was in his 50s, pending notification of kin, according to the coroner’s office.
The Blue Line train was northbound when it struck the victim, Montenegro said.
Blue Line passengers en route to downtown Los Angeles were advised to transfer to the Green Line at the Willowbrook Station, and then transfer to the Silver Line at the Harbor Freeway Station. Also, a bus bridge was arranged to take rail passengers between the Willowbrook and Compton stations.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/cyclist-741471-roche-hit.html#fancy-1 :cry:
News
Cyclist dies after hit-and-run with car in Stanton
Jan. 18, 2017
Updated 11:28 a.m.
Early Morning Stanton Bicycle Fatal
OC Register
By JOSHUA SUDOCK / STAFF WRITER
STANTON – A cyclist died after he was hit by a car near Chapman Avenue and Beach Boulevard around 2:40 a.m., said Lt. John Roche of the Orange County Sheriff’s Department.
The driver fled before officers arrived.
The cyclist, an adult male, was transported to UCI Medical Center in Orange at 2:57 a.m., and died a short time later, Roche said.
Around 3:15 a.m., Garden Grove police made a traffic stop on a vehicle matching the description of the car that hit the cyclist. The driver was being detained and questioned as of 6:45 a.m., but had not been arrested, Roche said.
“The investigation is ongoing and we hope to know in the next few hours what exactly happened and if we’ve got the right guy,” Roche said.
Investigators did not know yet if the cyclist was using the crosswalk at the time of the crash, which street he was crossing, or if the driver ran a red light.
Anyone who witnessed this collision can call the Orange County Crime Stoppers to report information anonymously at 855-847-6227.

http://www.bakersfield.com/news/bre...cle_5e2f304a-0ee1-5f4a-a7dd-9093ed55108e.html :cry:
Bicyclist hit by alleged drunken driver has died, police said
The Bakersfield Californian
14 hrs ago
A bicyclist who was struck by an alleged drunken driver Monday evening has died.
Police said the bicyclist, who they identified as Angela Holder, died Wednesday. She was struck in the 1600 block of Golden State Highway.
The driver of the vehicle, John Giumarra, left the scene but was found at a Mobil station on F Street, police said. He was determined to be driving under the influence and arrested on charges of hit-and-run and causing an injury while driving under the influence.
Giumarra's exact age is unclear but he was born in 1968, meaning he'd be 48 if he hasn't had a birthday this month.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/bicyclist-struck-injured-hit-run-near-pier-39/ :x
By Bay City News on January 25, 2017 9:50 am
A bicyclist was struck and injured by a vehicle in a hit-and-run near San Francisco’s Pier 39 on Tuesday evening, according to police.
The collision was reported at about 5:40 p.m. in the area of Bay and Kearny streets.
A 32-year-old woman was riding her bicycle west on Bay Street when a vehicle tried to pass by her. The car hit the bicyclist, knocking her to the ground, police said.
The vehicle continued west on Bay Street and remained at large Wednesday morning. The victim was taken to a hospital with injuries that are not considered life-threatening, according to police.
Anyone with information about the case is encouraged to call the Police Department’s anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444 or to send a tip by text message to TIP411 with “SFPD” in the message.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-life/we-...about-hypothermia-and-burned-bronchial-tubes/ :shock:
Forget dehydration and sunburn. In Alaska, bikers worry about frostbite and burned bronchial tubes.
Author: Michael Engelhard
Updated: 20 hours ago
Published 21 hours ago
FAIRBANKS — Each fall I compile a to-do list for winterizing my bike, determined to get around to these things before the first flurries of white "termination dust" make tinkering outside undesirable:
• Slightly deflate tires for better traction on snow. (No money to buy studded ones.)
• Put on low-temperature chain grease. (Makes riding in low gears actually feel like riding in low gears.)
• Retrieve "pogies" from storage trailer and attach to handlebars. (They're mitten-like insulated shells that help keep your fingers from falling off — always useful for shifting gears and applying brakes.)
• Install reflectors and change batteries in headlamp. (Not even the gaudiest auroras give off enough light to navigate by.)

And then comes a morning when I step outside my cabin to find snow piled on the seat of my still-unmodified ride.

