Energica Ego

Energica was offering test rides on their new electric motorcycle. The white one currently goes for about $67,000, the grey around 30,000. Not sure the difference. Since the parts are 3D printed you might be able to get any color combo you want.
Top speed is 150mph - goes about 100 miles on a charge - weighs about 550 lbs
Update: Didn't realize the Rider was Kevin Duke of Motorcycle.com or That were doing runs for their video on the corner I shoot. Check out their video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Xlr...

From Energica's Website
The world's first all-electric superbike bred from the heartland of Italian racing legend.
The Energica EGO.
Designed and built by the same people who have designed and engineered racing performance from Formula One Racing to Le Mans 24h for over 40 years.

Massive Performance, no emissions.

At the heart of this thoroughbred is an electric motor which produces an astounding 195 Nm torque from 0 RPM to redline, an electronically limited 150 Mph (240 km/h) and a 0 -- 100 time of under 3 seconds. All on just pennies' worth of energy.

Top of the line racing components, onboard chargers, and a range of approximately 120 miles of real world riding, with a phase 4 DC charge to 85% in just 30 minutes.

Designed, engineered, and crafted by hand in Modena, Italy.

[youtube]B63LdK6RUuk[/youtube]

===

http://gas2.org/2014/07/29/energica-ego-review-proper-electric-superbike/

What a ridiculous price for such a noisy bike. A near silent bike with similar performance is simple, so forget all the gear reduction that causes all the noise when investing that weight into a larger motor is far better.

I rode it yesterday, and had some long chats with Giampi, the guy who basically built it from the start, along with the eCRP bike. Great stories about Cedric et al. A remarkably sweet, light handling bike, with a crap ton of power. After about a mile it felt like I'd been riding it all my life. Just a wee bit tippy standing still. I hear a few others actually dropped it, and one guy in SF crashed it going about 25mph after grabbing a handful of front brake. Today's the general public riding day.

I'm working on a post with details about the bike and build, and tagging everything with this link:
http://evmc2.wordpress.com/category/crp-energica-ego/

For today I just cut all the videos - a series of interviews with the CEO, Livia Cevolini, and the ride video, but should have the review bit up by tomorrow.

Just posted the ride/review details last night: http://evmc2.wordpress.com/2014/07/29/the-energica-ego-ride-bike-review/

Already in streets of Portugal
https://www.novaenergia.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11249405#p11249324

John in CR said:
What a ridiculous price for such a noisy bike. A near silent bike with similar performance is simple, so forget all the gear reduction that causes all the noise when investing that weight into a larger motor is far better.

+1^^
But is that mechanical ( gearing) noise , or electrical noise ?
Either way, it is not going to endear either riders or pedestrians to Ebikes.

The lighning super bike is $38,888 USD
Energica is roughly $39000USD

one is a Pikes Peak winner....the other is unproven....Energica better be one hell of a bike!

I wish the price was about half of that! I'm ready to buy! Or if Zero would throw some supersport fairings on a bike, up it to 100hp and throw an SRR sticker on the side :D .

Routybouty said:
I wish the price was about half of that! I'm ready to buy! Or if Zero would throw some supersport fairings on a bike, up it to 100hp and throw an SRR sticker on the side :D .

So you want to pay less and get more?.....I like your strategy :D
I'll have what Routybouty is having

Sean9002 said:
Routybouty said:

Who in his right mind would like to pay more and get less? :lol: I'll have what Routybouty is having too.

mistercrash said:
Sean9002 said:
Routybouty said:

Who in his right mind would like to pay more and get less? :lol: I'll have what Routybouty is having too.

Right! It's called time, pay less and get more. You just have to wait, :D !

[youtube]d6XYIvmUcUQ[/youtube]

Five year old thread, but...when I google-searched ES for "Energica" this was number one, so I'll park this here.

I had to dig through dozens of websites to get all of the answers I was looking for. I assembled the links and credits with pictures here:

"Energica Motorcycles from Italy"

I thought it was interesting that they had a hollow shaft in the motor to add some cooling to the in-runner rotor. Dielectric lube-oil also used as the coolant. After the radiator, the controller is cooled first, and then the motor.

https://www.electricbike.com/energica-electric-motorcycles-from-italy/

Ener3.jpg

The 81S / 300V battery is passively air-cooled. It's VERY big at 200-lb and they found that it only got warm, but never hot.

Ener5.jpg

spinningmagnets said:
The 81S / 300V battery is passively air-cooled. It's VERY big at 200-lb and they found that it only got warm, but never hot.

300v battery? On a motorcycle? That's not a typo? Crazy

Sometimes, higher volts means you can achieve your goals with lower amps, and high amps are where most of the heat is generated.

The Ducati V21L uses 800V, also not a typo...

High voltage in motorcycles is becoming common place
Battery in the Alta dirt bike is 350V
Stark Varg dirt bike is 360V
Damon street-bike is 450V
And so on
Takes a lot of little batteries to achieve such voltages.
Imagine what the BMS wiring looks like !

spinningmagnets said:
I had to dig through dozens of websites to get all of the answers I was looking for.

Thanks so much for finding some real technical info on this bike. Have seen lots of ride articles, but no real info....until now.

Air cooling of packs is still a bottleneck for motorcycles fast charging. Better aero helps charging, and discharging.

Alan Smith Energica.jpg

View attachment LA to Reno Story.docx

PaPaSteve said:
High voltage in motorcycles is becoming common place
Battery in the Alta dirt bike is 350V
Stark Varg dirt bike is 360V
Damon street-bike is 450V
And so on
Takes a lot of little batteries to achieve such voltages.
Imagine what the BMS wiring looks like !

Unfortunate that achieving those higher voltages is going to be out of most DIYers ability for awhile. For off-the-shelf components, it's hard to find motor controllers, motors, and BMS's in that high voltage range. And when you do find them, they're crazy expensive.

harrisonpatm said:
Unfortunate that achieving those higher voltages is going to be out of most DIYers ability for awhile. For off-the-shelf components, it's hard to find motor controllers, motors, and BMS's in that high voltage range. And when you do find them, they're crazy expensive.

Boy ... don't I know ...
Working on a 90V system for a motorcycle, which is low voltage in comparison.
Still scratching my head figuring out were to head with the BMS.
Looking like the Orion is the wisest choice.

spinningmagnets said:
I LOVE the Vetter aero set shown above. Well done!

Read his article in the pdf. He kicked butt on everybody else....not only because he used fewer kWh, but also because he arrived at the DC fast charger with a cooler battery, which meant his bike didn't have the charger throttling back to avoid overheating the pack.

Back