Nyx frame, 273mm*40m V3 hub, and 650A

so sick! Belt drive is so baller. So much more difficult to execute and it's awesome to see!

liveforphysics said:
qnJJw7Wf21rDNcJpblXQxIscvQn1wBUd87gBXRGyOPPIq-bTOP_oP7Efat8MKToYXLUniQ-GsVgou7BLkRex5dBGUajNAmyxK3oweG9UcLSxX1Grjx-8ebMU0BKPr8FBsCLJcDhDjgulR72wfd0a3uSCho4PMVYetFW5rZUTg3HTXqenD3VBT_LRi9dDiKJRpNDJV3MWHtI95M0YsKX-7H0d1ByA9MtyOHMqTVV3Bcuo_vQdpQZ2uxkCjpdMxF0zMXDy57oQf5n09TeKaiRzZ_mChA6Bf1dcnExMB3gO39MUBVlRFk8LO955ummp_MX6abz9FeeaEt4cvLQ3rdm79C0jNUPr1-PjCDfi8XScj8Kcjt9SNIQfQaKV_3S6mtMm0NpdrFh_jB0etBBTSXRHLXBZj6b4l85j4MPD5KrUZxqVrEszMiIeZeQ1CBg-ed_yZHzfcguX8hrB5RolfQMqN6gBtC7zFTkRNdlilA1WE7Czb8E0LRv4euQA-4L8aGCBYJg6HxfT11B35f38uoGTXnq6TUSc3eIft3TPxFh67SdMoo0kOcjO7q3y4z6537YYSc0AE7C_-5fgKS07vZFN7g0o4CmZAQPnSHKi7LdBvXwAqBH12i5G-A=w1012-h759-no

pCrDXqna-zpRBaSLmEju8eCrsiVRTsG0gndjLQ_sUgW9BpzFiu5FohxOzGP2t7o0Y29A15qkNjpAeKsiVaLXqidQHaYiDgM5IkG7TwWIkFogBqK0heK-BcT94iSjiibStkGMdp2TwIG-EN8LtY_-Fmy-5_JE-PMrUyxvyd7e6X7eqlwHcmwMjpGPU_dEpsXfXzPAMMQOmcUf6uzVS0AKCs7wXKEIVnMSZbnvLjjASlfUsqE5--lXzxO6dNABBlWUc18MthAcHj_07HMec-ch4OYkvn5NWRfGbzlxErBgGJb02cDOhcIBcJb1qUjmwpKOYnceT9QrARs75INcionp7SZiZdeHi3X4p7at6Y6BXGneGy66fSmelzGiA0dBmbvpnq4_uOEicwEKxmp3X5Dzn3FAUa7IzS_3A-EEj2CvJX3N8SxbFUpP8IsianGOvNHVu3Sq2xycjsXTch2Wv85svQAa04bnoCawt9bIFKNdcCsQQTqvnuKUhnu5VoV0lA1itgmoRmRZg1tygi-iXouNjkp0jfGenWl6X-AMMXqu-HIakimzi0ULVMxRESTv1Tnoql5JrN5v3fU2_XhkXZuPzydK0swvXZjbO61ruz8rdWjd8csivN9mOA=w698-h930-no

0eYUpGUfXsMR356td-Fz13d04hc1esedWPlua5AG8xzOua5aV2wm74iDooayycgCmos4AV9lX9hYS2ZqM1TxBYBRi5fiB3DjdwJMHSRr0OsJwgpdf6HslI8urTtuzPJQS-sqDlri0pyD2yEBN-4sOHwHzBYz5KXsPV7oel5bKV5oVde8ehZ7t6fssrXtSMkBncX-7tlYvnz1eNI8tq65OAmh-zuhnWfvN3WvYjTVq7AGJkH0gVbiKWc0mZj82_M9on6jzEAbe7E03kIR0jtjRrY4eypwnNDdBUdA9oo59gshyHbadqiG8GZz3OjqK1NywqxGrJ268-nVh3G9SDxfyK90C5KoWxmd7LWA_kkGS26qhvhyPfLN6cIlAMXKZRisgD6AAUg_m32DugH2jcSRS-oT2OjkMFR0ceGg3nPkaslGIZyvx0nFqFNP_zDrG9IhNhOgA1YLnJL5LLhW_XJzll9lsEYdPvmHNj7AIBEnDnmqgvdeM3kcoTJMJp0K-7ibb7ETEPIreQLLcn_RIzo_QS97Rx9w-QviHpj1CEPlNih58IhzkLT75_3GBbDfW3eXzqSbbLHQIFnKUedA_ib3K5loBRLJXKuI3rl4pzBVqwdoCqyWmQePew=w1012-h759-no

