e-bikes on Colorado Rec Paths?

Planning a vacation to Colorado in July and want to take a couple of electric bikes. Do any or many of the rec paths restrict ebike usage? Looking at the area around Frisco and Silverthorne in particular but open for general suggestions or discussion about ebike use on public paths.

Not sure about those specific places, but it could be complicated. Boulder has a great network of paths. I saw a map once that showed that some of them allowed ebikes and some did not. The ebike-allowed paths seemed to be random and were not connected. You couldn't really get around using them. I doubt many people, including police, know the rules.

If you ride responsibly, I would guess you'd be fine. Ebikes are fairly common. Keep in mind that the rec paths are probably not "bike paths", but rather "multi-use paths". They are full of walkers, joggers, longboarders, baby carriages, homeless people sprawled out, dogs on and off leash, fishermen, geese, prairie dogs, and raccoons. Half the people have headphones and won't hear you coming even if you announce yourself. Some are on the phone waving their arms talking with their hands. Some are high. It's hard enough not to hit them with a regular bike.

Thanks for the reply. Good points on acting responsibly. I understand the multi-use part but hadn't considered all the different (and high) users. I'll make sure to check the signs, use a bell and keep the speeds down to bicycle like.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Hi - you're coming at a great time for eBikes in Colorado. In the Denver area, on the Cherry Creek bike trail (which is an incredible resource for the city), they are having a one year trial/review period for eBikes, so you are free to ride on it. After the one year trial, there is supposed to be a review on whether regulations will be needed etc. or if there is really any action that needs to be taken for regulations.

It's a heavily used trail so be respectful, monitor your speed, and just be generally aware of sharing the space, and all should be well.

Enjoy!!!

No problems here in the Denver metro-

I think technically some counties have the 750w limit, but I've never seen anyone checking on that. But 2nd the above advice, LOTs of people out on those paths, I know they are pretty heavily used in Summit County as well, so just be prepared for that. You can ride a bike on a MUT all the way from Silverthorne to Glenwood...it's beautiful, but that's a long way.

Colorado passes e-bike bill, becomes fourth state with legislation on the books:
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/nort...s-fourth-state-legislation-books#.WOai6me1u1g

Starts:
DENVER, Colo. (BRAIN) — Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper signed HB1511 this week, a bill defining a three-class system for electric-assist bikes depending on their top speed and whether the electric motor assists while pedaling.

The new state law requires manufacturers to label e-bikes so they are easy to identify and gives local government authority to manage e-bikes on bike paths under their jurisdiction.

The bill doesn't affect management of eMTBs on public mountain bike and hiking trails. It's only applicable to the road, bike lanes and bike paths.

"gives local government authority to manage e-bikes on bike paths under their jurisdiction." Possible HUGH MISTAKE. [Sigh]

As long as your ebike doens't

a) look obviously motorized
b) make noise (trap wave controller)
c) go too fast (rider controlled)

Most places A and B don't matter, but make sure to focus on part C and don't upset anyone by making fast passes or riding inconsiderately. Nobody will give a shit.

Awesome guys!!! Much appreciated. I'll be respectful and set a good example. My wife wouldn't let me have it any other way. We will possibly be looking at some land for seasonal vacationing so it may be in my best interest to set a good example for future use.

One possible issue is that I'll be on an electric endure bike (obvious electric) so it may stick out but will be pedaling as much as possible to make sure observers know it is an ebike. We are waiting on the hub kit for my wife's Trek Marlon 5 so it will look more like a bicycle. Maybe I am just over-thinking all of this.

Thanks again for the insight!

Back