Wool Army pants, not Spandex
When I relocated from Moab, Utah, to Fairbanks, Alaska, a few years ago, I feared that I wouldn't find terrain as exciting as what I was leaving behind. But I quickly learned that the joys — and tribulations — of riding the wintry range equal the best that Moab's slickrock offers.
No need for tight, pricey Spandex here. Vital parts are safeguarded by heavy wool Army pants baggy enough for two pairs of long underwear and with pockets deep enough to carry bananas home from the store without having frost turn them into slimy black slugs. If you think Cossack-style hats look silly, imagine one beneath a bicycle helmet. A hooded down parka, knee-high homemade mukluks and beaver-skin mittens complete the en vogue cycling ensemble. On breezy days, a facemask is also a good idea — as long as I remember to take it off before entering banks or convenience stores.
My Moab friends complain about tires flattened by goat heads or cactus spines. Up here, the risk is from broken whiskey bottles and potholes that gape threateningly, like big-game pitfalls. Moose cross at unpredictable intervals, sometimes mistaking bikers for rival ungulates or mates. Although the streets of Fairbanks offer fewer topographic hurdles than, say, Moab's joint-busting Poison Spider Mesa Trail, significant weight loss and aerobic workouts can be expected. This is mostly due to snowdrifts and profuse sweating inside the Michelin Man clothing.
Instead of long wheelies or suicide jumps, the greatest challenge is simply staying upright. Black ice demands that you not hit the brakes or try to turn when entering intersections, no matter what's in your path.
After several falls on slick roads, I have perfected the paratrooper shoulder-roll. I've also learned how to steer one-handed between snow berms and bully trucks while flipping off drivers. Snowplows can suffocate or fillet you, or mangle your ride. On days when I'm too chicken to face traffic, I shortcut through the woods, though the trade-off is run-ins with snooty cross-country skiers.

Burned bronchial tubes
Another hazard is air quality. Freezing moisture blends with the reek from too many households that burn green wood and cars left idling because the owners know they likely won't restart. Even on clear days, deeply inhaled cold-and-dry air burns in your windpipe and bronchial tubes. In the summertime, the chokehold of wildfires that consumes the state can make you hack like a consumptive. It's as much fun as having your respiratory system sandpapered.
Fairbanks biker Melissa Guy near Airport Way in Fairbanks during a 2006 stretch of cold weather that was colder than minus 40. (Michael Engelhard)
Fairbanks biker Melissa Guy near Airport Way in Fairbanks during a 2006 stretch of cold weather that was colder than minus 40. (Michael Engelhard)
During my first winter of riding at 40 below, I wore a sweater with a metal zipper. Had I remembered that metal is an excellent conductor, I could easily have avoided the nickel-sized frost blister on my Adam's apple. On a different day, my tongue stuck to the bike's padlock when I tried thawing it out with my breath.

In short, while desert bikers worry about dehydration or sunburn, their sub-Arctic counterparts work to keep their noses from turning to stone.
I'm not that exceptional though. It's surprising how many people ride bikes in the dead of winter in one of the continent's coldest cities. There's the French expat (an accomplished classical violinist) who hauls bags of dog food for the huskies that share his backwoods home. There's Bob, who is wearing felt Viking helmets he sews and who wraps birch bark around his bike frame, which appears cobbled together from saplings. Another guy pulls an enclosed bike trailer with a clear-plastic window. (Is he carrying babies in there?)
My neighbor, a Zamboni driver at the Big Dipper Ice Arena, bikes to and from work wearing headphones and white "bunny boots."
With our snotsicles and waxy cheeks, our breath plumes and hulking silhouettes, we might look like members of Capt. Robert Scott's last expedition. But an inner flame fuels us, a deep-down awareness (call it stubbornness or call it pride): What is sport for some is transport for others. Regardless of trends, we are biking cool.

http://www.whittierdailynews.com/general-news/20170130/bicyclist-killed-in-whittier-hit-and-run/1 :cry:
By Ruby Gonzales, San Gabriel Valley Tribune
Posted: 01/30/17, 9:53 AM PST | Updated: 18 secs ago
0 Comments
WHITTIER >>Whittier police are looking for the driver who struck and killed a bicyclist then fled the scene Monday.
Police spokesman Officer John Scoggins said the bicyclist died at the scene.
The coroner’s office has not released the man’s name pending notification of his next of kin. Coroner spokesman Craig Harvey described the bicyclist as a Latino in his mid 40s from Whittier.
A woman driving a newer model Lexus hit the bicyclist in the 9100 block of Calmada Avenue around 7:30 a.m. Scoggins said the car was last seen heading west on Lambert Road.
Police described the suspect’s car as a pearl-colored 4-door Lexus with tinted windows and black-and-white paper plates. The car should have front end damage.
Anyone with information is asked to call Officer Richard Jensen at 562-567-9261, Officer Esteban Medina at 562-567-9259 or the Whittier police Crime Tipline at 562-567-9299.

