Electric Surf Board

My project is for a kayak, maybe It could be used on a surfbord.
Brushless motor fsd 6362 250 kv, esc 6s 100ah , pvc tube, 2 rounded piece of wood, 2 seal, 2 bearings, solas prop,1 of this https://www.leroymerlin.it/catalogo/raccordo-maschio-in-polipropilene--20-mm-1-2%2522-pollici-pn-16-bar-35851571-p (inside i've fixed 2 seal), no planetary gear but direct drive.

First test no load on 3s
[youtube]KVccIXQjKkw[/youtube]

Second test in water on 6s
[youtube]JZ1LfXthUQE[/youtube]

I only have a problem when I rotate the servo tester, the engine makes a sound like a trrrrrrr ...(see the video 0.03 seconds). What could be the problem?? Eddy current (in a pvc tube :?: ) but i have a inox tube for support :?: , it could be the problem :?:

Hi, thanks for the positive feedbacks.
Here is a short summary of the components used in my project:

Motor: Inrunner BL Motor SSS 56104/790KV / 9D
ESC: Swordfish Pro+ 300 A 15s
Planetary Gear: Reisenauer 5:1
Battery: Samsung 18650 30Q 12s18p, 44.4 V, 54 Ah (2.4 kWh), BMS (charging only)
Propeller: Cleaver 3 blade, diameter: 110 mm, pitch: 143 mm, material: steel
Construction: CNC machined aluminium torpedo, shaft, handmade carbon support
Surfboard: Old wind-surfboard F2

Onboard Electronics:
DIY Control board: Teensy 3.2, DC-DC converter, SD card logger, led controller, receiver 2.4 Ghz NRF24L01+, GPS etc.
DIY Power board: Atmega32u4, Nfets as 'kill switch', temperature sensors, hall effect current sensor, voltage measuring, connected to control board.
DIY Handcontroller: Teensy 3.2, hall effect thumb throttle, transmitter 2.4 Ghz NRF24L01+.

Performance:
Max Power: 9.8 kW (205 A @ 46.7 V)
Max Speed: ca. 44 km/h (probably higher as max throttle was never applied for a longer time than 2s)
Max RPM (prop) : 6800 rpm
Planning speed: ca. 20-25 km/h
Power @ planning speed: ca. 3.2 kW

Hi ,

great work really.
The Akkupack is pretty expensive. :(

12s18p=216 Cells x 7€=1512€

I looked a lot of hours for a small powerfull engine and i think this will it be.

I Think this will my engine next year Lipo´s are to expensive for me related to the.
Only problem will be the Watercooling?

DLA 112cc or 1116cc

11.5 HP at 7500 1/min

http://www.lf-technik.de/shop/DLA-112-ccm-Motor-blau-DLA-112-Motor-Kein-Schalldaempfer-26x10::4831.html

Otherwise i found this engine it has 12 HP but i dont know the weight.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Motor-125ccm-157FMI-4-Gang-4-Takt-Dirt-Bike-Pocketbike-Cross-Mini-Enduro-Engine-/331629375752

So my next decision is do i build a Torpedo System (i know someone who has a CNC Company) or a Jetpump build by myself.

Hi guys, does anyone have any experiince / knowlegde of a lehner torque star 2 (7040) and or a MHZ 64mm jet unit?

Cheers

Will

My name is Rolando and I am pleased to see a lot of successful projects on here. I am new to this and I am also building an electric surfboard too. But there is a whole lot more I need to learn to get my board done. I have 3D printed a 2 blade impeller at 70 mm, I am building my jet unit out of fiberglass. The motor I am using along with the 1200 Watt controller is from a Greenworks 40v brushless chainsaw. Don't know the Kv on the motor yet but it is pretty big with a thick copper wind. I wrapped the motor with co 1/4'' copper tubing for the water cooling setup. Will post some pictures soon.

Hello
I have build a jet board with such a configuration.
A LMT 7040 with a MHZ jet with 64mm.
It is not so easy to handle this.
17S3P battery pack, a MGM compro ESC, an Emus BMS,...

For more information please write me a short email.

Cheers Fabian

Just saw this vid of an e-foil board. Interesting. Don't know how they get going on these things, especially after a fall.
[youtube]krj41kXDlYs[/youtube]

U need certain amount of speed to be foiling and when u reach it, u can foil no problem. Till then, its regular surfboard. And while foiling, u need i would say half the power :)

I mean, hard to get up on based upon the size of the board. You don't have enough size (buoyancy) to float on it prone and then stand when up to speed like you would on a longboard. Looks like you would need to hold onto something while standing and then hit the throttle. Radinn had a board with full boots that must have worked a similar way. Maybe the guy just gets up like you would on a shortboard? That board looks to be around 4' or so. I'll try and do a popup on my wakesurf board this summer and see if its possible for me. Keep hoping to find some more info on this foilboard and the one from Don Montague. Likely the two are the same board though.

Hi guys has anyone got an electrical diagram / plan with all the components required to build the propulsion system for an E board?

Cheers

That must be the same people who did the other quick video from Puerto Rico. Exciting times! Foils for some reason are still so expensive. Especially Lift. 2500$ for the foil board and then add the cost of electronics and development. Might not be cheap, but looks sweet.

Hi All

I'm new here but will be embarking on a mission to build an electric foil very shortly. I have ordered a 90cm aluminium mast and once it arrives, i will start with the foils.

Here is a pic of what the motor on the lift efoil looks like: https://www.instagram.com/p/BSPOUrRBGlc/?taken-by=liftfoils

As you can see its a ducted prop. This should be relatively easy to get. The big question I have really is what size motor would work?

