Nyx frame, 273mm*40m V3 hub, and 650A

Doctorbass said:
liveforphysics said:
Wheazel said:
So what's left to fix?

More hours in a day and more days in the week. Just got back from Italy and Germany, and heading out to Shanghai and then Taipei in a few days.

Next project suggestion for you Luke! : Building an electric plane faster and more energy efficient than Solar Impulse for your travel !

Doc

I am already building an EV ultra-light plane, but it's setup for STOL not high speed. However, I'm not at all opposed to making a fast solar plane once my work-load tapers down a bit. I've been working pretty crazy hours lately.

Oh! excellent!..

You rock Luke !! :twisted:

Doc

liveforphysics said:
I am already building an EV ultra-light plane, but it's setup for STOL not high speed. However, I'm not at all opposed to making a fast solar plane once my work-load tapers down a bit. I've been working pretty crazy hours lately.

That would be pretty cool.

solar plane sunseeker_solar_main.jpg

John in CR said:
liveforphysics said:
... I'm loving traveling the world and helping remove any obstacles from mass global EV use.

You're the man! The more EV's in use, the cheaper and better batteries will become, and beyond my own selfish reasons wanting that, it will make the world a better place.

Youre the man John! I never would have made this bike or appreciated hubmotors if you hadnt been so kind to let me visit and flog all your amazing powerful high speed hub powered machines you shared with me in CR.

I rode the bike a bit (pedal power), and at full rebound damping settings on that Ti spring downhill shock it felt a bit more pogo'ish than I want to be riding gnarly stuff with at speed. So, its been upgraded to a non-bicycle special Fox shock designed for controlling a large wheel mass. Now we will just find out when the Nyx frame shock mounts tear off before I have rear shock drama controlling the hub mass. I rode it today and everything felt right finally with the new huge Fox shock. Spring rate felt good, damping feels awesome without needing to crank the settings to max anywhere.

Life is so amazing! I'm drolling to ride this thing, but I will be out of country for the next few weeks, but hopefully before the end of April it will be ripping under its own power!

So much ground clearance!! This will be a boulder climbing and log blasting beast! I'm so pleased with the super tight packaging of the schlumpf over-drive feeding the belt solution, haven't got to spend much time with it yet, but it's so smooth and solid feeling, the bike is surprisingly easy to pedal as a pedal bike, lower core loss than I was expecting on this huge hub.

-jUIyZ-neTZdHvNKLAh8mPYMqEwW59ddl8uKKT_oxw4qf3KfRBmcS0dcXnIDSXTYpiP3s8OyKe0vhxfUnPQX83nIaxCFZOXFWogttE1cZ88j5MpxdU8ilhZ6k0r4YfB1kWwoYL3UP9-NDkd3DETXqXenejT3y8MVE_62oAjP9tu1vrZCuxqjfo45GMy-n3u1dzTVCt5tYC7j92mi8zcvlJBJ8IWDhvRx_-ljYCx6d0DGrznL4SaDghAVxz552d1x-_miWuGMHdz4R2pjUdy1e_wX03fNoPsBkYLkxr1iZBdOdBQ1COm6_mIfoS6U0SrlTVOroZ_Ob0CNzLkmbR2mlCwvvlW00yugMn6PvHR1_ucuvINx7i1E34NEsNXDPGXohTcTeF4TF00d1LHCK-JVEIztbCMcfRFDDH02HK6tL-dLyydsoXdg08mjTzsBpvSb56L-UJyWSLjWWwoqk3cl4QOZY6yk-lT3qE3CRTctVS5QkSBZs-iVte3Kq2qLB-fvvGh6vaPX53hdoQJd0BBG4vfuvfQah63vhHht7pq_8Dkq5SkY5aHueZ2zNu4BgCZGkEEH7pmrzJTaLi0PbFMxtcap2SSYHbrQPOyXmnZcgTDOTfLPLw6JCw=w1275-h878-no