Whittier PD Facebook account:
https://www.facebook.com/whittierpd...7075351430658/803773966427461/?type=3&theater

http://www.wfmj.com/story/34408080/bike-riding-now-legal-in-downtown-youngstown :shock:
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio -
You are now legally allowed to ride your bike in Downtown Youngstown.

Since 1974, it's been against the law to ride bicycles and motorcycles along Federal Plaza, but the rule hasn't been enforced for years.

When city leaders learned the law was still in the books, they felt it was time for an update.

“Downtown is thriving, ready for more business and ready for more growth,” said councilman Julius Oliver. “And at the same time, adding some things that some people in the community that don't have cars, or like to ride their bicycles more frequently, or rollerblade, or what have you, as we're putting in this bike path, we just wanted to basically make sure everything was working together for the greater good of Downtown and the city of Youngstown.”

Council also gave the stamp of approval to begin moving forward with a downtown resurfacing project. Parts of Federal and Market streets will likely be repaved in late July.

The project is expected to last a couple of weeks and may require some road closures.

http://hoodline.com/2017/02/as-sfmta-delays-cyclists-continue-to-wipe-out-on-17th-street-video :x
With Safety Issues Yet To Be Addressed, Cyclists Continue To Wipe Out On 17th Street
Last July, we reported on the dangers posed to cyclists navigating 17th Street's Muni tracks. But six months later, nothing has changed. Just yesterday, another cyclist crashed on the tracks.
"Another day, another SFMTA-caused bike wreck," said neighbor John Entwhistle.
In October, SFMTA spokesperson Ben Jose told Hoodline that he hoped the agency would be able to “share ... proposed designs with the broader community this fall."
Since that story was published, we’ve been in regular communication with SFMTA to find out when such a meeting would take place.

On January 3rd, Jose connected us with Neal Patel, who does community outreach for SFMTA. On January 20th, Patel wrote us saying that SFMTA has been developing proposals to improve safety on 17th Street (particularly between Church and Sanchez streets), and that the agency was planning to hold two outreach events on the week of February 6th to share ideas and hear from the community.
Monday’s meeting was intended to be from 4-6pm near the intersection of 17th and Church streets, and Patel said that he hoped the agency would be able to engage with people as they passed by. That was meant to be followed by a second meeting on Wednesday, to discuss safety issues, draft proposals, and potential solutions with community members.
Patel wrote that SFMTA staff would hand-deliver notices to 17th Street residents announcing the upcoming meetings. But on January 23rd, Patel wrote that the venue for the community meeting “fell through,” and that he was waiting on confirmation for another location.
However, just yesterday, Hoodline was told by SFMTA that next week’s meetings would not be happening. Patel wrote that the agency hopes “to have a meeting very soon."

John Entwistle, who lives on the block and has been championing the safety issue since last year, captured both of the above videos from a security camera attached to his 17th Street home.
He told us that although the rate of cyclists falling down on the tracks ebbs and flows, he's seen a spike in crashes in the past two weeks.
As much as Entwistle sees the Muni tracks, inadequate signage, and narrow street as contributing factors, he noted that double-parked cars and speeding vehicles pose a particular threat to cyclists navigating the 17th Street corridor.
Double-parked vehicles are apparent in both of Entwistle's videos.
"The average speed of cars going down that stretch of road is 27 mph," Entwistle told us. "The posted speed around the school says 'reduce to 15 mph.'"
If you're a cyclist, pedestrian, or resident concerned about the dangers posed by the 17th Street tracks, you can contact the SFMTA using these options.

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2017/02/08/cyclist-dies-north-berkeley-crash/ :cry:
Update, 1:35 p.m. Berkeley resident Chris Lull, who came upon the crash Wednesday morning, posted an account of it in the Berkeleyside comments. It has been republished below.

“I must have been third car on the scene at 7:08 or so, coming up from Gilman, as soon as we turned the corner onto Sacramento, I saw the bicyclist down and the driver out of his car calling for help. I stopped my car in the middle of the … lanes on Sacramento to try to prevent any more cars from coming through. The victim was prone and both legs looked badly broken. He wasn’t breathing and didn’t have a pulse. I turned him over to get his airway open, started chest compressions, I didn’t do any rescue breaths because there was just too much blood and I didn’t have a mask. There wasn’t much I could do. Between sets of compressions I kept checking for a pulse, trying to talk to him, rubbing his sternum to see if I could get any response. I told the guy on the phone to tell 911 to send an ambulance as fast as possible.

