turnigy multistar lipo batteries, are they good?

Are turnigy multistar 22.2v 16Ah lipo batteries good for ebike usage? I want to build the next battery for my bike out of them. Currently I have a 48v 15Ah li-ion battery. I would like some expert opinions on theses cells. They will be used on my 48v 1000W bike. Thank you.

Like all RC lithium polymer pouch packs, they are unprotected by a BMS and not subjected to normal consumer product levels of quality control. A significant number of such packs are defective on arrival, and others prove to be unstable and become unusable after a short time. Because of the risk of fires or more benign failures, and because these batteries require intensive inspection and management, they are not well suited to being used by novices.

Once you add the cost of appropriate charging and BMS equipment, and include any value for the time you spend keeping the batteries from burning your house down or puffing up and failing to do what you got them to do, it turns out they're not nearly as good a bargain as they appear to be.

If you must try RC lipo pouch cells for yourself, take some precautions. Give them robust physical protection against dents and abrasion, keep close track of individual cell voltages, never violate the maximum or minimum per cell voltages, and as Dogman Dan always says, never charge them in a place where you wouldn't build a fire.

Boy, that post is as scary as the poster's hat.
The fact is, LiPoly, like all technologies, is getting better all the time and the MultiStars are a good example. For builds were a constant discharge rate is 35 Amps or less, they are the way to go. They trade discharge rate(and volatility) for compactness and lighter weight for the size and, best of all, they it is available in large bricks of 10, 15 and 20 Ah's.
The days of many sm. bricks strung together w/ a "rat's nest" of wires to make packs that need to be "broken" to charged is done.
The O.P. expressed a desire to use a triangle frame bag and this is how my LiPoly fits in such a bag;

View attachment 1

In this case, 4 bricks of M.S., 6S/10Ah configured in 2S/2P for 20 Ah's of 12S (46V nom.) for an on sale price of $50 a brick. So, $250 (w/ shipping) for a stout(low sag) LiPoly pack w/ a 40 plus mile range. What chemistry comes close to that? Answer, none.
Without the controllers inside the bag, a 30 Ah pack could be easily fitted.
The controllers use a LVC of 42 Volts(as most 48 V controllers do), which leaves the cells at 3.65 V, perfect. So no troublesome BMS is needed for discharging. Bulk charging is handled by the $100 high-quality, Mean Well HLG series LED power supply. Here charging a 12S/5Ah pack;

100_0016.JPG

To check and balance the cells(rarely needed), one Battery Medic per/ brick is used, 2 for above and since the main pack has a low brick count, only 4 for it.
No, LiPoly is not for everybody, it requires some extra time and precautions, but it is NOT a bomb waiting to explode.
And the chance of getting a "dud" brick of Turnigy Lipoly is very small. There are lot's of posts of MultiStar usage and one would be hard-pressed to find user who received a bad brick.
Probably the single biggest time consumer is the fact that it has to be charged two times. The first to storage Voltage of 3.80 to 3.90V. And the second time to top charge voltage. But the fact is, my pack is so big, I can go @ 3.90V for most rides and have capacity left over.
Range anxiety? What's that?

How can you Intensivly inspect any cell when dentrites are reaching failure point ? or if your electrolyte is drying up ? Some posts try to make the cells look inferior to newbies when the facts are they are designed for the hobbiest and not all brands are equal of any cell type admiting the added danger to impact or piercing then there's no reason to avoid like the plague just play wise charge and store in a safe area, check the Internal resistances regular and never discharge below 80% capacity, 3.6v or so and only charge to 100% when Intend to use them all store around 3.8v, at the end of the day they are shipped globally and incidents are low if you buy cheap of any type of product you will have a higher danger level than a well polished product be it 18650 or lipo, I've used my main multistar pack for over 2 years with no noticable loss and would recommend them for the price I payed £160 for 16s 16ah or 950wh, 800wh useable energy.

Whew, I almost passed out from not breathing.
I think you get the award for the longest run-on sentence ever!
142 words, TaDa!

They're cheap for a reason, and that's haphazard quality control. Disposable type packaging probably helps keep costs down, too, but it doesn't help you.

i bought 2 6s 12ah in january and already 1 cell gives 9.5ah the others still give the full 12ah

i still use them but only with a cell alarm plugged in to each lipo

I am not a noob when it comes to Lipo care. I have using hobby grade R/C trucks for a long time. I am very familiar with them. It is electric bikes that I am new to.

Ianhill said:
Ultrafire 18650 cells i rest my case.
??? What case is that exactly ?
Ultrafires have a solid reputation for totally false claims and consequent worthless value.
Multistars generally have a pretty solid reputation, for performing as advertised at a sensible price ( remember they are intended for RC flight)

I purchased 3 of these. 1 was puffed, and then 1 cell died after I left it connected to a small load for a week. All other cells were fine. I'm split on buying a replacement, since it was ~$160 for 3 4s, 16Ah shipped. Now it will be ~$100 for a single replacement 4s, 16Ah.

So, good? if you're lucky, yes.

Hillhater said:
Ianhill said:
Ultrafire 18650 cells i rest my case.
??? What case is that exactly ?
Ultrafires have a solid reputation for totally false claims and consequent worthless value.
Multistars generally have a pretty solid reputation, for performing as advertised at a sensible price ( remember they are intended for RC flight)

There's the good the bad and the damn right ugly of any cell type, I used the ultrafire to show that junk can be made in any form factor with differing degree of danger bit when you call your cell ultrafire or trustfire your business clearly has a translation problem or is covering thier insurance risk clear as possible.

Back