Vector bike and frame owners.

miunchy said:
abahanad said:
tomjasz said:
Artur said:
But if you don't - dont touch it :)
Even if the pack exploded in a metal box nothing is going to stop a fire.

Check this interesting video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnNId0mDnBo
Yes the piece around 6 minutes #4 is think, is why I have a 20MM ammo can with watertight gasket removed. I can charge two triangle packs, 20Ah or three Dophin packs at the same time. Lots a smoke...but no breakout fire. Asme sort of video with a steel bodied Vector style frame, smoke poured out of any van holes, but no flames! I don't worry so much about a well built Li Ion pack, but LiPo would have me thinking. Since all my work and bikes are under my house I take the safest route I can sort.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 1.40.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 1.40.30 PM.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 3,518
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 1.39.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 1.39.16 PM.png
    119.8 KB · Views: 3,518
macribs said:
Luckily I have not had any fires. But if the battery does turn into plasma I reckon there will be no saving the frame. Imagine how hot a li ion fire runs. Like 1000 degrees. Most likely that will heat frame, melt controller and wires damage bearings and might even weaken the frame. I think I would rather have side covers that do ventilate rather then a steel box that might explode.

maybe you misssed this BBQ? :p

[youtube]tRUC_05KmkU[/youtube]

I think I have solution. What about steel case inside the frame is you want your battery to be sealed? I'm sure it is easy to build :) I would do that in your situation. But I agree with mcrib it might explode . All the fires you see on YouTube can be explained with some reasons. The video up here was caused due to wrapped bms so no heat exchange if I remember correct. But I get your point for general users who might not familiar with many things it is better to have burned battery then burned bike of home! I think steel box out of steel sheet is the good option in this situation. I think we can try to build one for the size of the inner compartment of the frame and overcharge one lipo pack inside for the test.

I\ve seen it, if it is the one with canned air. Nevertheless I would ditch a frame after a battery fire just to be on the safe side.
Imagine going 60 mph hitting a pot hole and your frame rips in two because fire did weaken frame.

No matter how we wrap our packs if a fire hits the bike and frame would be the least of my worries. I would worry more about house or garage catching on fire. And plastic covers or steel covers would not make a difference.

Merlin said:
maybe you misssed this BBQ? :p

[youtube]tRUC_05KmkU[/youtube]

Perfect, that the steel paneled bike I was referring to. All it needed was a new powdercoat according to the owner.
Artur's aluminum might hold up...

Artur said:
I think I have solution. What about steel case inside the frame is you want your battery to be sealed? I'm sure it is easy to build :) I would do that in your situation. But I agree with mcrib it might explode . All the fires you see on YouTube can be explained with some reasons. The video up here was caused due to wrapped bms so no heat exchange if I remember correct. But I get your point for general users who might not familiar with many things it is better to have burned battery then burned bike of home! I think steel box out of steel sheet is the good option in this situation. I think we can try to build one for the size of the inner compartment of the frame and overcharge one lipo pack inside for the test.

All the tests with venting had no explosions. You side panels with screens and Aluminum might hold up. See the test #4 with an ammo box in the posted 11 minute test video.

macribs said:
I\ve seen it, if it is the one with canned air. Nevertheless I would ditch a frame after a battery fire just to be on the safe side.
Imagine going 60 mph hitting a pot hole and your frame rips in two because fire did weaken frame.

No matter how we wrap our packs if a fire hits the bike and frame would be the least of my worries. I would worry more about house or garage catching on fire. And plastic covers or steel covers would not make a difference.

I imagine if it were steel tube or Aluminum tubes but the steel box....I dunno. Agreed I wouldn't want it in my garage either but there's at least some hope...

I would have ditched that frame directly after a fire like that. You can see the paint is starting to boil on the frame. Just for safety I would say spend another grand on a new frame if shit like that happens. Rarely does anyone rebuild a car or motorcycle after a fire. Vehicle gets scrapped. Pretty sure there is a reason for such actions.