“I did this for another 45 seconds or so…. The paramedics from Berkeley Fire got there within seconds of that and went to work. The driver was talking to police, there was another car who got there before I did who might have been an eye witness, she left her name with the police, as I did.

“I am speculating but the tendency of northbound cars to merge there, especially when it’s raining and still dark, combined with a bicycle without a helmet, all combined to take a life this morning.

https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/houston-metro-cyclist-deaths-new-safety-messages-bike-plan :cry:
uring Super Bowl 51 weekend in Houston, two fatalities, both involving a light-rail train and a bicyclist, have shined a spotlight on bike safety in the city, KPRC 2 News reports.

Related Stories
San Diego Is Ready to Go Big on Biking and Walking
Melbourne Floats Idea of Elevated Bike Path
The Year of the Bike Commuter
Boston Cyclist Crowdfunds for Tactical Urbanism
On Friday morning, a Rice University professor tried to bike through a rail crossing ahead of an oncoming train. Then, during the game on Sunday, a man riding the wrong way on a road turned into the path of the train.
The crashes come as City Council prepares to take up the Houston Bike Plan, a 10-year plan created by nonprofit BikeHouston to add more than 500 miles of bike lanes in the city. While prior to last weekend there had only been two fatalities involving a train and bicyclist since Houston’s MetroRail system opened in 2004, advocates with BikeHouston​ point out that there is an average of five bicyclist deaths a year in Houston, and that many of the city’s roads — including 610 where Sunday’s crash happened — do not have safe infrastructure for cyclists.
In response to the fatal crashes, MetroRail put out public service announcements hoping to create more awareness around safety, and authorities say they’re looking to see if there are better ways to improve safety.
The Houston Bike Plan also calls for the city to investigate the role street design plays in fatal bike crashes. This week, in a statement urging passage of the plan, BikeHouston outlined just how follow-ups to such fatalities can be better handled.

Following each death, the City and other officials should start an investigation asking: “Why did the death happen?” A full investigation should be done that includes, how could the designs of these roads and intersections be improved? Does an alternative route need to be provided? What were the human mistakes and how do we change the road design to make it harder for these mistakes to happen? … Beyond the direct answer of always stop for trains, what are the underlying and contributing factors in these cases? Regarding the 610 crash: Why was a person riding a bike on the 610 feeder road? Can we provide a safer route through this part of town? Regarding the Sunset crash: How can this complex intersection be simplified? How can the signals be improved to result in more compliance with the signalization?

Safe street advocates across the U.S. argue that putting the onus on pedestrians and cyclists to avoid being hit by cars or trains is part of the problem, and that cities should instead focus on building streets that pedestrians and cyclists can use without putting their lives at risk.
Additionally, white, middle-class cyclists often have better access to safe streets than cyclists of color or lower-income riders, and public forums on these issues can be exclusionary. When working on its plan, BikeHouston aimed to tackle this issue by visiting roads in early morning commuting hours and talking to a diverse range of cyclists directly.

“If you’re only holding public meetings, who is able to hear about the meeting and take the time out of their day to attend?” Mary Blitzer of BikeHouston said in 2015. “Who is going to feel like the process will actually benefit them based on the incredibly racist history we have in the United States?”
City Council will vote on the plan later this month.

[Yawn] Another cyclist killed in traffic. OH. WAIT. It was an electric bike? That's news!

From Singapore 57-year-old man riding electric bicycle dies after accident with car in Hougang:
http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...cycle-dies-after-accident-with-car-in-hougang

Article ends:
This is the latest in a "spate" of fatal e-bike accidents.

In November last year, a 62-year-old e-bike rider died after an accident with a tipper truck. Two other e-bike riders - aged 18 and 25 - died in an accident involving three e-bikes and a trailer in October.

In 2015, there were 151 road traffic accident fatalities in Singapore... but that's not a "spate".

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article132633489.html :cry:
Middle school student killed in Foothill Farms area while riding bicycle
By Nashelly Chavez
A Foothill Ranch Middle School student was hit and killed this morning while riding his bike in the Foothill Farms area, according to the California Highway Patrol and Twin Rivers Unified School District.
The boy’s death occurred Tuesday morning at Hillsdale Boulevard and Palm Avenue just after 8 a.m., said Chad Hertzell, CHP spokesman. The intersection is about 1 mile southwest of the middle school. The teen was not wearing a helmet at the time of the collision.
The Sacramento County Coroner’s Office identified the victim as Muheebullah Rajabi, 13, of Sacramento. The incident happened before classes start at Foothill Ranch, according to the school’s website.

