Custom Moped build - Powertrain Debate!

nshm

100 µW
Hey folks, I’ve been out of the scene for a bit and I’m trying to decide the best motor/voltage for a new build. I’d rather err on the lighter side vs. heavy power side, or at least keep it somewhat efficient. I do see some hills on occasion out here in Portland. Thanks in advance for your opinion!

Goals:
Custom built Top-Tank Moped (Think Puch Magnum) - no trails, all street/commute
17” Moped/Motorcycle wheel with street tires
Target Weight <125lbs (Really would love to be <100)
Top Speed about 45MPH Flat with enough torque to get there fast
Target Range 30 miles conservative, less when having fun.

Parts I already have:
Adappto Mini-E, LYEN INFINION 18, LYEN INFINION 12, LYEN INFINION 6, GRIN 35A CONTROLLER
M3540 Crystalyte, MXUS 4T

My gut feeling is that the 3T MXUS would be a better choice for this wheel size, similarly the M3540 winding might not be ideal, but if I crank the voltage it might get there. A Crown or QS product might be a more ideal stator width for lower voltage? I’m tempted to try the dual MAC motor geared set-up if they can be laced to 17” Moto Wheels…

You might try playing with various setups in the http://ebikes.ca/simulator and see what combination of things performs most like the way you want.

I can say that the MXUS needs some amps to wake it up; I'm using one in a 20" (16" moped tire) wheel on the left side of SB Cruiser, with a 14s EIG NMC pack but only a 30-ish amp controller, and while it will get me going by itself, and it will even haul me up a small non-steep hill by itself, it takes quite a while of max power to get me to 20MPH cruising speed, and I only get to about 10MPH before topping the hill, maybe 1/8 mile from the bottom of it.

When I add in the X5304 in the right side wheel (basically same controller running it), I get there right quick, but by itself it's about the same as the MXUS.

If I had say, an 80A or maybe 120A+ controller on each motor (or even just the MXUS), I'm sure it'd be a whole different ride. ;)

Any other help to be had out there? Is this a better post for elmoto?

Back