o6aRNs2jfT1n-YiOLEcIQE6t8K_52yUFau6KG1EKvEoZeWq-N4MpKqTUSCI7NWQCUHdcWaqLNrUpVyPYXq8o_gJECGIcaUUN0uJ3GJ8G2Sgf-0zY4PJzE1wQjUgWJKYcnQxv1Rl7wSdOhjKIvtvMfQUEfHWAS3chPo8Eexr0K54-76cbGu8Vsr1RjuIhB4d_CsgaujB-RdZ9T5ZAaQQ_tZiBzKRHtevhI7jto4cmdQesKE4UcV8IY8PIp5-xzVAsLio-gwuWQmpKtyr4YU8Y9k38bVZvkYesHv9IcL3riZEftEBOlCAXb48LTF5ExuvEIKMZA3r69zkjXPMM7aq4ISF9VlbNNnrYUl9OikTxz4_Ey_nbZueR0TAXtcFP7M5qdWD54holS150Si5i_U4ukuHhl0_kYoxOT9UWoZ6vcIWTlv2bFEJkPVT4JNHls4QRNNFCO4B8d5Cndk6jUA0SCYFmx1fOPDlQ8ng1kU6z7hcCV70aIiMqYIkazl4tCu4jSuPJrI03t8bZmGo4BTrAo2zuxgjJnReaxrOoHfOKnNIYDeuHDllTNZiCMv-WyozJ0UWQas-x05cVSyg17gGtMjau2YHYeFoSnMpEEFfp2BjD4c1rtShs7A=w1269-h878-no

9-63z6xuTwk_GbbQiV5P5E7p8Awm519Q97lbZq3YZLfBQq9O_TMHmhc8CMgqA6irtxd5wqVYRbk_WN099EH5xzeq4fwip2YJtR_nCNteFOYaKV9jj2bGHlL42JVJTfk9jcUFN0TWybCM-EdOeIEOUiyr0d76v5BxdT-fqNTh0XkF6Q4q9mVmElKe3rCtDb4GA_hVCFlIjoFUCx39dhSl6Rii41NyhgR9SsZPg-tcHhbj7KpmRqC3LoWxrnBuNlb72u1-ih3f7bD9SgeapQrwAkMubZN5HBXKiYgmxuIC5Y9EtC8Qv1Vnm50BC8eNR8E_G_87E6TVXDYQTXrUd45tjLYa6yCsbzZ1NIB2BllIsNYSPLarejIf8gcVl6vwZRtL3eTBIXZ3gAUBlwcOOST8c35Hc0ASrFW4u714vQpwjQHX_mIX2pD6EdOkivi9ph2gEyLyv2utNFM1DNOJdRc_QL-LeCQuSYMZy0QTC-l1uar79L1fa_HiSiMFPpsNczeqHfzY5z_wAqvbLaAB2MNGFowfgQVDule1eVIz3SEDdmws4Fo1mnPtpuaYu0i7FbLhfASVTFpdoM9sejNh3g4rb8th5pAQptVn_uyux7vGh8QgCXXFgJAmiw=w494-h878-no

:twisted: it's great to see the bike progress!!

I plan adding a second mount on the top of the rear suspension on one of my NYX. this never was a problem and no one reported having problem with that but i know we are the kind of human that liek to abuse EV..

Doc

liveforphysics said:
[
You're the man! The more EV's in use, the cheaper and better batteries will become, and beyond my own selfish reasons wanting that, it will make the world a better place.[/

Youre the man John! I never would have made this bike or appreciated hubmotors if you hadnt been so kind to let me visit and flog all your amazing powerful high speed hub powered machines you shared with me in CR.

I rode the bike a bit (pedal power), and at full rebound damping settings on that Ti spring downhill shock it felt a bit more pogo'ish than I want to be riding gnarly stuff with at speed. So, its been upgraded to a non-bicycle special Fox shock designed for controlling a large wheel mass. Now we will just find out when the Nyx frame shock mounts tear off before I have rear shock drama controlling the hub mass. I rode it today and everything felt right finally with the new huge Fox shock. Spring rate felt good, damping feels awesome without needing to crank the settings to max anywhere.

Life is so amazing! I'm drolling to ride this thing, but I will be out of country for the next few weeks, but hopefully before the end of April it will be ripping under its own power!