Hertzell said the boy was riding on the southbound sidewalk of Hillsdale Boulevard near Palm Avenue going northbound when a car was pulling out of a 7-Eleven parking lot. The driver was trying to make a right turn when he hit Rajabi. The 13-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene.
Hertzell said two other boys, one of which was possibly Rajabi’s brother, were also riding on bicycles at the time of the incident. The driver tested negative for drugs and alcohol and was cooperating with officers, he said.
“I would emphasize not wearing a helmet likely led to this boy’s death,” Hertzell said. “If he was wearing a helmet, he would likely to be alive today.”
Hertzell said the law requires people younger than 18 to wear a helmet.
A team of chaplains, school psychologists and counselors were on hand at Foothill Ranch to help students and school staff, the district said.

This is a major reason why I don't wear a bicycle helmet. It's not for protecting cyclists; it's never been very good at that. It's a prop for motorists to use when blaming the victim, and a propaganda tool to make cycling seem dangerous. Lack of a helmet doesn't kill. Cars kill.

http://napavalleyregister.com/star/...cle_a45cdbd0-5178-51e9-8d98-8861e750c029.html :cry:
And:
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article132851744.html :cry:
By Bill Lindelof
A bicyclist was killed by a hit-and-run driver early Wednesday north of Yuba City, according to the California Highway Patrol.
The 77-year-old still-unidentified bicyclist was declared dead at the scene about 4 a.m. on East Onstott Road north of Pease Road. His damaged bicycle was nearby.
Evidence found at the scene indicates that the vehicle that hit him may be a late 1980s or early 1990s GMC or Chevrolet pickup or sport-utility vehicle. The hit-and-run vehicle likely has front-end damage, including a broken headlight and broken right-front running light.
Anyone with information about the crash is asked to call the Yuba-Sutter CHP office at 530-674-5141.

http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article133910944.html :cry:
By Andrea Figueroa Briseño
A man died Monday afternoon at Community Regional Hospital after he was hit by an Amtrak train in southeast Fresno.
The incident happened around 1:20 p.m. near East and California avenues. The train was heading southbound when an unidentified man who was headed east went around the crossing arms with his bike and was hit by the train, said Fresno police Lt. Joe Gomez. The victim was transported to the hospital where he later died.
Gomez said the train would continue on its way within a few minutes. No other information was immediately available.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/...arizona-after-altercation-motorist-passengers :cry:
By DAVE HAWKINS
SPECIAL TO THE LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL
Police are investigating a homicide following a deadly altercation between a group in a vehicle and a bicyclist in Bullhead City, Arizona.
Department spokeswoman Emily Fromelt said gunfire erupted around 5 p.m. Monday after a confrontation between four people in an older-model Honda Civic and a man on a bicycle on the 500 block of Riviera Boulevard.
Police officers arriving on the scene found the bicyclist, 33-year-old Juan Pedro Flores, dead. Witnesses said the occupants of the Civic — three males and a female — sped away after the shooting.
Police spokeswoman Emily Fromelt said a reward of up to $1,000 is offered for information leading to an arrest in the killing.
Anyone with information may call the Bullhead City Police Department at 928-763-1999 or Mohave Silent Witness at 888-227-8780 to remain anonymous.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/transportation/sd-me-bike-law-20170222-story.html :)
By Joshua Stewart•Contact Reporter
Only Idaho is similarly lenient for bike riders
February 22, 2017, 6:00 PM
Bicyclists would be allowed to pedal past stop signs — without stopping — under legislation proposed by two lawmakers who say it would make the roads safer.
The two-tiered approach to the rules of the road — one for cyclists and one for cars — is unlikely to ease growing tensions over sharing California’s roadways.
Environmentally conscious bike advocates have won such victories in the statehouse as requiring drivers give them three feet of elbow room or face fines. Motorists meanwhile have expressed frustration that they see certain cyclists pick and choose which laws to follow.
Assemblymen Jay Obernolte, R-Hesperia, and Phil Ting, D-San Francisco, introduced their measure on Friday to allow bicyclists to treat stop signs as merely yield signs — proceeding with caution if conditions are safe........

Back