Luna cycles makes me angry

biglarry

10 µW
I bought a fancy BBSHD kit from Luna for my plus bike. Spent close to $1600 by the time it was all said and done. Installed the kit and loved it. Two weeks later and the display has failed. I took the switch apart and found the surface mount push button (power button) had broken from its joints. I understand that bad quality gets through every once in a while. No big deal right? I'll just call them up and they will send a replacement right? I call them and my only option is to leave a message. No one calls me back. I submit a trouble ticket via the website and get no response. I call a few more times and leave a few more messages, no response. I call again and press one (option to order parts) low and behold someone answers. Says he can't help me. Says to leave a message with the right department. The one that doesn't call me back.
I'm angry!!!!!!
The big problem is that I'm moving to another country in a few days and I need to get this fixed before I pack this bike into my shipping container.
Luna, so far you suck. Please fix this and I will update this post.
Bunch of jerks

Sounds like you are just blackmailing a vendor to me. 1st post, and you lay into a vendor offering to remove your post if the vendor does exactly what you want.

This is not the forum I joined up for, and I'd like to see this kind of thing banned.

I think a current endless sphere user has created a new account, just to start some shenanigans again. This is some really blatant trolling if I've ever seen it.

hypertoric_amplituhedron said:
I think a current endless sphere user has created a new account, just to start some shenanigans again. This is some really blatant trolling if I've ever seen it.

OR...its just some new guy who cannot get a response from a vendor and is looking for another point of contact ?
... I dont know any more than you do...but i wouldnt jump to either conclusion without some evidence beyond a low post count.

Post pics, or else many will believe you are only here to make a bad reputation to a seller. Then some will believe you, and it will start a whole thread of fight between haters and suckers.

So please make it clear with pictures, that you are a legitimate client who is having problems to get after sale service.

There should be forum rules that state that any first time posters that post either a complaint - or a compliment about a sales vendor HAVE to upload an image of their receipt, else the thread/topic/post is immediately deleted.

I never trust a one post wonder.
You dont got the balls to use your original account, or you are a competitor of Luna.

Biglarry, you are walking into a sh!tstorm. On a public forum, readers demand evidence of your issue or bay for blood. You are new so make sure you contact the seller and afford natural justice before making public complaints.
I'm not judging you or efforts to resolve the issue. Just understand that due to no fault of your own public complaints about vendors are a very sensitive issue. You can see this from previous comments.
GL with sorting it out.

I'm having a hard time adding images with my cell phone. I tried attaching it as a file and it's too big. Does anyone know how I can shrink the file size down of the picture? I'm using an iPhone 6s.

I am not a troll. I am a customer who is flat out furious with not being able to get in contact with Luna. I have sent in a trouble ticket and still no answer. I need to get this fixed before I pack my bike into a shipping container.

There was a mistake in my first post. I was able to talk to the guy under the "press 2" options, witch is something like product information. He was very nice, but some kind of contracted technical help. He could not get me a new part. He did have another guy call me, and that guy was rude and condescending. For instance I live in a rural area so I only have satellite internet (worse than dialup), I told the guy that to submit a trouble ticket that I would have to drive to town where I could get cell signal. He told me that I should "get more internet". I would love to buddy. If there was any other option I'd have it.

Furthermore I am not attempting to blackmail anyone. If you look in the support section of Luna's sight, it lists this forum for technical support. I am simply trying to document my experience. So far it has not been good. As of now they are right up there with the "trash people " from walking dead.

Finally I'd like to mention the hold song that plays when you call Luna's 800#. It's just a guy screaming. It's always the same song, always horrible. What a great way to treat customers bad. It's like answering your front door with a shotgun in your hands.

I think I figured out how to attach an image. This is my build. It's a motobecane plus bike with the BBSHD and a 48v 17amp hr battery.

I apologize if the image doesn't work.