WAffWcpPSv17W8ZCw5ze1T_yv1RGhiFyJ443vpOuZBxw_CS_eRrxNQCxEVvyjco6KHyCjgv1z3q8rPeNEwZe7AnIMXfHgPr73wKNme5gNJftY5AFg1pgL_b3gFoK1_yz8iPNUlwizzD8p4_13Ex_mpkSmzla0788-oJvgLBvWHiawi3TyxLbEvsyGG0sL9o1JZZJvSD_Mb9IZQV1OSCWyaUE4-pqXC0458W3ptq2WaCoSgsdc5aIRCTyKHACNwZnyDms7tS67NyIVL5z-1ksdzPika2GfOPw_MxFyj6jvSnY9DIq4LT6-X9lxcrHKXdYLQY_SfexrdMZy49K7t5euwNstAATYI8PGz48azvgxbVFxodrqW3xq2kMzT27m_490tJMKBqP6_8vx2msyUolns0teNGNeTsYCpZdCInuFIUjbm-9IsWhrhyWYX7DvB7SeNEufxYZk5IBF0sO6BjV8KAKg9sifD-f38s_QNAkzLYGxdJ_XJ8l91Tu1f5J09ByoDrCKC3kTXZz0WMyg2neMuoi8mv3pFE0-llSLSuwQZnUOFaAh-yqanNyk8a1F3-EDHre5eESh1FY-NKtj2yQT-FqWZAFHQnuw_ZmgqFUnN5PUB0-INBx8A=w1012-h759-no

A_2ntjPMNJybXarYJPtlulk0msKPRJAv4ZRLKngaU9uvPbebaHUW5tl9AwUA_AENOY5cG2zTXI7ixd_TVlZ3x8AfA-YAjcSGoyX_UI6nUvi-S0SFY-fP3e9YVzVVIcgRlTyLYNnrLphDc4_FV_NXjMu9KrOaMhJCmU_u9Q-hz4tp00JlVohlAR1FhhHMPaati_A2C0I7jGOKFyY_i7R0CCqEwUpd0Jh8hJzGXvMr8h50C7gC11SVdmuuHik4kUbtzgI5_azJ2Q2sJ9sUNvHL556w3UPtPTkkOOwrDjerWCNbW3UfYH9Kmjix1eeq1giXciZao1j-3VcAmZHy9L2kO1VOvx5PVTLVaSNuqHAOnOESBRZKUzN9x58h1kXCN0dY5NuAYLWNzUEKanCK7BQqOhijcKRFMN7gR-e49lEXcVdLalCihrcnweE9ufaEQc5EhapsPehbyWfMcU5dhH2mwQNOaQVIU6SuXuN7WXH_v4ZeYLZMULfoJ2Zs8jiS82nHnHm5yNQatURENkUWS6ry-ZWNqMGBhdEhGyQ4oy348oyHjFG0emYMpOyrlwADhQXJO2ZxfguRJBdQEOk6Ermk9LCoWH82bzsBXQfiPudpFr2HuwHWhWtKiw=w1012-h759-no

0eYUpGUfXsMR356td-Fz13d04hc1esedWPlua5AG8xzOua5aV2wm74iDooayycgCmos4AV9lX9hYS2ZqM1TxBYBRi5fiB3DjdwJMHSRr0OsJwgpdf6HslI8urTtuzPJQS-sqDlri0pyD2yEBN-4sOHwHzBYz5KXsPV7oel5bKV5oVde8ehZ7t6fssrXtSMkBncX-7tlYvnz1eNI8tq65OAmh-zuhnWfvN3WvYjTVq7AGJkH0gVbiKWc0mZj82_M9on6jzEAbe7E03kIR0jtjRrY4eypwnNDdBUdA9oo59gshyHbadqiG8GZz3OjqK1NywqxGrJ268-nVh3G9SDxfyK90C5KoWxmd7LWA_kkGS26qhvhyPfLN6cIlAMXKZRisgD6AAUg_m32DugH2jcSRS-oT2OjkMFR0ceGg3nPkaslGIZyvx0nFqFNP_zDrG9IhNhOgA1YLnJL5LLhW_XJzll9lsEYdPvmHNj7AIBEnDnmqgvdeM3kcoTJMJp0K-7ibb7ETEPIreQLLcn_RIzo_QS97Rx9w-QviHpj1CEPlNih58IhzkLT75_3GBbDfW3eXzqSbbLHQIFnKUedA_ib3K5loBRLJXKuI3rl4pzBVqwdoCqyWmQePew=w1012-h759-no

No rear brake mounted yet, Jamie is still working on that. No battery or motor controller installed yet either, but that's the last things needed to rip!

Sub'd! I see you got a schlumpf speed drive. Is that the 1-2.5 ratio overdrive unit? I figured that would be needed to pedal assist above 75MPH :lol: Seriously, this build is SICK! can't wait to see some video action.