@jezza and all - so happy I found this forum. Same here. Been researching electric foils for a while, so hooked on e-everything ever since I built my electric skateboard. I was just looking at the Turnigy AquaStar T20 motors, seems to be plenty powerful with 5000W. Thoughts? Not sure about prop yet. ESC in the bottom close to motor i assume, batteries inside board on top. Guess I will need to drill holes in my foil to run wires to top. Have an old 70cm wide kite race board which I thought about converting, the lift board looks similar. Should we start an efoil DIY thread or is there one somewhere already?

Qmsk8 - I was looking at the following motor https://www.tfl-hobby.de/Motore--Halter--usw-/Brushless/TFL--Motore/TFL-56-mm/5684/BL-Motor-5684-750KV---9D.html. Its a bit mor powerful which means it should run a little cooler than the T20.

Prop - Ducted with a 3 or 4 blade cleaver of about 100mm
Gearing - I'm not too sure if this is needed or not...
ESC - Something that can handle 6s-12s and around 130A (Hobbywing Seaking 130A HV)
Battery - Not too sure what I can get away with here... I'll start by putting 2 or 3 4S in series and see if that provides enough power (I have a bunch from my drones).
Board - I think I might do a DIY wooden board. I want something 6ft or shorter.

The ESC and all electronics will be housed in the board. Its better to have the ESC as close to the power source as possible. It also simplifies the motor section on the foil.

The easiest boards to convert are old windsurf boards. They have a lot of buoyancy and go really cheap on ebay (I might do this, but would prefer a wooden one).
Maybe we should start a new thread as the power requirements will be a little different from an e-surfboard.

Great, let's start a new Electric Foil Board thread. Looking forward to discussing and building this. ... Motor looks interesting. Yes good point, ESC on top, extending motor phase wires is better. I just found this about wire lengths: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?952523-too-long-battery-wires-will-kill-ESC-over-time-precautions-solutions-workarounds

I got an email from lift yesterday saying get ready to pre-order. Some stats: one hour ride time at 15mph, max speed 25mph, 2.5h recharge time, cost - lets not spoil the fun. Cost is what will be interesting. Are we talking 20k like the Radinn board? That is the issue with a foil board in general, most foils are over 1500 for the foil alone. Lift foils are $2500 complete. E-Foils will have an advantage power wise over a surfboard, but will the cost outweigh the benefits. I was hoping to learn to foil board this summer, with the liquid force foil behind the boat and kiting, so don't know how great it feels. May be worth the additional cost.

I don't think the thread needs to be split as there aren't many DIY e-surfboards. AFAIK there are only one or two builds that are on here. Matthias and Recumpence. The problem is no one has really figured out a motor, ESC combo that works, and the prop or jet size to go with it. A few variables to work out still. I thought it would be an easy project, but I've been trying for a few years now, and still haven't gotten far on it. Too hard to test things out without a lake next door. I have to drive 30 minutes to put it on the water and then find out it doesn't work. Then pack things up go back to the garage, try something else to fix the problem and then head back to the lake. That is time consuming!

Basically from this thread, you need a 7.5k watt setup to power up a board to 20mph or so. Prop version needs 1500 rpm with a Torqeedo prop. 2000rpm with a 100mm jet drive. That is all I know. You get a working setup that I can copy and you'll be my hero!

Hi
I have plans to create a eletrical surfboards to my 11 years old son. Will a MHz jet 52 provide enough thrust to a boy? I am planning to use a Castle 2028 engine with 6 cells lipo. Will this work? Should be easier to create a board to a kid than an adult.

Thanks for posting that. I signed up for their email list and didn't get anything.

Biggest problem I have with these electric surfboards and the same with complete ebikes is, the parts pricing doesn't add up to any where close to the complete final price. Usually you buy something cheaper than the individual parts. I can build a good ebike for $1500, but if I want a Haibike or Specialized, prices are $5 to $8 thousand. The lift foil boards are expensive at $2500, but are the electronics worth $10k more for the efoil?

From what I can guess, the size of the motor is likely as small as a 6364. The waterproof remote is cool. Battery is likely just a 48v. Where does that $10k come into play? My eskateboard endeavors stemmed from the same issue. I think Boosted skateboards originally wanted $2500 for a board with $500 worth of parts. Amazing 3 years later that now you can find good eskateboards for $500. It will happen with this also, just a matter of time. One of the reasons I would opt for the Onean is they don't seem to be gouging you on the price. I am underwhelmed by the videos I see of it that weren't produced by Onean. Looks way slower than I'd think was fun. Seems somewhat fair for what you get though. I understand the development costs that have to go into a new product, but come on!

I'll wait to see what Dan Montague has to offer with his efoilboard.

the "problem" with the price is, you need MOULDS for every part you see on that picture. these moulds are CNCd from steel (sometimes Aluminum) and they cost thousands of dollars.
that means, they need to add the mould cost on their product too.
also they have to ship things from China, pay tax and other cost.
so in the end, when they put their margin on the price (their income) you get a >10.000$ product.

I don't think the Lift is too expensive. But most people do think it is.
that's why we will see a price drop pretty soon, when people don't order the lift.
They produced hundreds of them and need to sell.

edit:
" good eskateboards for $500"
the Landwheel is crap. breaks after minutes of use. in the 500$ range they are toys.
it´s more $1000 what you need to invest for a good E-skateboard

the Lift:
and yes, if you take away $2500 for the foilboard, it´s hard to justify 10000$ for motor and battery.

Totally awesome carbon work Virus does there. Hope it will have the power to lift off, looking forward to his next test. I thought about jet inside the fuselage too but decided to go with ducted prop for my first build, ESC and batteries inside board.

Back