Tats BigHit 3 BBS02 / Demo 8 ii phaserunner h35 Build

Now parts ordering is happening I'll turn my attention to setup.

Battery is an em3ev 10s9p Samsung 32e so a conservative 28.35 aH. I think the BMS an cope with 40A continuous. So I think a peak of 35A should be reasonable. Not sure yet on what phase current I should use so any advice welcome.

CA v3 will have PAS as the main mode of input. Looking at 3 modes using the preset and digi-aux for this. Pot for setting pas to a cruising speed/amp draw/watt level when using PAS to achieve speed/range balance. Throttle is just to have an occasional power boost.

Preset 1 - PAS 250watt 25 km/h speed limit no throttle - starting setting
Preset 2 - PAS up to 550watt, pot can reduce this, no speed limit, throttle limit 1000w
Preset 3 - PAS up to 750watt, pot can reduce this, no speed limit, throttle max

This will be the tricky bit....if there are any pointers again I'd love to hear them. The pas is the std magnet ring and not sure if the latest ca software has the rpm/watts feature yet.

This bike has really caught my eye , hub or mid is my problem , could a mid fit this frame ? I see custome batt build , jam some batts in centre. This as a 3kw mid would rock. But I suspect this can't be done .

The bottom of the frame is pretty flat and with the shock and flared support pieces it'd be awkward in my opinion. It's difficult to see in the picture but the seatpost to bottom bracket part of the frame (red with black decal angled) sticks out about an inch to clear the shock. So chainline to mid mount motor is pretty much not possible. The big hit is in my view more suited to mid drive

Mocked up where the phase runner is going - on the horizontal tube at the bottom of the triangle, the bar above the shock. Cables to exit rearward and I'll get a small tube bag initially and hold excess cable here until I shorten everything.
Installed the CA suite and Phaserunner suite and have a draft configuration saved. First time I've used the CA suite to set up a config and such a nice configuration tool. So much easier and faster than using the press buttons.
Need a small piece of aluminium to make a CA mount across the stem - as these are boxer shocks with a Funn RST stem there's no clearance for the CA stem mount. With the much reduced cabling of the v3 I'm hoping its going to be quite a neat build.
Think I may have a clearance problem with my Avid code caliper though - looks like I'll need about 20mm between the caliper and the motor.

Started mocking things up. This was the order - PAS, CAv3, rest of the cockpit, controller - hoping I can put the motor in this w/e.

The Phaserunner is really narrow and from the seat unnoticeable when looking down. Really nice to have only two cables from the CA going down the frame - controller connection and thermistor.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 3,692
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 3,692
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 3,692
Ht3540 arrived today - thanks Jay - looks good with the black and silver. Brake calliper has plenty of clearance too so very happy. Connected up to phaserunner but can't autotune at the moment. Suspect I have a Comms issue between my old mac and the controller.

FIXED IT.....

For info the Phaserunner suite on my old iMac and brand new iMac consistently got a Phase error during the static test. The version I was using was v.0.9.9.1 from 27 December 2016. I also tried v.0.9.9.2 on the macs but to no avail.

I booted into windows and installed the windows version v.0.9.9.2 from January and it worked!!!! Its found a hall error and running senseless at the moment but it fixed the problem I had with the mac software versions.

whats the thru axle on this 10mm ? I was thinking it was a 12mm ? also not square dropouts ? just wondering how you will deal with this :)

Nice progress Tats. I love that model specialized. If I didnt have so many bikes I'd have a strong desire to make a neat little 18650 battery to fit in the triangle in a carbon fibre box. Not crazy high powered or long range obviously, but a nice little 'heavy pedal assist' pack, maybe a mac or hotted up bbshd. Anyway enough of my offtopic musings, on with the build! Get your first test ride on 36v out of the way so you can move on to making a proper battery for it :p

With a CF battery box there it'd be very nice Jay - heaps of space on the seatpost too.

Was invited to bring the bike inside and work in the study to fix the PR programming by SWMBO....so here are some progress pics. As you can see the torque arm attachment is proper engineering and will definitely pass factory acceptance testing lol. Have to fit new tyres and tuffy liners first - this was just to get the electrickery working for now making sure I don't grab a cable or rotate and damage a drop-out. Connections are housed in the tiny seat bag. Grips, bar ends, rack, saddle, mud guard, chain, derailleur limits, brake bleed, tyres, all pretty easy stuff.

The Presets work really nice with PAS limiting by the pot looking like it's going to be just the job. With the pot, when you turn the pas right down it defaults back to preset 1 "legal" mode with 250w PAS only, no throttle so that's a pretty useful and a gotcha at the same time.

Unloaded 90A phase current and 20A field weakening with a mid charged 36v system the unloaded speed was 55km/k and a 4.5A draw at that so my 40km/h on the flat will be very achievable. Voltage upgrade is definitely a future option - need to check how high the satiator I've got will charge to - think its 14s.... My current BBS02 commute is 550-620wH - with regen on this bike and more efficient motor I'm interested to see if that comes down or goes up.

Attachments

• image 2.jpg
    image 2.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 3,637
Almost there - did a couple of kms and this is very nice. Totally silent motor. Was able to keep 35 km/h up steep hill without pedalling. Presets work perfect with the cav3 so nice to have a 100% legal setting.

Setting up the rear derailleur for 7 speed is currently an issue for me - shimano 7 speed freewheel and the shifts are inaccurate with the 9 speed shifter. Have set up the limits ok and I thought it would work from say gears 9-3 on the trigger? Do I have to fit a 7 speed trigger to get the shifts correct? As it seems to be indexed differently - I was expecting the cluster to be indexed the same, just shorter as 2 gears were missing? The spring on the derailleur also seems weak at pulling to the smallest cog. Have a 7 speed shifter and new chain ready to go if reqd...

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 3,597
7 speed shifter and new cable sorted rear dr problem - thanks Warren.

Bike is super quiet and goes up hills with my less effort than the BBS02 for the same power. It's night and day really and has surprised me. My gearing is way to low with 36T x 12T so I'm not able to spin fast enough to add anything to the climbs I'm currently trying. Need to figure out what is the max chain ring I can fit with the bash guard. With 36v its impressive so with higher votes it must be a right laugh. Bought a Brooks saddle to replace the Prologo and I can now understand why people rave about these things - super comfy. I'll post some stats soon - so far only a done a couple of k's and getting 7% regen and 13.9 wh/km.

14km ride - 7km out using the 350-550W ps 'economy' settings regen was 2.9% and 13.9 wh/km mostly downhill this section. Came back same way but with a 35A limit mostly full throttle PAS 350-750W and combined was 2.4% regen and 16.6 wh/km. Regen is only working when I brake, haven't set it up for 0v throttle mode as yet. Total 6.5Ah off a 38v SOC battery at the start. On the flat I was in the mid-high 40s. I guess as I am sending in up to 20A field weakening its a little heavy on the juice when the full throttle is applied.

Bike is super silent and I can only pedal about 35km/h with the front chain ring being so small. Need to add some weight to the front though with my battery on the rear rack and take some air out of the shock as its a bit rough. Rear shock is perfect. Also need to swap the skinny ODI grips as they're a bit hard and small for my hands. So much more refined than the BBS02. Even though I have the controller set to sensorless there is zero cogging off the line.

Consider using a FSA Metropolis Patterson on the cranks. It will give you 1X and 1.6X settings on your front ring. I run mine with a 39T ring, limited due to limited clearance on the chainstay, giving me a virtual 62.4T ring up front. I can comfortably pedal at 40 mph :D

Back