MXUS coming out with a 5K-Turbo motor, 55mm Magnets

Arde82 said:
Yes, I have already 5k engine use.

Time for 40 questions amigo. Which turn count did you get? What Volts/Phase amps are you running? Which controller and top speed. Got any 3rd person video accelerating? Got any heating and saturation data? How about a full pic of your ride. I see the wheel, but not the whole machine, got to see the whole machine.

Alright, are these motors available yet and has anyone purchased one and/or received it yet?

I would love to see the motor sim for this motor.

I'm getting ready to buy a new motor , so this may be it. Looking for 35-40 mph top speed , high torque on a 26" wheel with a 48 volt/ 45 amp output max output battery/controller. Hoping to get this performance with very little heat buildup inside the stock motor { without having to add ferro fluid, cooling holes, fans, etc...}

rumme said:
I'm getting ready to buy a new motor , so this may be it. Looking for 35-40 mph top speed , high torque on a 26" wheel with a 48 volt/ 45 amp output max output battery/controller. Hoping to get this performance with very little heat buildup inside the stock motor { without having to add ferro fluid, cooling holes, fans, etc...}
The 3K-Turbo will do what you require, and save you $100 and about 3 lbs. though you will probably need a higher-amp controller to get 40 MPH out of it. (with Either motor).

teslanv said:
rumme said:
The 3K-Turbo will do what you require, and save you $100 and about 3 lbs. though you will probably need a higher-amp controller to get 40 MPH out of it. (with Either motor).

How many turn motor is that ? Will it run without getting to hot ?

I'm happy with 30-35 mph with my 48 volt/ 45 amp setup..as long as the torque is impressive in a 26 inch wheel.

I just bought a Bafang geared motor that is rated at 80 NMS torque, and I wasn't impressed.

rumme said:
How many turn motor is that ? Will it run without getting to hot ?

I'm happy with 30-35 mph with my 48 volt/ 45 amp setup..as long as the torque is impressive in a 26 inch wheel.

I just bought a Bafang geared motor that is rated at 80 NMS torque, and I wasn't impressed.

If you want impressive torque AND higher speeds with 48V, you need a Fast Winding (3T) and a bunch of amps to drive it. And it will get warm.

So has anyone got their hand on of these 5K Turbo motors yet? Would love to hear what the wider magnets and larger diameter brings to the table compared to the qs 205. What about weight, finish and wiring?

I just ordered a couple with my next stock order. It's too big for most applications on bicycles I think. But will tale a look and see.

Samd said:
I just ordered a couple with my next stock order. It's too big for most applications on bicycles I think. But will tale a look and see.

Yah Sam, that motor isn't going to fit any bicycles with standard 135m or 142mm spacing, even 148mm spacing will require some "forced spreading" of the swing-arm drop outs to fit. And then, what about spacing for the brake caliper, I am seeing some challenges for even the FUTR Alpha as I have about only 3mm of clearance with the 3K between my caliper and side of the motor.

Luckily for me, my rear dropout measures 165mm 8)

Been waiting for someone to buy it, open it up, snap some pictures, do some measurements, give eeerrrrr a test drive then give us feedback.

Last visited:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:18 pm

I hope he/she is pleased with it, sure be nice to get some pictures, measurements and comments.

I have too many projects on the go right now to justify buying yet another motor.

The QS 205 specs for comparison purposes.. Appears to have a much higher torque rating, if this is an apples to apples spec? The experts can flesh that out I'm sure.

"QS Motor Specification (e.g. 3000W 205 50H V3 Electric Bike Spoke Hub Motor)
1.Motor Type: BLDC Outer Rotor In-Wheel Hub Motor With Hall Sensor
2.Brand: QS Motor,QSMOTOR
3.Motor Design: Double axle with 205mm diameter hub motor, 36 spoke holes, OD 4.2mm
4.Suitable Rim size: 24inch, 26inch E-Bike Wheel, 17inch, 18inch, 19inch moped wheel.
5.Magnet Height: 50mm, 16 pole pairs
6.Stator: Aluminmum Core
7.Rated Power: 3000W (could be 12kW peak),
8.Speed(customizable, depends on wheel size):
48v 21km/h~65km/h
60v 26km/h~80km/h
72v 32km/h~80km/h
9.Max Torque approix 182N.m
10.Thermic Probe: KTY83/122 (as default)
11.Max Efficiency above 86%
12.Brake type: Disc brake, PCD6*44mm
13.Drop-outs: 150mm~154mm
14.Dual Hall Set with water proof connectos
15.10mm² Phase Wire (not include insulation)
16.Waterproof Grade: IP54
17.Color: Black (as default)
Gross Weight 14.5kg (with freewheel)
Package: 34cmX34cmX33cm
PS. Temp Sensor Options: KTY84/130, KTY83/122, 10K@25C NTC(model MF58-103F3950).
QS Motor could work 120 ℃ in half an hour without damage."

GmagNeato said:
The QS 205 specs for comparison purposes.. Appears to have a much higher torque rating, if this is an apples to apples spec? The experts can flesh that out I'm sure.

