Manufacturers and dealers to avoid

Ok, I think we understand the Golden Motor level of customer satisfaction, so lets hear about other vendor experiences. Now, I have only dealt with my local bike shop, which has made it extremely easy when I broke the axle on my Wilderness Energy hub. Its better to deal with a person face to face if you can, I got my new hub back and mounted on the rim in less than a week. No questions asked (definately don't tell them that you were hammering it in to your dropouts :oops: ).

Right now I'm waiting for a Magura throttle from Electric Vehicle USA that doesn't have them in stock, so it could be a while, but I havent heard back from them. Now, I hate to complain about green business down for the cause, but this is where we can seperate the dedicated businesses from the workshop based websites. I would like to hear about any website., The Good 8) , The Bad :x , and The Ugly :twisted: . Lets hold these guys accountable.

Besides, If they send you crap in airplanes that burn tons of fuel, and arrive in trucks burning more fuel, and then you have to pay someone to take their shite to the scrap hard!!!!! That isnt very green, now is it?

Yes Another Golden Motor Story,

I ordered the 500W 36V 26" wheel and that has been great.

However I also ordered the Golden Motor 10AH LIFEPO4 battery and that came 2 months after the wheel. It then only lasted 4 cycles before 1 cell liteerally blew up as I was riding. Gas pressure built up in the cell and bang!. I emailed Philipp Yao for replacement cells which he promised to send (I didnt even ask for a whole battery). 2 More months and many emails later, nothing! So I will have to order another battery but NOT from GM.

Cheers,

Peter Le Lievre

Yep, another GoldenMotor.com sucker here...

1000w motor with regen controller ordered.
Controller fried on the second day. Sent several email with no response. Bought a replacement controller from robert.
Motor phase wiring fried now after installing new controller.

Out $500+ bucks now with no response or reply from phillip.

Do not buy from Goldenmotor.com

I think solarbbq ( island earth ) has had some problems supplying items in decent time frames, he is doing his best to keep on top of things, but has been difficult year after having most of my stock stolen back in december, is taking way longer to get back on top of things than expected, he humbly apologises for people still waiting for bits and pieces, quite challenging also to handle all the aspects of the biz and still get time to tinker and post on endless sphere, but things on the improve, once again apologies for delays.

Ampedbikes does not sell GM kits. I have a GM kit I ordered from amped about a year and a half ago.

Golden motors lifepo4 batteries only
GM lifepo4 batts have definitely had some problems from the start looks like he needs a different supplier. Communication is slow as it usually is from China but looks like he is eventually getting around to replacement of the bad batts although not always with good results. Have the feeling he is having them shipped from his supplier what a mess it is. My purchase from him was fine although communication could be improved and it took near a month for the kit to arrive which is not unusual from what I have read for shipments from China.
I have 1800+ miles on my GM 500w motor with Foxpower lifepo4 and the combination has been great. I did toss the supplied GM kit wheel though as it had a flat spot and was to lightweight for my planned use. Just modded for 48v and now it is a real e-bike wow what a change!

Cnkcgroup Yongkang Lohas Vehicle Co., Ltd.
I bought a sample to showcase their workmanship. Kceb 46. Had it sent airmail (yes I expected cosmetic damage).
Back brake light doesn't light up because the cable isn't connected(it lights up with the headlight but not brake pull). Their reply in email said the worker gave up when he couldn't figure it out. WTF!
Positive and negative leads from the battery fell out of the plastic clip(good thing no battery was in it).
The second rider foot mounts are welded incorrectly such that the plastic covers can't go on.
If it was a sloppy worker you'd think that they would have double checked the bike before sending it. This makes me think it's more systemic.
It's a good thing I brought in the sample cause they were going to be my next order(well not anymore).

Golden Motors - Don't trust them.

These (BEEP BEEP ) sent me a controller that did not have a speed sensor. Though I must have wired it up wrong, i sent link some pics to confirm. Needless to say, the wires were all screwed up. I have no idea how they are still in business. Got a new controller and the motor works. The rim is all effed up. Not true or round at all. Closer inspection, it seems like they just slapped it together, just to keep it together. Another thing to get done. some spokes were tightened all the way while others were barely strung.

Ellen Jiang
GBP Battery Co., Ltd.
Tel: +86-755-88299465 ext.668
Fax: +86-755-88299467
www.gbp-battery.com

IS TO AVOID !!

I ordered two BMS from them for 12s with 50A continuous current..

-They took many weeks before answer to my questions

-They charged be 140$ us for two piece of crap WITHOUT ANY BALANCING FONCTION (and it is supposed to be a rebate that they gaved to me!!)

-The two pieces have cutted trace on the PCB and they said it's normal... THE PROBLEM.. IS THAT THEY LINK TO THE MOSFET DRAIN MAIN PIN !!!

