Viewing post history: Re: Electric Hydrofoil/E-Foil

This page shows all versions of the post, starting with the most current version.
Viewing post history
This page shows all versions of the post, starting with the most current version.

Current post: Re: Electric Hydrofoil/E-Foil

Postby Jezza » Thu May 25, 2017 7:37 am

I have started my build. The specs/ideas for it are as follows:

Board - Old windsurfer sliced and diced up to a better and more manageable size.

Foil Mast - Slingshot Hoverglide Mast: https://fcwatersports.co.uk/slingshot-h ... -35-4.html
Foil Fuselage - Custom made (wood/fibreglass combo)
Foil Wings - 3 or 4 sheets of 3.2mm ply laminated with epoxy and fibreglass

Battery - I plan on testing 8s -12s to see what i can get away with.
ESC - Swordfish Pro 300A (should give me a fair amount of headroom)
Motor - TFL SSS 56mm (exact spec not decided yet)
Gearbox - The options are either a torqeedo 14:1 or a Reisenauer Super Chief (this will depend on the prop/impeller size and motor)

Motor unit/housing
I still haven't decided exactly which route I am going to take here. The initial unit will be 3D printed in order to keep the costs to a minimum.
Jet-drive: To start I will go this route. I will use a 60mm-64mm impeller. This may make it possible to get away without a gearbox, simplifies the system and makes it cheaper. It will be less efficient, but to start with I don't mind.

Prop with Kort nozzle: Using a gearbox to lower the prop RPM will allow me to use a larger prop and thus make the drive more efficient! However this means that there are more parts to fail and also increases the cost of the build.

Way out approach: I recently saw a video of a 3D printed brushless motor. Therefore it would be possible to design a integrated motor/propeller unit and then custom wind it. This would be a really interesting approach, but I must admit that I may be a bit lazy for this.

My steps for the project will be as follows:
- Design and build the foil.
- Design, build and test the motor unit. I have a k1 kayak and surfboards I can test on to at least ensure it works and provides enough power and speed.
- Hack the windsurfer and attach the foil.
- Attach motor unit and then test to see what happens!
Edited by Jezza on Thu May 25, 2017 7:38 am.
Jezza
100 mW
100 mW

Original post: Re: Electric Hydrofoil/E-Foil

Postby Jezza » Thu May 25, 2017 7:37 am

I have started my build The specs/ideas for it are as follows:

Board - Old windsurfer sliced and diced up to a better and more manageable size.

Foil Mast - Slingshot Hoverglide Mast: https://fcwatersports.co.uk/slingshot-h ... -35-4.html
Foil Fuselage - Custom made (wood/fibreglass combo)
Foil Wings - 3 or 4 sheets of 3.2mm ply laminated with epoxy and fibreglass

Battery - I plan on testing 8s -12s to see what i can get away with.
ESC - Swordfish Pro 300A (should give me a fair amount of headroom)
Motor - TFL SSS 56mm (exact spec not decided yet)
Gearbox - The options are either a torqeedo 14:1 or a Reisenauer Super Chief (this will depend on the prop/impeller size and motor)

Motor unit/housing
I still haven't decided exactly which route I am going to take here. The initial unit will be 3D printed in order to keep the costs to a minimum.
Jet-drive: To start I will go this route. I will use a 60mm-64mm impeller. This may make it possible to get away without a gearbox, simplifies the system and makes it cheaper. It will be less efficient, but to start with I don't mind.

Prop with Kort nozzle: Using a gearbox to lower the prop RPM will allow me to use a larger prop and thus make the drive more efficient! However this means that there are more parts to fail and also increases the cost of the build.

Way out approach: I recently saw a video of a 3D printed brushless motor. Therefore it would be possible to design a integrated motor/propeller unit and then custom wind it. This would be a really interesting approach, but I must admit that I may be a bit lazy for this.

My steps for the project will be as follows:
- Design and build the foil.
- Design, build and test the motor unit. I have a k1 kayak and surfboards I can test on to at least ensure it works and provides enough power and speed.
- Hack the windsurfer and attach the foil.
- Attach motor unit and then test to see what happens!
Jezza
100 mW
100 mW

Return to Electric Watercraft