KiwiEVs next project fast EV

nice vid kiwi. i really like the sticker on the vector bike, breakes up the profile nicely :wink:

keen to do a similar build to your hilux myself but need to find some financing for the components..those motors/controllers aint chaep!
what sort of voltage range do those motors operate on, im thinking 6 tesla modules seriesed will be 129.6v nom,150v fully charged@ 256ah..
thanks heaps for sharing

RTL

ridethelightning said:
nice vid kiwi. i really like the sticker on the vector bike, breakes up the profile nicely :wink:

keen to do a similar build to your hilux myself but need to find some financing for the components..those motors/controllers aint chaep!
what sort of voltage range do those motors operate on, im thinking 6 tesla modules seriesed will be 129.6v nom,150v fully charged@ 256ah..
thanks heaps for sharing

RTL

Thanks mate yeah the sticker is cool from a distance.

Motors have 2 controller options 96 to 129 volt or 144 to 169 volts I think your tesla pack will be ok on the higher voltage they are also a 500amp controller.
Cheers Kiwi

so if i use the 144-169v controller, still ok with pack that will be operating below 144 v for much of the discharge cycle? (108-151.2v range)

ridethelightning said:
so if i use the 144-169v controller, still ok with pack that will be operating below 144 v for much of the discharge cycle? (108-151.2v range)

I will find out, I have operated my one down to 133 volts static. But when im driving it drops down to 110 volts under load you may have to drop a module and go to the lower voltage controller.

Cheers Kiwi

I think iv decided to get 7 of the tesla 5.9kwh modules. dont want to skimp on battery size, though it will stretch my finances very thinly. difficult to add more later.

So, looking to start the selection process for the vehicle for my build now.
im keen to get a dual cab ute, with good ground clearance.
suggestions have been holden rodeo, mazda bravo, ford courier, and of course one of the lighter highlux models, 90s, before they made them with 3.0l engines.
just wanted to ask, from a conversion point of veiw, will any of these be more or less suitable? I mean the lightest weight is always good, but perhaps there are some features i am not aware of that will be a pain in the ass when it comes to swapping out the engine..

Did you choose the highlux dual cab deliberately or was it just conveniently available?
do you think a 4wd would have much more consumption/weight then 2wd when not in 4wd ?(assuming the front hubs are manual lock type)

just wanting to glean some advice from some one who has probably made all these choices already :)

cheers ,
RTL

ridethelightning said:
So, looking to start the selection process for the vehicle for my build now......
If you have trouble deciding you might want to consider the crash rating, and if the safety features such as airbags add extra complexity. Early style airbags used basic inertia or impact contractors but later model safety systems started to integrate into the CAN bus as ABS and side intrusion airbags became more common.

So have been working for the last 3 weeks hopefully home this week.

So we are now agents for HPEVs high performance electric motors on the east coast of Australia and will supply motors at trade prices pm us if you are interested.

We will also back this up with motor adapters, advice and have a Curtis programer to help anyone out.

Cheers Kiwi

So I installed the new optical controller which was good and bad.

First the small hex screws that lock the disc on the shaft are fiddle and bloody hard to find when you drop one on the floor. Got it installed and it fired up then I screwed the cover on and ground its self into the disc which put metal and plastic filings into the optical sensor and faulted the controller. Took cover off and then drilled a hole in the cover to allow room for the drive shaft.
This worked well until the shaft heated up and ground more crap, faulted the controller multiple times that cleared with key start cycles to get home.
So im going to run it with the cover off.
Cheers Kiwi

Right ES members I can get hold of Tesla 420kw drive unit with controller hack and gearbox shafts etc.

AUD$15,000

Plus shipping and taxes

Pm if interested

Cheers Kiwi

Ahhhhhhhhhh I wish I had $15K....can I pay with my left Testicle instead?

Just as a matter of interest what else would be required to get that to run? (Batteries, contactors, accelerator etc)

galderdi said:
Ahhhhhhhhhh I wish I had $15K....can I pay with my left Testicle instead?

Just as a matter of interest what else would be required to get that to run? (Batteries, contactors, accelerator etc)
Left and right balls will get you a deposit lol.

Just need throttle, 400 volt battery pack and a safety contactor for maintenance.

Cheers Kiwi

Hillhater said:
Are there any fully running Tesla PU drive transplants running yet .?
I know there are several in progress but i dont recall any fully completed.

I'm fairly sure EVTV have got there VW ute going but that's a different hack.
We are using a firmware hack.

Cheers Kiwi

Hillhater said:
Yes , he looks to be about 90% there, and certainly seems to have it well sorted.
....but, much like the EVTV crew, not your average DIY amateur. !

We a really trying to make these units plug and play by doing firmware we dont need to scan the Tesla can bus and mimic it. This firmware will directly control the inverter.

Cheers Kiwi

another hilux buid begins here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=88393

thanks for the help so far kiwi!

According to jack on evtv the chips on post 2014 investors are locked down with security so you can't re flash firmware, are you using older drive units or pulling and replacing the chips?

Back