I seldom tell people to behave or ride slow for safety as I know we all got a inner hooligan that needs feeding. But to ride hard one must have trust in the ride.

macribs said:
I would have ditched that frame directly after a fire like that.
up to you :mrgreen:
but you missed the point that there was alot of "hot smoke"....not really a fire

You can see the paint is starting to boil on the frame.
its not paint dude, its car wrap :mrgreen:

Just for safety I would say spend another grand on a new frame if shit like that happens.
no need for it. beside that, SIDEPLATES are aluminium. check temps when AL starts melting. -> no melting means? right. less temperature.
But a new Midi-E + Battery and stuff was 1.400€...so SHE paid her lesson.

Rarely does anyone rebuild a car or motorcycle after a fire. Vehicle gets scrapped. Pretty sure there is a reason for such actions.
Motorcycles this time has mostly AL Frames. And a burning Bike has mostly an open fire.
Here i want to point out again on the "nice feature" of an closed frame. We all know how it looks when a battery catch fire.
Impressive flames right. But what need Fire?.....It needs Air.....ALOT of Air. If the Fire dont get what i needs, it chokes.
There was not enough Air inside the Frame and not enough holes to suck air in to be a "Fire".
tons of Smoke, yes...but thats it.
Half an hour later i wanted to look inside the Frame + cool down everything to "ride home".
immediately after opening the Frame a Fireball comes out and everything inside was burning for a second. I closed it again.(No Air-No fire)
Cut Phase wires from Motor and nursed her bike home.
another Hour later i opened again...this time no fire, but i measured above 350°c Temps inside.
I know most ppl know this smoking dragon video....but maybe "the after" Video was missing ;D

I seldom tell people to behave or ride slow for safety as I know we all got a inner hooligan that needs feeding. But to ride hard one must have trust in the ride.

btw: not even the bearings of the Headset where damaged. Plastic insulation for rear Light, Bottom Bracket Bearing, PAS Disc etc is all Plastic, but wasnt damaged.
Top Side of the KeySwitch was also Ok and it stays in direct contact to the Frame.
If this frame WERE Aluminium i would change it too.....but steel needs probably twice higher temps to be "impressed"

[youtube]L9DE-EZ_Mfk[/youtube]

Merlin said:
If this frame WERE Aluminium i would change it too.....but steel needs probably twice higher temps to be "impressed"
THANKS! Well played!

Artur said:
OK OK.. Guys, this is not Vector frame, so please dont post it here or I will ask to delete it as advertisement (or anty advertisement :lol: lol ) of other brands. I told you already :) Thanks
UM, I don't think this is a thread you OWN.

tomjasz said:
Artur said:
OK OK.. Guys, this is not Vector frame, so please dont post it here or I will ask to delete it as advertisement (or anty advertisement :lol: lol ) of other brands. I told you already :) Thanks
UM, I don't think this is a thread you OWN.
Even though he doesnt own the thread, he started it for people with the vector bike.
I dont think this is related and as a guy who is interested in vector i dont want to read loads of posts explaining something related to personal preference.
If you want a steel box to protect your garage from fires, go for it .
If people dont know how to deal with HV applications , learn more about it before putting yourself and others in danger.

Fire protective designs are relavent. Plastic and aluminum panels are not. Sorry for the drift.

Artur said:

gosh artur...
this is a public forum. if you want to advertise products i think make your own forum.
no one here said buy a qulbix because they have aluminium sideplates.
if you are scary about other brands, convince investors with your product or quality and dont try to block posts... :roll:

i would not answer, but as YOU advertised that a customer can HAVE aluminium or even steel sideplates and your website content sucks,
iam pretty sure every Vector customer who DONT KNOW THIS will be happy to know what could avoid the total loss of his bike BECAUSE OF THAT Videos ...

i think i dont have to remember about the complete burned down vector or? Nope sure....i would be very pissed buying a vector with Plastic plates and found later "information" that i could have
- expansion side plates for more space
- steel or aluminium covers

i saw your expansion side plates and they are great. this is months or maybe a year or more old....but your website does not say anything about TILL NOW.

please try to delete POSTS here...if you are successfull find a mod who will do this, i will leave immediately this forum for ever.....
this is the sphere......your complete business started here. with all guys spending their time here, sharing knowledge, success and paying thousands of dollars to try and find out what works(or not *lol)
without THIS FORUM you would never be more or less successfull with Vector.

so see this as a free advertisement for VECTOR that customers can have/buy D I F F E R E N T Side-Plates.