Rear air-shock is replaced with a higher spring rate Ti coil spring shock, so now the front and rear are both using heavier spring rate Ti springs.
The dropper seatpost has been on back order for a few weeks, 27.2mm diameter is kinda a rare size to use on a modern bike.
I've been tossing around the idea of a back pack mounted controller and/or supplemental backpack battery to keep the bike light, but it need some added battery mass to try to balance the COG away from that substantial rear hub or I think it may be an awkward jumper.

hx2oksB_uz_cAcpY58Vk8n9Agqhji82yE4DwrvIu9KBmJT-T-MTbjKTCroc1ms-7UYCCwTBCpbqack0bshWSPwlYABrfW7u0Xo1z1jnhR4VWkKmpaIZfj8OBf_jZjV5KtN-7Kk712Tw166u43s-pmNwLeGiyE3PBnIzsVKjrJgSjoaCnZ6If0ycWc1Kis1CbdPdom2IC15_WTJwijsuV4EkdtKUAd31iYwMpm4Td1IZV2Lfs5i3a-i1h_bjjhiFFZEwLchrBVAxbMhHt3IJ0CRTqIsN5A83R0K18Pq91yOEs7T8EftDho_pSxqrSL4D0OO8bDfubpBqs3H4ATPuBjhxx8FJO2y_r1jYskZhARhd2Ofk-_Mb2UEBv9avVm5sIvKC3B92W7hNgmFw6N8qnGN8oWuT7Uup_iFV5R9bX4qGL9E6KiSZQGawsF6WI02HvQowsHmX-LuS_k6PDrXq5lxkubTSoCLtDnNZ66ZrKKiMgCyJbXu_d2Xko1xoRRc1oVrVhN4eIa0AWhuDStI-ruYcIX4Bl2KGrabIonbUaYFJ2obq2pbOkFen0W_rHIlpL7xwGRRgh3OFQNMP9NPAeg4RfNjbVtbUpzhnc6ZR0Fg_8cOzQrvn18Q=w1552-h873-no

Rix said:
Sub'd! I see you got a schlumpf speed drive. Is that the 1-2.5 ratio overdrive unit?

Yep, it's 2.5:1 Overdrive on the pedals, so it's like having a very high tooth count front sprocket, but the ground clearance of a uselessly small front sprocket.

The belt feels so nice to pedal compared to a chain, so smooth and back-lash free and silent.

The belt feels so nice to pedal compared to a chain, so smooth and back-lash free and silent.

Not to mention you never need to lube the chain again. You got some high dollar components on this machine. As fas as having the controller and a small additional battery in the a backpack, I agree that would take some of the COG away from the wheel, but the weight would be high, even though its spread out. I know you have forgotten more about this hobby than I will ever know, but I think having the battery as forward in the frame as you can get it would yield the best results.

Awsome bike my friend!

Once you will have taste the battery placed in that frame you will appreciate it alot i think. personally i have a ZF2.8 splited in half in one of my NYX and it weight about 43 pounds with wiring and breakers etc and the bike handling feel very nice.

Will you use try a Sevcon Gen 4.5 on it (770A phase?) :twisted: the only insane controller that could fit under the frame or inside are like the $$$ TRITIUM WAVESCULPTOR etc..

WaveSculptor_sm.jpg

Sevcon and other similar style shape controller are just not made to fit common ebike design...

Doc

Doctorbass said:
Awsome bike my friend!

Once you will have taste the battery placed in that frame you will appreciate it alot i think. personally i have a ZF2.8 splited in half in one of my NYX and it weight about 43 pounds with wiring and breakers etc and the bike handling feel very nice.

Will you use try a Sevcon Gen 4.5 on it (770A phase?) :twisted: the only insane controller that could fit under the frame or inside are like the $$$ TRITIUM WAVESCULPTOR etc..

WaveSculptor_sm.jpg

Sevcon and other similar style shape controller are just not made to fit common ebike design...

Doc

Wave scluptor is ancient tech, there are non-sevcon options that fit inside the frame.

liveforphysics said:
Doctorbass said:
Awsome bike my friend!

WaveSculptor_sm.jpg

Doc

Wave scluptor is ancient tech, there are non-sevcon options that fit inside the frame.

Luke witch controller are you thinking about?

My current options are private for now. I'm open to entertain whichever controller option gives me the highest 10sec burst phase current on a 69vdc peak battery that fits inside the frame and offers real torque control. That includes trying out random under-tested prototypes made by ES community as options. I'm in pretty good shape now so walk/pedal of shame events home unpowered are minimal burden if controllers magic-smoke-screen while riding.

