LiPo fire destroyed my beach cruiser. Warning for others!

cryzymotor said:
i think the real reason what caused the fire is the balance charger!!!

i never use balancer on BMS or charger, i told each of our cusomers, but but but i take notice of many many guys use li battery and lipo battery without BMS and use balancer for charging.

why cells will lose balance after some cycls, it is short circuit inside cell, we name that is is tiny short circuit. It is a certain physical property of each cell. There is no two same cells at all. We just choose or select some most simillar cells to build pack, after some times of charge and discharge, it aggravate the tiny short circuit, so we can see different voltage from cells, if we charge without balance the weak cell will be different with others more and more. and we should change the whole pack when we cant accept the shorter ridding range. It is this process to find which is the bad cell. It tell us do not use again and it dangerous.
But you charge with balancer inside BMS or charger, you will make different cells looks same, you will not know who is the bad one, so you charge and discharge again and again. The tiny short circuit becomes real short circuit inside cells, so it caused fire.

So do not balance cells again, guys!

The tiny circuit comes from tiny hole of plastic saperater and small thorn on the edge of anode and cathode once cutting.

Hi Cryzymotor, balance charging prevents each cell from being over charged, which might happen if you bulk charge a battery that has some bad cells. Checking the voltage after the charge is good, but might be too late to prevent a problem.

To monitor for bad cells, I think checking their voltage while under load is a good indication. A bad cell will show a much lower voltage when being used.

I don't know how the tiny short circuits could become worse and cause a fire, but I do know over-charging will cause a lipo to catch fire.

Were those some fuel cans next to your bike?

Colin

Hell no!
The white container is engine coolant, orange is bulk car wash & red is a jump starter. All flammable liquids are stored at the opposite wall, away from the work area & the exits. I made some dumb mistakes with the LiPos, but I'm not completely dumb, especially with workshop safety.
Good spot though.
Always keep escape routes clear & fire extinguishers as close to the exits as possible. Then, if all goes to crap, at least you're near an escape point. No good if the extinguisher & door are on the other side of the fire!

AussieRider

Aussierider, if you rebuild those beautiful cargo boxes, please take lots of pics of the entire process. I'm sure that there are many builders who would like to give that a try.

Spinning magnets, I'll do that. This time though, I'll keep the camera away from my daughter who erased the photos of the last panniers build to make room so she could take pics to post on You-Twit-Face. The rebuild is gonna take some time though.

AussieRider

Thankful;y the house did not catch fire. Frightening really.
After seeing the photo of the charred bike I don't think I will be leaving even the 18650 battery pack untended while charging.

Back