They did not helped me for that trace problem.. and said they have different version of their BMS... WHAT???

THE BEST PART: Their webpage HAVE A VIRUS !!!!

Attachments

• crap supposed bms_1024x768.jpg
    crap supposed bms_1024x768.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 3,779
  • virus_1024x768.JPG
    virus_1024x768.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 5,390
Ypedal said:
Looks familiar.. I got those on my 36v 20ah LiMn packs from FalconEV 2 years ago, one was DOA, the other got removed because it kept tripping overcurrent on a 20amp controller.. :evil:

Thanks for sharing your experience Ypedal... does your BMS have cutted trace like mine? (they are supposed to me 50A cont 70A peak.. Does your battery is rated like that?

Doc

BEWARE aka East United Music, aka jimmywuu66, aka peterwong228, aka mp3hk !!!!!

I have been watching-recording all of the posted auctions for lifepo4 batteries over the past two months, and I have recorded hundreds of examples of "shill bidding" and fraud on almost every single auction from this seller. Stay away from this seller, as he uses alternate accounts to increase the prices on his products. i.e. bids from accounts with ZERO purchases, with hundreds of bids.....

Ebay in their infinite wisdom is ignoring this blatant fraud and textbook example of "skill bidding".

Keep telling ebay about it, and if it can be demonstrated that ebay knowingly allowed the violations, then document it. You may have to print pages or save pages because ebay now limits the amount of archival information available. I'm not sure why this is, but it could relate to having to provide records related to power sellers vs. tax owed for revenues. It also does limit the information a cheated seller has available for documentary evidence, so get as much info as you can however you can get it.

See my post: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8631&p=131878#p131878
I thought it best to put a link here and add a little more.
My experience with slime products has been a debacle. Caught out in the rain when a slime tube failed to fix a 1mm puncture slit. The next day caught out in blistering sun at 40C when a slime tube protector caused a catastrophic failure of the tube. Thankfully it was a rear tyre so I didn't end up with a face-plant. The next day the slime released into the inside of the front tyre from another puncture caused the rim tape to slip aside and allow the inside of the tube to puncture on the edge of a spoke hole. This caused a quick loss of air that only blind luck stopped me from another face-plant.
Slime's Smart Tube:
1/ Claims it prevents flat tyres. Rubbish!
2/ Claims it seals instantly. Rubbish!
3/ Claims it is self healing. Rubbish!
In my opinion Slime's marketing people live in Lala land where punctures are only like pin pricks. Those of us who live in the real world of broken glass and nails know better.
Don't waste your money.

The secret to using slime is using more of it. I'm not sure how big a hole they make, but I routinely pull mesquite thorns from my dirt bikes that are up to an inch and a half long. I think these holes are close to 1 mm. A glass cut, or a big nail hole is another story. It definitely won't fix a hole on the side of the tube either. For the many thousands of goathead stickers that get in the tires of both road and dirt bikes it works like a charm. In my opinion the tubes that come filled with slime are poor quality tubes, and not enough green stuff in em. You are correct about nails though, the slime may be able to let you creep home in time, or not. Generally a nail hole is too big for slime to fix on a bike tire. On a truck tire, with a lot thicker rubber to start with, the slime can eventually plug pretty big holes. Not permanently fixing them, but turning a fast leak into a very slow one. The main problem with bike tires is the small ammount of air in em in the first place. I just did 2200 miles on a bike with slimed tires and not one flat, but lots of giant thorns pulled out that would hiss for a few seconds. Again you are not using enough slime in the tire to start with if it won't plug small holes.

Hi dogman,
I reckon that you must have a guardian angel hovering over you when you ride.:D One very lucky dude. From what you say, it sounds like you fill your tubes with slime yourself from a pressure pack can. I bought pre-filled Slime tubes. They may not have enough slime in them, but even so, on a 1mm puncture that occurred I was hearing "phut, phut, phut" for about a kilometre before realising that it was a puncture. There was a lot of slime in the tyre (no longer in the tube) when I eventually removed the tyre. I'd have thought that there was enough to do the job. Slime also say that you shouldn't run at too high a pressure. Well the pressure was getting pretty low by the time I stopped. The inside of the frame was covered with slime, not to mention the green stripe up my back. It maybe that slime is not suited for "Australian" conditions. One thing is for sure, it certainly doesn't work down here.

From the reviews on mtbr.com of slime products, I get the impression it saves one from goat-heads/thorns but not glass and nails. For some reason, it seems glass bits have this special property of being able to defeat nearly anything despite their seeming tininess. I'd imagine New Mexico has quite a few of these goat-heads that probably caused a lot of Dogman's past punctures. Having lived in the desert myself, I know I've been victim to a few thorns before the world of Slime.