"QS Motor Specification (e.g. 3000W 205 50H V3 Electric Bike Spoke Hub Motor)
1.Motor Type: BLDC Outer Rotor In-Wheel Hub Motor With Hall Sensor
2.Brand: QS Motor,QSMOTOR
3.Motor Design: Double axle with 205mm diameter hub motor, 36 spoke holes, OD 4.2mm
4.Suitable Rim size: 24inch, 26inch E-Bike Wheel, 17inch, 18inch, 19inch moped wheel.
5.Magnet Height: 50mm, 16 pole pairs
6.Stator: Aluminmum Core
7.Rated Power: 3000W (could be 12kW peak),
8.Speed(customizable, depends on wheel size):
48v 21km/h~65km/h
60v 26km/h~80km/h
72v 32km/h~80km/h
9.Max Torque approix 182N.m
10.Thermic Probe: KTY83/122 (as default)
11.Max Efficiency above 86%
12.Brake type: Disc brake, PCD6*44mm
13.Drop-outs: 150mm~154mm
14.Dual Hall Set with water proof connectos
15.10mm² Phase Wire (not include insulation)
16.Waterproof Grade: IP54
17.Color: Black (as default)
Gross Weight 14.5kg (with freewheel)
Package: 34cmX34cmX33cm
PS. Temp Sensor Options: KTY84/130, KTY83/122, 10K@25C NTC(model MF58-103F3950).
QS Motor could work 120 ℃ in half an hour without damage."

Good points, is the data you posted about he QS205 with a 3T or 4T wind? Also, whats the KV rating? The KV rating on the MXUS 5k 3T is north of 13KV.

Rix, it's from the QS thread here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=65972

The torque rating on their spec sheet ( https://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=178390 ) is actually listed as 172.9N.m for the 5T I believe.

I'm not sure if or how much the turn count affects the torque rating. But the KV for 3T 205 50H is 15.42.

GmagNeato said:
Rix, it's from the QS thread here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=65972

The torque rating on their spec sheet ( https://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=178390 ) is actually listed as 172.9N.m for the 5T I believe.

I'm not sure if or how much the turn count affects the torque rating. But the KV for 3T 205 50H is 15.42.

Given the amps and volts input are the same, a higher turn stater like the 5T will usually produce more torque at the cost of less top speed over a lower turn count give the motors are close in sizer and weight as well as stater and magnet widths. There are those that believe there is no such thing as a ""High Torque" or "High Speed" motor because volts and phase amps can be manipulated to make a motor with a 6T stater perform like the same motor with a 3T stater. Take the 4503 on Ebikes.ca and put 50volts and 100 amps into it, and compare it to the 4506 with 100 volts and 50 amps. With the same size tire, very very similar performance numbers. The thrust on the 4506 will be 30% higher or so due to higher volts being more efficient, but top speed will be within a few mph of each other. Add more amps to the 4503, and thrust can be equal with the 5406. The most accurate comparison would be between the QS205 3T and the MXUS 5K 3T. Comparing the QS205 5T with the MXUS 5K 3T wouldn't be as accurate in terms of evaluating performance and motor design.

Plus there is the shorter + larger wires for low turn count which can handle a ton more torque and results in lower resistance.

Then the longer + thinner wires of higher turn count which can only handle much less torque.

TeslaNV posted states on that with the MXUS 3KW motor, it was quite suprising the different in amps.

The statement of more torque at lower cost rings true to my ears, I just dont fully understand it yet. I am in the group that goes lower turn count is better.

It all depends on what you already have.
Do you already have a controller, rim, battery?
What speed do you want to go most of the time, then you pick the KV for the most efficiency. I am still trying to understand that aspect as well.

As I tend not to be a speed demon, I like my 35-45kph, but I like to climb hills so a smaller diameter wheel is king. Plus it helps with cooling.

This whole thing has been debated over in the thread titled Myth

I am in the group that goes lower turn count is better.

A well built motor low turn count motor with slightly larger phase wires is neat because more current can be flowed to the motor for thrust, and has a nice top speed figures on relatively lowerish volts. On my Bomber, I ran the 5403, 5404, 5405, and now the TC4080. The TC4080 is almost identical in performance to the MXUS 4T 4504. My findings are, these direct driver hub motors I have ran with 40mm staters and wider, with flange diameters of 231-244mm have the widest range of flexibility in terms of controller and voltage/amp combos with a 4T wind. Running the TC4080, 5404 and MXUS 4T on any cell configuration from 14S to 22S with 25" wheels or smaller will give you 32MPH - 48MPH with great acceleration. Obviously the higher voltages will perform better. So to the point, the MXUS 5K turbo with the 3T stator and 55mm wide stator magnets will no doubt out perform the motors I have listed above. I am toying with the idea of running this motor on 14S with a 17"MC rim with my Max E which is capable of putting out 140DC-350 Phase amps. With the 13+ KV rating this motor has, it should see 50MPH with OVS set on 2 with a 14S battery and lots of amps.

Back