Adaptto Mini-E/Max-E Owner's Thread

Hello,

When I was trying to flash the SD card with my usb card reader it wasn't working, (the same problem you describe). when I've tried with my wife's laptop that has build in memory card slot it worked fine.
Also I've read somewhere the SD card should be small in capacity.

I don't know if this helps.

Thanks for the Info.
I also get some Infos from Allex. He said that you have to take an real SD Card and not an Micro SD with an SD Adapter.

Hexa said:
Hello,

When I was trying to flash the SD card with my usb card reader it wasn't working, (the same problem you describe). when I've tried with my wife's laptop that has build in memory card slot it worked fine.

Thanks for the Info.
I also get some Infos from Allex. He said that you have to take an real SD Card and not an Micro SD with an SD Adapter.

If this can help: I discovered that in the MANAGE DISK option of windows you need to detect and give a drive letter to the SD card. :wink:
But once you program it with the adaptto firmware programmer, it loose his drive letter so you have to give the SD card a new drive letter again.

Doc

Hexa said:
Hello,

Thanks for the Info.

With Adapter it should work.
Sometimes it does not work after a format and a letter assignment in Windows environment. In this case I Either format it using a MAC or format it inside a digital camera.

Right guys, everything is working nicely now with the Max-E, I've had a few rides and I'm loving the smooth power delivery and the ability to program the controller on the fly. With the domino throttle and regen thumb throttle it feels like a drastically different machine.

I know I'm a bit late to the party on these controllers as I've been using Chinese controllers up until now!

Anyway now I'm ready to start using the charge coil for charging, I've asked this question before but I didn't really get a definitive answer.

At the moment I bulk charge my 30Ah 20S of 30Q cells via the batteries BMS using a Kingpan 84V 10A charger, this works well but I am lacking any charge control and it would be really nice to see the charge statistics on the Adaptto.
I know I can't really use my Kingpan because the voltage is too high.
I do have a 48V Kingpan charger which is nice and compact and kicks out 5A, could I use this for charging albeit at a much slower rate? It would be ideal for top-up charging.

Any help would be appreciated.

andyjk said:
At the moment I bulk charge my 30Ah 20S of 30Q cells via the batteries BMS using a Kingpan 84V 10A charger, this works well but I am lacking any charge control and it would be really nice to see the charge statistics on the Adaptto.
I know I can't really use my Kingpan because the voltage is too high.
I do have a 48V Kingpan charger which is nice and compact and kicks out 5A, could I use this for charging albeit at a much slower rate? It would be ideal for top-up charging.

Any help would be appreciated.

The charge mode should work with any PSU or charger, as long as the battery voltage is higher as the open circuit (idle) voltage of the PSU. The settings "supply V drop" and "supply current" do the rest. Either that or the other regulates the input power.

However, some chargers don't put out a voltage if there is no battery directly attached (the battery itself triggers a relay which is inside the charger). I have not tried with such, but i believe if there is no voltage at the output from the beginning on, Adaptto can't detect it.

48V charger usually has a no load voltage of about 55V, so regarding this it should work well together with your 20s battery :wink:

Andy, you can check this thread:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=51407
Maybe you can lower the voltage of your charger enough.

But yes, you can use a smaller charger. You just tell the Adaptto its max current capability in the charger setup.

Thanks for that, interesting about the chargers with relays. I think what I'll do is check the voltage output on my Kingpan 48V charger and see if it outputs anything without being connected to the battery.

andyjk said:
Thanks for that, interesting about the chargers with relays. I think what I'll do is check the voltage output on my Kingpan 48V charger and see if it outputs anything without being connected to the battery.

Andy I've tried with similar chargers and they do work BUT you must connect them quickly because when you power them on if they don't detect a battery they go to sleep mode.
So they give voltage only for a while.

IMG_2357.JPG

Well I did it and it works! It's a meager charge current but I'll see if I can modify the other KingPan. I'm loving this controller right now. :D

Attachments

• IMG_2358.JPG
    IMG_2358.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 2,816
That are some cool pics! And nice to see how clean your bike looks. Mine is already full of mud haha :mrgreen:

Covered in mud is how they are supposed to be lol! It's been a very dry couple of months here in the UK. Unbelievable really.

I did clean it this morning :D

andyjk said:
View attachment 1

Well I did it and it works! It's a meager charge current but I'll see if I can modify the other KingPan. I'm loving this controller right now. :D

Great Job! Bravo!

Just a tip: use a longer charging cable from the point the charging coil starts in order to able to rest at the floor and not hunging from the charging port.

icherouveim said:
andyjk said:
View attachment 1

Great Job! Bravo!

Just a tip: use a longer charging cable from the point the charging coil starts in order to able to rest at the floor and not hunging from the charging port.