I guess aussie millimeters are bigger than ours. The slime product I am familiar with has black chunks of rubber in it that can be as big as 2 mm. The other day, filling a new tube, It would barely go into the tube since it had a narrow valve stem, about 2mm. I tend to run a thick tube, or a tire protector inside too, to deal with goatheads and maybe even glass cuts. It works great on mesquite thorns, that are as thick and long as a finish nail, like a 6 penny nail, or an 18 guage in gun nails and staples. I pull out several that penetrate at least an inch, on virtually every dirt ride in the area I go to 1/2 mile from my house. But on bike tires, the shit may let too much air out before a chunk gets lodged in the hole. With a car or truck tire, you only lose maybe 1 psi, but with a bike you might lose 30 psi. Maybe the stuff I use is aimed at 4x4's and is different. It sure does suck to get it all over you though.

Ladies and Gentlemen

Probably my case is typical. I ordered an electric conversion kit, I paid for it and received Nothing. I learnt that the sellers credibility was questionable. I paid significant amount of money for this knowledge. You may have it for free…

I ordered the KIT02 from CYCLEMAN, http://www.cycleman.cn/index.asp, contact with Mark Rao by e-mail, cycleman2008@gmail.com, sales@cycleman.cn, phone +86 579 87 21 85 50. I paid requested money on Dec 18, 2008 (bank transfer) as instructed by Mark Rao.

I was informed that the kit would be shipped within 15 days. 15 days had passed, 30 days passed. Contact with Mark Rao became more difficult. Answers for my e-mails became rare. During phone conversations I was informed that the battery would come/just arrived or the kit would be shipped/was already sent. I asked for the e-mail confirmation but did not receive anything.

70 days passed since I had paid Cycleman E-vehicle Co for the kit. There were some reasons to delay the delivery – Christmas, Chinese holidays, etc. But it is time to admit the true. Had the kit ever been sent it would have already been delivered.

I am not the only one naive person in the world. I found complains of other persons having the privilege of doing business with Mark Rao: http://resources.alibaba.com/topic/...Rao_Scammer_Fraud_DO_NOT_do_business_with.htm

My advice: do NOT do any business with Cycleman E-vehicle Co and Mark Rao – sales manager of this company.

Bob

I wanted a free wheel hub motor,looked into all sites,found falcon ev that had the motor by bmc that was freewheel and grouped with his controler would regen brake(according to his site and him at the time)so I purchased the motor from him,well after waiting over a month and then some,he calls and says it will not regen like he promised(that was the only resone to use him for purchase,he's kind of rude)(now I do not trust his word)then the motor shows up,hook it up with all his conections and the motor works,but not smothly-go 10miles and motor stops working.I do not trust falcon ev...I did get the motor workin smothly now(new controler and 2 weeks of research on this forum with rewire of motor).I do not trust falcon ev... I had great servise from ebikes.ca,and would use them again.

I'd like to nominate Brett White at ebikes.biz for the forum's "worst e-bike goods vendor of the year" award.

He accepts payments but holds on to the goods that he promised to deliver for months, when he had said it will take a week or two. It has taken over a year in some horror cases for him to deliver, I hope I don't end up like that. He has made building an e-bike a miserable experience for many people including myself.

He runs a real "slack ass" business. And I've found you can never believe him when he says "soon" or "next week" or anything for that matter.

Please refer to this thread for further information http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8272&start=0. Oh and this one http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8033&start=15

Feel free to vote for him or to nominate others for that award. (ebay lifepo4 scammers dont count)

This thread was a great idea!
May I make some suggestions to improve it a little?

I'd like to recommend that all of the to avoid manufacturers be listed in one post on the first page of this thread.

Also, they can be shown with the number of to avoid nominations next to each name.

Perhaps the thread title can also read, "Manufacturers to avoid (Updated April 30, 2009)", with the date reflecting when the list was updated.

GoldenMotor has NEVER delivered USED motors/batteries to customers. The biggest problem/mistake that GoldenMotor has ever done was to order battery packs from a company named HiPower from SHANDONG province. Almost 99% of the batteries sucked, and they will not refund us. We also had motor problems from a supplier somewhere in Suzhou. However, I'm just here to inform you that we have changed 80% of our suppliers, and we do product testing now before we put it on sale. Not trying to push all the blame away, just trying to let people understand why some of the kits you ordered from us SUCKED so hard.

Further information: HiPower, after years of selling F.U.B.A.R. batteries and chargers, has been sued and will be shutting down in matter of weeks. They have not attended 2009 ShangHai bike expo. Motors are now manufactured by our new factory, and strictest quality control has been implemented.

Back