Merlin said:
Artur said:

gosh artur...
this is a public forum. if you want to advertise products i think make your own forum.
no one here said buy a qulbix because they have aluminium sideplates.
if you are scary about other brands, convince investors with your product or quality and dont try to block posts... :roll:

i would not answer, but as YOU advertised that a customer can HAVE aluminium or even steel sideplates and your website content sucks,
iam pretty sure every Vector customer who DONT KNOW THIS will be happy to know what could avoid the total loss of his bike BECAUSE OF THAT Videos ...

i think i dont have to remember about the complete burned down vector or? Nope sure....i would be very pissed buying a vector with Plastic plates and found later "information" that i could have
- expansion side plates for more space
- steel or aluminium covers

i saw your expansion side plates and they are great. this is months or maybe a year or more old....but your website does not say anything about TILL NOW.

please try to delete POSTS here...if you are successfull find a mod who will do this, i will leave immediately this forum for ever.....
this is the sphere......your complete business started here. with all guys spending their time here, sharing knowledge, success and paying thousands of dollars to try and find out what works(or not *lol)
without THIS FORUM you would never be more or less successfull with Vector.

so see this as a free advertisement for VECTOR that customers can have/buy D I F F E R E N T Side-Plates.

I understood what you want to say about side covers. When I said off topic this was about discussing will or will not aluminium or steel burned through and other thing not connected anyhow to Vector frame owners, this is what thread is about.chill

Artur said:
tomjasz said:
After watching the recent fires and the testing of lipo fires and seeing what happens with a completely steel battery box, I could NEVER buy a bike frame with plastic panels. I just watched a video of a fire and the smoke POURED out of the vents and holes, but the bike survived, as did the surroundings. Plastic panels? No thanks. Someone will no doubt claim they are rare happenings but I'm on the side of survival and keeping my house and garage.

you can order side panels from aluminium ;)

Aluminum? Did i miss something?
the sidecovers are made of dibond and this is a plastic-aluminum compound with allowed temperature range of -50 to +80°C, so it isn't much better as plastic sidecovers..

Well! it is no surprise form me that you are not really familiar with the products you are selling...

but I dont think it is a good idea to build a bike that supposed to burn. None of my bike ever had a problem with this.. If you know what you are doing - nothing worry about.. But if you don't - dont touch it :)

It seem like after you manged to get the "Vector e-bike catching fire" thread to be deleted it didn't happen anymore. Or what?
Oh please! many here know that it is a big lie..

btw: yes merlin, you even can get a whole thread deleted by the mods as you see :lol:

Im getting annoyed of this. Could we please turn of the fire catching bullshit theme? I want to read about experiences and know how of other riders who own a Vector, ´cause this is a "Vector bike and frame owner" - thread. If you want to talk stuff about other things, open a WhatsApp Group or whatever you want. I want to be messaged when something for me personally import gets written here. Dot.

Lets just stop with the fire thing, so what if an electric bike catches fire? The user/manufacturer should prevent this as much as possible but its never 100% fool proof.

Anyway, expecting the vector bike by tomorrow (actually today in like 8 hours or so) and will (hopefully) fully document the bike and what you actually get.

As we all know information about the fully built vector bikes are a bit scarce , i didnt even know that it comes with headlights and the dropper seatpost.
If artur and the vector team could work a bit on thier site and provide more information and what options could be chosen that would be nice (especially since new designs are coming).

When i made the order, i got an email asking me about my color preferance and weight , moto seat or normal seat and vented or non vented plates, it would be nice if i get to choose the material of side plates, extended or not (probably doesnt matter if you get the built bike with vectors battery) and fat version or not.

