Razor E3KW Brushed

Ianhill said:
I'm tight as a nuns knickers when ts come to given people a go as most just abuse anything thats not their own but this he was my fault.
I had a scary wobble over a small hump back bridge on the brushless on my test run i hit it at full speed and the suspension was set up as soft as it would go and it left the ground like I had E.T in a basket on the front, There was metal bars coming out of the floor either side my heart went for a second after a few lefts and rights it straighten up luckily or I'd of been in serious mangled state.

Pain is just weakness leaving your body. AND...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. IE: Hitting those bars would have made you stronger. LOL

This is for sale now in the UK if anyone wants it fairly cheap but its pick up only get in touch if interested it comes with spare motor, rear wheel, tyres and two rear sprockets 55+44 tooth just needs battery's to go could do with a lick of paint too but there's no rust its mechanically sound front disc break, motor chain and controller upgrade.

Thought I would add an update to inform the masses of my findings, The battery box fits 16s worth of turnigy 10ah 4s graphene cells giving 590wh, The weight difference between brushed and brushless motors is massive I've not weighed them but there's at least a kilo extra in the brushed but it does have a lower kV and by construction it will produce more torque than the inrunner brushless for same given voltage and current and because its kV is lower to its a true chain snapper.
Now comes the but, the brushed is all out at 50v 60amp any more and your pushing your luck where as the brushless can be pushed to 68v 58amp giving more top end rev range and decent torque.
The razor rear wheel runs a freewheel sprocket with a 5-1 gearing if this is changed to 4-1 by putting a 44 tooth t8f on the rear and the brushless motor added with its stock 11 tooth then add the 16s worth of lipo, It could all still be contained in the deck with a compact controller, it would be super light weight and run 40+mph climb what ever you out infront of it and can get some decent off road tyres for the 4inch rims and add disc brakes easily enough.

View attachment 2
View attachment 1

I Stripped down my spare rear wheel cleaned and greased the freewheel, swapped the 6001rs bearings and mounted the 44 tooth t8f sprocket I got, I also drilled out the drum brake and converted it to disc, I'm slowly building myself up to build a mk3 version for 2017 with 160mm discs all round hydraulic calipers and a brushless motor, 16s is what will fit in the battery box so ill make one from scratch to accomadate 20s and keep stock looking as possible for it to be sleeperish but practical.

View attachment 1

Fitted my front disc brake in a different way this time, I used a 25mm rear light clamp for the top mount then I made the bottom one from scratch with a bit of scrap I had lying around to pick up on the wheel nut this way I have not drilled the fork and weakened it.
On my blue razor the wheel was massively off centre the tyre just about cleared the fork, this time I've managed to centre the wheel much better but its still not perfect the disc brake is the problem as seen in the picture. My old razor felt fine to ride and the wheel was close on an inch off centre its only 3mm now so I'm happy with that.

View attachment 1

Had to clean my larger scooter today, had the wheels off and looked at the razor forks and thought damn it's close so I started potching and hour or so later I had the brake brackets aligned with a 140mm stock disc.

So the 6.5 inch rims will fit on the razor it would be amazing off road and fairly light, I've got rid of my e300 brushed but Im starting up another build just for fun I've got a load of parts to make a tiny beast just need to get motivated to do it.

Hey Ianhill,
I have a e300 that I got dirt cheap and I am looking to more or less copy your build in the Razor e3KW brushed post. Your youtube links and pictures aren't working for me which is a bummer because your build accomplishes exactly what I am after, namely a lightweight scooter that can handle 10-15 miles at 30mph ish.

Would you still recommend the 500W motor you used in that build? I also wasn't able to find the controller you mentioned in that post. Is that just a generic pwm controller with the specs listed (50v 60a 15khz pwm controller 12 FETs and 4 caps)?

Sorry for the reply on such an old post. Figured this was the best place for it since this is the build I am taking my inspiration from.

I removed the videos from the channel a while back.

It's funny you should revive this project as I got another razor e300 project on the go, This one is less power but alot more range, I found when you brake the 20mph mark you pay for it heavily in watthours used.

If I was to do a budget build like this one was again I would use a brushless motor from the 48v chinnese scooters only problem is fitting the controller in the battery box there's just no room.

I used the board you mentioned but I would not recommend it the throttle was a pot based one so hall throttle didnt work that meant I had a thumb roller for the throttle and I did have some sketchy times with it and 2 big off's.

If you don't mind a drop in speed then hoverboard wheels make a good cheap build and the generic 36v 350w controllers fit in the razor no problem, could easily have a range of over 20 miles with the space In a razor e300 battery box.

My current build has front and rear hydraulic disc brakes no more rear drum only, the handle bars are more adult like with an ignition in the stem, I swapped the wheels from 4 inch to 6.5 inch with offroad tyres and I've removed the freewheel but kept the 25h chain and geared from 11tooth front and 54 tooth rear or 4.9 - 1 to a 68 tooth rear and 9 toother front or 7.55 -1 its the biggest reduction i can get to fit the frame without the chain line and sprockets interfering with anything, the speed drops from 15mph stock to 10mph but it will wheelie more easily and with the lipo it will be back up to 15mph then.

I've ditched the lead acid and built a lipo battery 8s 24ah that ill use with a 24v 500w controller with an adjustable throttle not on and off like stock and then the stock motor for now, that way I'll have stock speed but alot more torque so it will climb with an adult riding and get good efficency being at high rpm and lower amps doing it.

I may change to a brushless RC motor in time but for now I'm gonna run a brushed set up like In the old wild west.

I forgot loads out ill add so any tips as I remember them any questions I missed fire away.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpgIMG_20180628_201438036.jpg

Back