Attachments

• RenderedContent-E62B19CD-AA6D-4236-BA59-E2B57A74093A.JPG
    RenderedContent-E62B19CD-AA6D-4236-BA59-E2B57A74093A.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 1,050
Here is the culprit. Missing surface mount push button. I currently turn the controller on and off by shorting the contacts with my pocket knife.

Attachments

• RenderedContent-CE640433-40B6-499B-A286-91FA0A0C944E.JPG
    RenderedContent-CE640433-40B6-499B-A286-91FA0A0C944E.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,050
Larry, what city are you in?...there may be a Luna customer nearby and once they have upgraded from a stock part, they might have the NOS stock part laying around, which would certainly speed up fixing this issue.

Thank you for your patience and for posting the pictures, that was helpful.

You'll probably have better luck just fixing it yourself. The switches are really cheap. Try ebay or google for the proper size needed.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=smd+momentary+push+button+2+pin&_sacat=0

Have you tried the chat option on the Luna website? I had a similar story to yours in that I spent a ton of money on a BBSHD kit from Luna. However, I had a more expensive part break... the motor controller. I contacted Luna and they very quickly responded, helped me diagnose, and sent me a replacement controller. So I don't know what's going on in your case, but it's certainly not been my experience.

-Jim

Last February, I noticed my 52V charger from Lunacycle had stopped working. I entered a trouble ticket to ask if it was still in warranty. Got the email the same day, saying no, but was offered a discount on a new one. Fair and fast, in my opinion.

May not be what OP wants to hear but Luna does a really great job with email service tickets. I had a BBS02 controller go wonky and thank god I'd registered on the site to checkout - easily found the order # in my history and opened a trouble ticket. Waited patiently and once things got rolling with a little back/forth about what's doing what or not doing - we settled on a suitable course of action and everything resolved nicely. 'Been a fan of their email service folks ever since...

Got an email reply with a coupon code to order a new one, but they told me that they will not make my shipping deadline. That means I'll have to pack it in my check bag and fix it in Japan.
I'll update then

Hillhater said:
hypertoric_amplituhedron said:

OR...its just some new guy who cannot get a response from a vendor and is looking for another point of contact ?
... I dont know any more than you do...but i wouldnt jump to either conclusion without some evidence beyond a low post count.

Well, you certainly called me on that one :lol: . Thankfully, it turns out to be a real, legitimate person. I've just seen this pattern appear all too often on other forums. People create novelty accounts all the time for stuff that sounds like this.

Legit user me thinks. Perhaps somewhat abrasive and stubborn about how Luna is setup to “best” handle order issues and problems?

Those without regular internet connectivity are probably better off buying local or from a vendor more suited to a business model from the previous century…

i'd also suggest fixing that by yourself. especially if you've got a time limit for shipping your stuff.
even if you're unexperienced with soldering you should be able to fix that. get those little switches from ebay or aliexpress, grab a small soldering iron for $10 and solder and repair it.
i know it sucks if those things fail, but in this case it's "just" a bad solder job from the factory. this things happen sometime and can't be avoided.
on the other hand: luna cycles should be able to ship that part to your new destination, so it should be there once the container arrives?!

Where's Lafayette Radio when you need them? (Aging New Yorker here, local electronics chain that went belly-up years ago.)

I have a feeling that BigLarry hasn't got time to wait for an AliExpress or Ebay shipment to arrive, that he will indeed be fixing it in Japan.

Larry, if you are heading to Tokyo: Akihabara district.
A treasure trove for electronics parts.
I spent an afternoon window shopping, and ended up buying a bunch of components just because it was too good an opportunity to pass up :lol:
Lots of current consumer electronics and digital stuff there, but also old analog galore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1lIyVvzhlU

cihm52, you'd love it!

Ykick said:
...Those without regular internet connectivity are probably better off buying local or from a vendor more suited to a business model from the previous century…

Like a telephone ?
It is not obsolete yet. Its use had never been so widespread, and they sell more of them than ever. :wink:

Back