Slow down your rebound by about 2 clicks more from where your setting is now, that "pogo'sih" feeling should disappear.

I was maxed on its rebound and was still a pogo, thats why I swapped out that Ti spring shock for this 3x sized fox shock. On this 3x oversized fox shock, around the middle on the rebound feels great. Its also amazingly lightweight for its size, it must be very thin wall thickness everywhere.

So is this an actual motorcycle shock or what? I was thinking of doing a motorcycle shock on mine but haven't looked into it much yet. The Swinger I have on mine works good off road but not great.

Tom

liveforphysics said:
I was maxed on its rebound and was still a pogo, thats why I swapped out that Ti spring shock for this 3x sized fox shock. On this 3x oversized fox shock, around the middle on the rebound feels great. Its also amazingly lightweight for its size, it must be very thin wall thickness everywhere.

Ok, I am picking up what you are throwing down. When I built up my FUTR Alpha, I contacted Fox Racing and told them about the application their shock was going on. Fox's valving code "C368" is specifically for a single pivot bike with alot of un-suspended mass with a shock/travel ratio north of 3.4 to 1. Needless to say, its worked perfectly out of the box, didn't have to touch a thing, just in case you are curious.

///Edit/// C368, not C168

Doctorbass said:
:twisted: it's great to see the bike progress!!

I plan adding a second mount on the top of the rear suspension on one of my NYX. this never was a problem and no one reported having problem with that but i know we are the kind of human that liek to abuse EV..

Doc

Thats a great idea for a brace Doc. If I manage to rip this bracket out I will do it right with something like your drawing.

Rix said:
liveforphysics said:

Ok, I am picking up what you are throwing down. When I built up my FUTR Alpha, I contacted Fox Racing and told them about the application their shock was going on. Fox's valving code "C168" is specifically for a single pivot bike with alot of un-suspended mass with a shock/travel ratio north of 3.4 to 1. Needless to say, its worked perfectly out of the box, didn't have to touch a thing, just in case you are curious.

Thats awesome info and thanks for sharing buddy! If this shock didnt just happen to fit perfect and feel perfect already I would order that valve code for my previous shock.

The bike has gone from air shock, to steel coil oil damped to Ti coil oil damped back to steel coil large shock body, and it hasnt even had EV power yet. Evidently at some point I became fussy about suspension, I used to never care much.

litespeed said:
So is this an actual motorcycle shock or what? I was thinking of doing a motorcycle shock on mine but haven't looked into it much yet. The Swinger I have on mine works good off road but not great.

Tom

Yep. Motocross shock ( sized for a smaller/lighter motocross bike).

Evidently at some point I became fussy about suspension, I used to never care much.

Having the right suspension, and set up properly makes all the difference in the world. I imagine when you became fussy, that was learning curve on suspension set up for you. Almost 6 years ago, when I first joined ES, the threads I sub'd to didn't put much of a priority on suspension set up. It was all geared towards lipo powered anything and performance in what ever a builder could do with bicycle frame. Suspension set up was a very distant 2nd thought. Problem was, until I got my Bomber in early 2012, I didn't have a clue on how to negate the un suspended mass issue of the 37 pound wheel motor combo. Anyway through trial and error, I learned that setting rebound around 2-3 clicks slower than my settings on my KTMs improved handling performance the most. The guide line I told others to do for rebound set up was find an area with about 10 sets of 2 foot tall "woops" . Ride the woops at the pace you would normally ride over them. Then slow down the rebound so the shock barely extended before hitting, or as the rider hit the next woop after suspension compression. What we don't want to do is slow down the rear so much that the shock hasn't extended before hitting the face of the next woop. And you will know if thats the case because your ass end will feel like a hardtail bike. I follow my own advise, and even if its not the final settings I come up with, it puts me in the ball park for fine tuning suspension set up. I bring all this up because with your HUGE QS273 :twisted: 8) , if you plan on riding offroad, with that much unsuspended mass, your rear settings are going to be even more critical than someone running the 54xx QS205 or Cromotor which are heavy enough as it is. I look forward to April when you are back and have this thing running. Please make 3rd and 1st person vids so we can experience your mean machine when its up and going.

