why is my stand stripping the plate that holds apart

ClintBX

1 kW
Hi EPFMs,

So I recently pit on a 2 legged stand on my ebike. I've been looking forward to having a reliable stand. I a lot of food deliveries on bike and it'd a hassle having always lean the bike on a wall or something. My work has gotten a lot easier since I've installed it but it'd not perfect because the plate that I've billed the stand to is flimsy and keeps bending.

Now, its starting to shear the metal away. I know that this is gasping to just break of entirely and I won't be able to have my stand anymore.

The problem is that the plate can't handle the weight and every time I use the stand it bends from the weight. I have to bend it back because the bike becomes unstable and that's making it worse.

I'm stuck four answers to fix this. Does anyone have any idea for this? The stand itself is excellent quality. It's just that plate. Is they're anything I could attach to replace the plate that is sturdier out something?

Clinton

Attachments

• IMG_20170319_175006__1489917219_49.196.153.176.jpg
    IMG_20170319_175006__1489917219_49.196.153.176.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,755
Big washers would help, even better custom made in hardened steel to match the stand's plate shape. Make sure it is only the plate itself and not the welded joint that is bending, for this would mean short term failure anyway.

It looks like it is about to rip off the frame. I would get a piece of steel about 1/8 inch thick and make it wide enough to drill 8 holes and mount with ubolts. If this won't be too wide and hang up on something. Since the weight is pushing up you "might" get away with riveting or bolting/screwing it on but that means holes in the frame. I would ubolt it.

That thin bracket was never intended to mount/carry a big heavy dual stand.

We put one of those a coworkers eBike with similar frame and after a few months riding along, he felt like he hit something big in the road but didn't see anything. Couple minutes later his tire went flat - still scratching his head he walked to work where I noticed the heavy dual stand, like this one, had ripped the thin cheesy mounting plate completely from the frame. Yes, the rear tire had rolled over it causing the flat tire.

Live and learn....

It is time to go visit your local and trusted ... Welder.

It looks like a steel frame , which is good.

You could have a thicker plate welded in place of the current one. but another option is two plates , one on top and one on the bottom. then have a longer bolt from the stand that will go through both top and bottom plate.

You just need to spread the weight out by adding a steel plate under the stock plate (might require a longer bolt, easy to do). I would start with and edger blade, steel, available...and cheap. Cut it shorter with a $20 angle-grinder from harbor freight. New at home depot for $3. I have a used one that is already the right length, free if you pay postage.

9663ca75-1d8c-4419-8afe-5e0217953353_400.jpg

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-accessories/kickstands/bontrager-rear-mount-kickstand/p/12772/

greenfield_stabilizer_06_m.jpg

I've been doing ok since moving the stand to the rear. Depending on how much is loaded in the back though. I'd say anything around 30 lbs. of stuff in the back of the bike will hold. The bike won't stand straight up with this stand though.

spinningmagnets said:
You just need to spread the weight out by adding a steel plate under the stock plate (might require a longer bolt, easy to do). I would start with and edger blade, steel, available...and cheap. Cut it shorter with a $20 angle-grinder from harbor freight. New at home depot for $3. I have a used one that is already the right length, free if you pay postage.

9663ca75-1d8c-4419-8afe-5e0217953353_400.jpg

That solution cannot work.
The failure is from a twisting force on the bottom plate from the stand being forward of the plate. This is causing a downward tear so a reinforcing sister plate under the existing plate will do little if anything. Similarly, washers are unlikely to offer a solution.

As mentioned above, this needs either a thicker plate welded on to reinforce the existing plate, or a second plate bolted on over the top of the chain stays to prevent the existing lower plate from twisting down and away. In that second case, a spacer, length of pipe, or hard wooden block between the plates and the thickness of the stays would be a good plan. You can trim off that funky tab to ease fitment and just use a longer bolt to hold the plate/spacer/plate sandwich together. An alternative to the spacer would be a second reinforcing plate as SM described underneath so the present plate was doing little more than locating the bolt relative to the frame.

Attachments

• stand.png
    stand.png
    147.1 KB · Views: 1,698
Home depot sells metal to a certain thickness, anything larger then there are commonly metal stores in commercial and industrial parks, a quick google helps. Metal Superstore is a chain.

Now I see that it is the bike's plate that is not strong enough. You need 2 plates that are wider, so they can hold on the frame tubes. There are some stands that have that kind of mount already.

IMG_0026.JPG

MadRhino, that would be ideal. I'm taking up SM's on the plates. I think I'll do a below and above mount with plates. If they're wide enough.

It is time to go visit your local and trusted ... Welder.

It looks like a steel frame , which is good.

You could have a thicker plate welded in place of the current one. but another option is two plates , one on top and one on the bottom. then have a longer bolt from the stand that will go through both top and bottom plate.

Yep, I've done this job a few times for people. Welding a plate to match the existing one on top of the chain stays fixes it up real nice.

Hey guys,

Just an update on this.

I've ended up ordering a second stand with that top plate support. Its better but not perfect.

Now, the top plate doesn't want to stay put and slowly swivel out of place with use.

I've tried using pieces of rubber to keep it still. It's an improvement but it still does it.

And now, I can't tighten (or loosen) the bolt anymore because it's stripped out.

Anyway, any ideas how I can get this to stay in place? Short of welding? (Though it might have to come to that)

ClintBX said:
Hey guys,

Just an update on this.

I've ended up ordering a second stand with that top plate support. Its better but not perfect.

Now, the top plate doesn't want to stay put and slowly swivel out of place with use.

I've tried using pieces of rubber to keep it still. It's an improvement but it still does it.

And now, I can't tighten (or loosen) the bolt anymore because it's stripped out.

Anyway, any ideas how I can get this to stay in place? Short of welding? (Though it might have to come to that)

There are definitely ways to affix something without welding, but they all have some type of compromise.

I just found this new tool called the Haywire Klamper. It will use wire to bind nearly any 2 things. I would say holes drilled in the plates would allow you to wrap them to the top and bottom stays. Some spray paint right over it and you won't even notice it.

ClintBX said:
...Now, the top plate doesn't want to stay put and slowly swivel out of place with use....

If your bike has a thin gauge sidestand mounting plate it is important that the extended legs of the twin-stand touch ground as close to directly under the plate as possible. Some twin stands contact the ground a bit forward which creates a twisting torque on the plate. I've had good luck with my <50# bike using the Pletscher which locates the ground/stand fulcrum closer to the plate. Their stand also has shoes that register on the chain stays to prevent the swivel problem.

p4_pic1.jpg

Back