The incumbent solution to beat does 650A RMS phase current for 10seconds, or ~225A continously and fits in the frame. If someone proposes me a solution that still fits and does more burst 10sec phase current and similar continously, I will be open to funding/supporting what it takes to make it happen.

Doctorbass said:
the only insane controller that could fit under the frame or inside are like the $$$ TRITIUM WAVESCULPTOR etc..

Doc

Tritium is for induction motors? Will such a controller even work for bldc hub motor? I've seen a solar/bev trike ultra light composite build that they will race, I think they used tritium to power their induction motor. The whole thing was so beyond what we do here at ES they could just as well be a nasa team planning for outer space travel. I tried to ask about power, and when they reluctantly responded back in kva and I asked what that was in KW they looked at me like I was a three year old kid or maybe mentally challenged :oops: I knew it was time to shut up and just keep walking :)

Yea, Lets try to get the Smart People/Innovators to get this done in 1-2 years from now ... Please .

At least two of those items, Solid Electrolyte Core Lipo's , and Less Weight/More Efficient motors. Through Axle would be good . That would be a good starting place.

liveforphysics said:
People a decade in the future with 10x better mosfets/ganfets/sicfets and 10x better solid state batteries and possible room temp superconductor windings and grain-oriented magnetic materials for motor cores will be laughing about the size and weight and hassles of making a 100mph hubmotor ebike in 2017.

The Zilla ? ... http://cafeelectric.com/about.php

I haven's seen Otmar since about a year before he moved from Palo Alto.
Wonder what he is up to these days. Back then I did not even have a E-Bike.
I was still in the wishing I had one stage.

liveforphysics said:
My current options are private for now. I'm open to entertain whichever controller option gives me the highest 10sec burst phase current on a 69vdc peak battery that fits inside the frame and offers real torque control. That includes trying out random under-tested prototypes made by ES community as options. I'm in pretty good shape now so walk/pedal of shame events home unpowered are minimal burden if controllers magic-smoke-screen while riding.

The incumbent solution to beat does 650A RMS phase current for 10seconds, or ~225A continously and fits in the frame. If someone proposes me a solution that still fits and does more burst 10sec phase current and similar continously, I will be open to funding/supporting what it takes to make it happen.

liveforphysics said:

Looking for wild horsies ;) I like it. :)

All the horseys to the rear wheel all the time. :)

I would be happy to work with Shenta or Lebowski or Arlin or Zombiess or anyone else who wants to put a proposal together that makes my bike quicker/faster/lighter etc. I'm more than happy to ride experimental controllers that are pushing the envelope of thermal and control stability, and accept they may fail catastrophically at any second.

Luke,

Please once you will have finished it, give it a try to the guy on the epic death bike V1 that loose his shoes! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: but with safety protection as well ! :lol:

... " and you know the bike is dangerous!....."

My favorite of your YT vid !

[youtube]NCpzXIPXdAQ[/youtube]

Doc

I wouldn't be here without learning so much from all of you folks along the way.

at 650 phase amps burst, i say 2-3 drag runs before you will feel motor saturation with no cooling installed.

will you be doing any cooling mods to the motor?, or you going to break in the winding a bit, then think about adding it later :twisted:

Any hub motor i've tried will usually start to feel power loss around 100-120c.

Very cool build, well done luke, i wish you all the best with achieving your 650phase amp ebike build!

Oh and i forgot to add, is price a concern with the controller your looking for, i think the one doc is recommending is like 4500$ USD

steveo said:
at 650 phase amps burst, i say 2-3 drag runs before you will feel motor saturation with no cooling installed.

will you be doing any cooling mods to the motor?, or you going to break in the winding a bit, then think about adding it later :twisted:

Any hub motor i've tried will usually start to feel power loss around 100-120c.

Very cool build, well done luke, i wish you all the best with achieving your 650phase amp ebike build!

Oh and i forgot to add, is price a concern with the controller your looking for, i think the one doc is recommending is like 4500$ USD

Steveo, the Tritiem controller i shoewd as exemple migt be not the best option. Luke and Arlo and Lebowski know more than me in controller technology dans design.

Doc

I should also add, it's going to have a fast 1/4mile time and a high top speed but if it overheats from those things in a single run, that's fine with me, as I built it for riding single-track, and the power demands will be so much less off road it shouldn't have any thermal concerns. If it does have thermal drama off-road, FF and hubsinks should meaningfully help.

liveforphysics said:
I should also add, it's going to have a fast 1/4mile time and a high top speed but if it overheats from those things in a single run, that's fine with me, as I built it for riding single-track, and the power demands will be so much less off road it shouldn't have any thermal concerns. If it does have thermal drama off-road, FF and hubsinks should meaningfully help.

If you do put ff and dyno it.. minus the fancy side cover designs you used on the cystalite motor i would love to hear your results before and after at the power limits you will run!

Back