That's some good advice in getting suspension dialed in. I'm super fortunately to have some excellent riders/tuners who help me.

Suspension being right can often make the difference between wrecking or not wrecking, and after breaking my neck once and back twice and arms and legs and over a dozen ribs etc, it's just nice not to get wrecked from the vehicle having poor behavior VS my own bad judgement riding.

make the difference between wrecking or not wrecking, and after breaking my neck once and back twice and arms and legs and over a dozen ribs etc, it's just nice not to get wrecked from the vehicle having poor behavior VS my own bad judgement riding.

The truth! Damn thats a lot of injuries. I imagine you got some titanium hardware in you.

Along with rocks under my skin in places and ribs that randomly pop-out dislocated if I cough or laugh too hard. lol

I should also add, that I personally think modern Dr's are WAY overly happy to do surgery and cut and drill and screw folks who would be fine to heal up on their own. As an example, when I broke my neck I thought it was just a sore neck and rode a motorcycle into work later that day (with bits of glass mirror in my arm and leg and paper towels drenched in blood wrapped around my road rash. lol). I didn't go to the doctor, until breaking my back over 2 years later and having X-rays and CT scans that showed my C1 vertebra was broken and crooked (because it healed crooked a bit, but it doesn't bother me). I rightly declined surgery there as well and my back healed up fine just laying down for a couple weeks. I actually rode off-road multiple times with a broken C1 vertebra and commuted by GSXR1000 daily. When I break things today I rarely visit the doctor, because ultimately your body has to do the healing anyways and I don't need to pay somebody to give me the same song and dance I've paid to hear a dozen times before. I don't need pain management because I have accepted that I alone control the choice in what factor nervous system sensation has on my choice to ride and enjoy life. I have been told not to ride motorcycles by doctors, but they don't understand it's better to ride while you're able, because this awesome biological machine's singular guarantee is to become worm food or air pollution and then worm food.

Bones are incredibly good at knitting themselves together first with flexible little threads that just keep the ends located relative to each-other, then gradually they calcify those flexible members, so they tolerate gentle-ish relative motion fine while broken and healing. It is sensation-rich when the ends rub together recently after a break, but it's comparatively very mild pain compared to back muscle spasms or kidney stones (back spasm's being worse than kidney stones, but both way worse than broken bone pains).

I just had the rebound fail on my fox dhxRC4 rear shock. It was on the limit of the one year warranty. I went to the U.K fox disbributor and they said i was probably using too much pre-load which i dont really believe. Perhaps the shear weight of the cromotor and a 5kg 3.5" radial trials tyre had taken its toll on the shock. I paid to get it regassed and re-oiled. When it happened the spring came loose and i initally thought i had broken the linkage on the nyx swingarm/frame and had a sinking moment of doom :cry: . If it happens again i will ask fox if they can customise my shock as above. Luckily for me the only main fox disributor and fox recognised builder/servicer for the U.K is just a 15 minute journey from where i live. Next time i will take the nyx with me and see what they suggest.

Awesome you run a trials tire. I used to run them on my KTM's and was in love with the grip. I used a DOT tire for this build for low-maintenance on tires, how long do yours last on an ebike? My KTM's would destroy them in a few hundred miles.

Trails tires, balls and balance enable magic like this video a hero, Toni Bou.
[youtube]hen7WSwqaGg[/youtube]

The trials tyre has a very soft yet strong side wall so i could run ridiculously low air pressure if wanted, ,maybe down to about 6-7psi. To be honest the tyre has not been on the bike for long and maybe coming off soon as the weight penalty is just tipping the scales too much for me on the rear. Though as you say, the grip and confidence it gives is second to none. I believe the tyre would last a very long time as i only ride off road and the knobbles are 12mm deep. I am just about to try out a 19" moto rim and a 70/100 mx tyre on the front of the bike. Again it does double the weight from a 24" mtb rim and 3" mtb tyre from 3 to 6kg, but i think i am just obsessed with wide tyres and deep Knobbles! Again low air pressure is key to using moto tyres for me in mud.