Yeah that's a good idea, I think I'm going to switch to neutrik connectors also as I've seen on others builds, does anyone know which type is recommended?

yup,
dont take the cheap one with cable lugs on backside.
many are rated up to 50amps.
but when you have the connector inside a frame, and only 2 wires for the charging power, i measured up to 80°c (!)
one way is add huge awg 6 or awg4 wires to it that pushes some heat away from the connector.
easy way is the better quality stuff with 4 wires(fixed with screws on backside)

tested up to 60amps and 2850w of charging power -> 55°c on the hottest point.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqElz-HgG8aHiQGzb5rsCmeaULl2

also to avoid heat, take a charger with maximum or highest possible voltage to bring down the amps.
less stress for the coil, less heat for the coil AND controller AND of course MOTOR...Yes MOTOR because you are charging through one phase wire.

for example charging with the 70amp coil and only 24v PSU (~1700w) your ride after that starts with a 50°c "hot" motor + 44°c "hot" controller.

edit: to funny...checked now that you are the guy i answered allready xD

Thanks Merlin, great information, I PM'd you back about the charger, connectors and wires, looking forward to receiving those.

That video is great, it's satisfying seeing such a nice chunky wire and such a powerful charging system. :D

Can't wait to get rid of those awful XLR connectors.

@Merlin, what sheat did you use to cover your charging cable?

Other question: What does "phase" amps mean? Does it depends on the motor cables or what does it stands for?

Another question...

Is it possible to charge via the Adaptto coil from another boost converter? Basically I have a 12V solar setup with 40Ah of SLA's available to power low power stuff in my trailer. There's a 120W solar panel on the roof.

Would there be any issue boosting the 12V system to 48V with a converter rated at 6A and then plugging that into the Adaptto coil? If this worked it would be a true solar powered solution. Obviously not a fast charge but fine for topping up. My 120W panel brings in about 7 amps at peak sunshine times.

@abahanda there are many shitty half twist throttles on the market right now. As far as I know my one is not one like everyone else is complaining about on the web - Got mine from Vector (what a coincident :lol: ).. Other then that some people recommend the thub throttle from LMX if you are even interested in a thumbthrottle. Also the domino and Magura do produce some good full size electric throttle. But I am only familiar with the half twist throttle from Vector.

-Cheers

DasDouble said:
@abahanda there are many shitty half twist throttles on the market right now. As far as I know my one is not one like everyone else is complaining about on the web - Got mine from Vector (what a coincident :lol: ).. Other then that some people recommend the thub throttle from LMX if you are even interested in a thumbthrottle. Also the domino and Magura do produce some good full size electric throttle. But I am only familiar with the half twist throttle from Vector.

-Cheers
i completley hate twist throttle, a wrist injury doesnt help with that either.
will have to test the half twist first before changing, since you recomended it.

Oh, ah wrist injury is really not good.. Hope you are ok. Well in that case I think a thub throttle from LMX could be the solution. But I don´t know. I can only say if I am happy wih what I use every day or not.. :roll:

Questiontime: What would happen, if I would switch my keys off, while charging my bike via the Max-E? Because Im charging my bike from time to time at the schools motorcycle place and for that I have to left the key on... :roll: And Im always a bit nervous that some 12 year old guy tries to be funny and switchs the key off.. What would happen?

DasDouble said:
Questiontime: What would happen, if I would switch my keys off, while charging my bike via the Max-E? Because Im charging my bike from time to time at the schools motorcycle place and for that I have to left the key on... :roll: And Im always a bit nervous that some 12 year old guy tries to be funny and switchs the key off.. What would happen?

theoretically and from what i read and understood , your controller might continue to charge untill the battery explodes from over charge or stop completely from charging.

looking at the wiring photos from adaptto and understanding that the controller is the main "brain" for everything (including the bms which simply does nothing but divide the battery in cells for the controller) there is no way the charger and coil alone will be able to moniter cell voltages, let alone balance them without the bms and controller working together.

similarly if the controller without bms wasn't set to a certain cutoff limit for the appropriate voltage it will drain the battery until the cutoff , lets say you where using a 10s pack at 42 volts and cut at 33volts then changed to a 84 pack without changing the settings, it will drain till 33 volts which will make the battery useless

best case scenario is that the controller woont turn off since its connected to an external power source.

cant imagine a worst case scenario that wont lead to your suicide lol .

DasDouble said:

It won't overcharge your battery because as we said before the PSU has always less voltage than your battery pack has. So very simple it stops charging the battery.

abahanad said:
hello guys.

any recomindations on a good quality thumb throttle for the adaptto maxe ?
This model works well for me also Crystalyte Europe was selling it. I've bought it 3 times already to have a spare it is smooth and soft.
Electric Bicycle Thumb Throttle without Handle Grips, no battery indicator no on/off switch Wuxing FT-21X finger throttle

http://s.aliexpress.com/mEVjMBni

Wuxing Brand FT-21X simple Thumb Throttle 24V/36V/48V/60V/72V all suitable, no indicator, no grips E-bike finger Gas Handle

Back