Did i say that i am really excited ?
I already have some parts i am going to replace (stem/handlebar/pedals and seatpost/saddle) and some proper street tires, ordered the 24x2.5 hookworms for the front and continental contigo 18x3 back for all weather performance and because the vector will be my commuter/car replacement.

I dont think i will ever need more than 3000 watts on my day to day usage, but the extra wattage is sure useful sometimes.

To the extra power: I think for daily usage you wont need 14kW or more then 4kW. Only when you are in a hurry because you are late lol.. But seriously: I would not give up that power as it already safed my ass from getting driven over by somr car which didnt saw me at a intersection... :!:

bike received, this thing turned out HUGE. and i like it!
i thought that it will be smaller than my 29er, not the case.
anyway here is a short story.
after months of searching around and finally accepting the fact that 1500 watts isn't enough and i do not have the time and space to build my own high powered bike, chose to go with the vector.
costumer service is good, all of my emails and questions got replies, wouldn't be sending too much emails if the site had sufficient information.
initial payment was done on the 19th of April, 3 weeks later my bike was ready for shipping and i received it today.

big brown box

nice and secure, no scuffs or scratches

those two 203mm brakes look huge on a 24 tire

charger and coil

aluminum pedals? not going to use them prefer nylon

mud guards but no hardware included

here you can see the front light and dropper seatpost

installed a 800mm handlebar, longer stem, mirror, old school horn and grips.

cons so far through the assembly,
wiring is a bit tight i had to undo some of the cable management , easy to solve.
front light is only held by two tiny screws , fell while building, easy fix.
chain is super tight and pedaling is resestive, hopefully by time the chain loosens up a bit, its not a pedaling bike anyway.

took it for a short 6 mile ride, this thing PULLS.
PAS is a Pain , never had it in any of my bikes and this shows why, it doesnt feel good at all.
take it to normal mode and it just accelerate, nice and powerful just the way i like it, tuned the suspension a bit and got 58 kmh on a short INCLINE , my other bike does 32 kmh WITH pedaling.
sadly the area where i drove today didnt allow the power of boost mode.

in 6 months of riding my other electric bike i only got asked twice if it is an electric bike, today i got 2 "how many cc's?" and 4 "is this a bicycle with an electric motor?" and 3"how could someone ever pedal this fast".

the bike feels like a cruiser in the way it rides and handles, not the perfect "small city" bike but certainly does the job.

dont mind my bad mudguard job :p

madin88 said:
the sidecovers are made of dibond and this is a plastic-aluminum compound with allowed temperature range of -50 to +80°C, so it isn't much better as plastic sidecovers..

Well! it is no surprise form me that you are not really familiar with the products you are selling...

I was talking about aluminium side covers, not about dibond.

madin88 said:
It seem like after you manged to get the "Vector e-bike catching fire" thread to be deleted it didn't happen anymore. Or what?

btw: yes merlin, you even can get a whole thread deleted by the mods as you see :lol:

Please pay attantion to the topic you are talking about. The client agreed that the reason of fire was not known and I was not inspecting his bike after reassembling. The topic was closed by moderator, but I didn't know it was deleted.. I has nothing to do with it.

dont mind my bad mudguard job

please add me to whatsapp I will guide you with mud guards instalation and other things. Sorry for delivery took that long.

p.s. I will send you propper charger next week. The one you received is mine(DIY) power supply. I had dellay so I send you another one.

Artur said:
madin88 said:

I was talking about aluminium side covers, not about dibond.

madin88 said:

Please pay attantion to the topic you are talking about. The client agreed that the reason of fire was not known and I was not inspecting his bike after reassembling. The topic was closed by moderator, but I didn't know it was deleted.. I has nothing to do with it.

dont mind my bad mudguard job

please add me to whatsapp I will guide you with mud guards instalation and other things. Sorry for delivery took that long.

p.s. I will send you propper charger next week. The one you received is mine(DIY) power supply. I had dellay so I send you another one.

Could you PM me your number please?
I charged the battery just now and the charger was hot to touch, even tho it only took 15 minutes for the full charge(from 94%).

Back