Quite a big size difference between the 24" rim and the 19" motorim

liveforphysics said:
Awesome you run a trials tire. I used to run them on my KTM's and was in love with the grip. I used a DOT tire for this build for low-maintenance on tires, how long do yours last on an ebike? My KTM's would destroy them in a few hundred miles.

Trails tires, balls and balance enable magic like this video a hero, Toni Bou.
[youutube]

We need a thumbs up here like Thumpertalk has. Toni is the man, superhuman in skill.

brumbrum said:
The trials tyre has a very soft yet strong side wall so i could run ridiculously low air pressure if wanted, ,maybe down to about 6-7psi. To be honest the tyre has not been on the bike for long and maybe coming off soon as the weight penalty is just tipping the scales too much for me on the rear. Though as you say, the grip and confidence it gives is second to none. I believe the tyre would last a very long time as i only ride off road and the knobbles are 12mm deep. I am just about to try out a 19" moto rim and a 70/100 mx tyre on the front of the bike. Again it does double the weight from a 24" mtb rim and 3" mtb tyre from 3 to 6kg, but i think i am just obsessed with wide tyres and deep Knobbles! Again low air pressure is key to using moto tyres for me in mud.
[
Quite a big size difference between the 24" rim and the 19" motorim

[umg][/url]

I ran a knobby up front briefly before going to the 2.75-19 SR241 Shinko. Then from the SHinko to the VRM 021 2.75-19 which is a very small 2.75-19 tire at 2.60 inches wide and 24.8 inches tall. The only thing I didn't like about running the knobby up front was the increased rolling resistance and the loss of about 2 miles off my range. But knobbies work and handle great! I ran the Bridgestone M403 70/100x19.

Edit, meant Bridgestone, not Dunlop

The bridgestone m403 and the dunlop equivalents are about the lighest of the mx front tyres from what i know. I went with a local small outfit called gibson tyres. Guy on the phone said the tyre weighed 2.5kg, but when it arrived it weighed over 3kg. I wish people wouldnt do things like that. Though he did offer me discounts on future purchase.

I have the 17 rear and 19 front with Shinko 241's. Grip is better than I have every had on any bike or motorcycle. I believe the small weight penalty is far out weighed (pun intended!!!) by performance, longevity and most importantly grip on a high performance bicycle such as yours and (cough, cough) my 14kw one. I first rode with a 26"/2.5 front tire which was made for a lighter front end but gave the bike an uneven feel. Aesthetically the 17/19 looks way better in my opinion. For me being 6' 4" tall and 205 lbs a 115 lbs bike feels like a paper weight anyway so take my advice as mostly personal preference.

I'll probably end up with the QS273 rim as well with a 18 rear and 21 front next go around. I think this is probably the sweet spot for pretty much everyone whether on road or off road. Especially with the tire choices in those rim sizes.

As for the doctors I have only broken one bone (that I know for sure) but had some areas hurt for a really long time and just ignore them...mind over matter and all that. I've been pretty hard on my self though...was stabbed when I was younger because I brought my karate hands and feet to a knife fight (I didn't get the memo) in my right arm which cut all the tendons to my hand, have had hundreds of stitches, rolled both ankles where then had to be set in casts, herniated my L5 that needed surgery once it started pushing on my sciatic nerve and the back of my right leg went numb, tore 3 of the 4 rotator heads in my right shoulder and just now healing up from 1-20-17 surgery where I tore all 4 (3 complete tears and one "hanging on by a thread") on my left shoulder right before Christmas and I have to say....doctors have saved my butt. If we had been in medieval times I'd be dead or one of this beggars wheeling around on one of this dollys.

The 205 that I have is the bomb...er um was until something better came along. The weight in the rear doesn't really bother my since the bike feels pretty flickable. I ride street and off road but don't jump much anymore.

Great thread!

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_0458.JPG
    IMG_0458.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 3,897
  • IMG_1111.JPG
    IMG_1111.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 3,897
Back