19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

LightningRods and I are trying to sort out spokes for his new hub, laced into a Holmes 19" moto wheel. I'm hoping the experts in this thread can help sort out the measurements Buchanan's needs. Mike, can you post up the required measurements of the hub?

Mammalian04 said:
LightningRods and I are trying to sort out spokes for his new hub, laced into a Holmes 19" moto wheel. I'm hoping the experts in this thread can help sort out the measurements Buchanan's needs. Mike, can you post up the required measurements of the hub?

What gauge are you planning to order from Buchanan? I'm planning on going with 10 gauge. I used 9/10 gauge for two wheel builds and haven't broke a single spoke or had a nipple failure.

Buchanan spokes are just built so strong, I believe the USA steel they use on them hold up much better than Chinese steel, so I think 10 gauge straight will work.

If you are using a mid-drive, then you certainly don't need 9/10 gauge. I believe a hub motor really stresses those spokes a lot more. However, 9/10 gauge are probably just a few grams heavier and you get the beefed up elbows where mostly all the spokes break.

I just installed michelin gazelle 2.75-17's on my QS205 V3 in a 17" moped rim. I haven't taken it out for a ride yet, but on the test stand, at any reasonable speed the wheel shakes A LOT. The rim appears to be true, but I can see wobble in the tire as it spins around.

I deflated the tire, ran soapy water around the bead then reinflated to 50PSI to set the bead. It's a bit better but still wobbles on the test stand. Any tips for balancing a tire? This is the first time I've mounted anything other than a bicycle tire, anything I could have done wrong to cause this?

Any solution other than getting some wheel weights?

-jim

kingjamez said:
I just installed michelin gazelle 2.75-17's on my QS205 V3 in a 17" moped rim. I haven't taken it out for a ride yet, but on the test stand, at any reasonable speed the wheel shakes A LOT. The rim appears to be true, but I can see wobble in the tire as it spins around.

I deflated the tire, ran soapy water around the bead then reinflated to 50PSI to set the bead. It's a bit better but still wobbles on the test stand. Any tips for balancing a tire? This is the first time I've mounted anything other than a bicycle tire, anything I could have done wrong to cause this?

Any solution other than getting some wheel weights?

-jim

Can static balance it because of Eddy resistance. if you put 2oz of slime in the tire, it will self balance through inertia. I know, its a shitty solution.

Offroader said:
Mammalian04 said:

What gauge are you planning to order from Buchanan? I'm planning on going with 10 gauge. I used 9/10 gauge for two wheel builds and haven't broke a single spoke or had a nipple failure.

Buchanan spokes are just built so strong, I believe the USA steel they use on them hold up much better than Chinese steel, so I think 10 gauge straight will work.

If you are using a mid-drive, then you certainly don't need 9/10 gauge. I believe a hub motor really stresses those spokes a lot more. However, 9/10 gauge are probably just a few grams heavier and you get the beefed up elbows where mostly all the spokes break.

If I recall, you are running a MXUS 3K, how long are your spokes for the 17x1.6 rim?

Rix said:
If I recall, you are running a MXUS 3K, how long are your spokes for the 17x1.6 rim?

it should be 106-107mm for the 17" MMP rims.
for the 19"mmp it is 128mm

those length also fit the QS 205.

madin88 said:
Rix said:

it should be 106-107mm for the 17" MMP rims.
for the 19"mmp it is 128mm

those length also fit the QS 205.

Thanks Maddin, I normally use the Ebikes.ca spoke calculator, and it has always been correct, but its been updated and there are more values to input than before. I just need to familiarize myself with it.

Hiya

I am trying I'm to find the answer to what rim size is most suit for a stealth bomber

I have just ordered Yamaha Play Bike Front Rim 1.40x19 Silver

Would this be a good choice for the rear wheel conversion or,should,I have gone for the 18"

I am getting more and more confused

Many thanks
Gary

Hi im running 1.4 19" moto rim works great with 2.75 x19 trail tyre best thing i ever done
A 19 is the closest match to the mtb 24" wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_3956.JPG
    IMG_3956.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 4,357
Jimboyr6 said:
Hi im running 1.4 19" moto rim works great with 2.75 x19 trail tyre best thing i ever done

Looks great!

Where did you buy your tire and tubes? Trying to source some over here...

liamcaff said:
Jimboyr6 said:

Looks great!

Where did you buy your tire and tubes? Trying to source some over here...

Got a michelin 70/100/19 tube,and the 275x19 trail tyre of ebay or u can get 3.00x19 tyre.

I found my Crystalyte rim from Justin @ ebikes the rim is bent from a curb and one spoke hole is cracked.
Now that I gained even more weight, I am going to be needing moto rims now more then ever.
But I still wonder with going this route, why bother with alum moto rims, just stick to steel moto rims.

markz said:
I found my Crystalyte rim from Justin @ ebikes the rim is bent from a curb and one spoke hole is cracked.
Now that I gained even more weight, I am going to be needing moto rims now more then ever.
But I still wonder with going this route, why bother with alum moto rims, just stick to steel moto rims.

Steel is soooo heavy. Stick with aluminum. You will thank me later. Will have that quote for you tomorrow.

Heck, even aluminum moto rims are offensively heavy. The ones I've built seem like they weigh as much as an entire MTB wheel with the tire and cassette already on it. Then the moto tube weighs as much as a big thick bicycle tire, and the tire weighs more than the rest of it combined.

Pound for pound, bicycle wheels are way stronger than moto wheels. Moto crap is only twice as strong because it's ten times as heavy.

Chalo said:
Heck, even aluminum moto rims are offensively heavy. The ones I've built seem like they weigh as much as an entire MTB wheel with the tire and cassette already on it. Then the moto tube weighs as much as a big thick bicycle tire, and the tire weighs more than the rest of it combined.

Pound for pound, bicycle wheels are way stronger than moto wheels. Moto crap is only twice as strong because it's ten times as heavy.

Hey Chalo, awesome analogy. part the reason why bicycle rims are so tough and for how light they are is a the design. Dual wall rims creates a trellis like structure which is way stronger than the single wall MC design. If the MC rim would incorporate and dual wall structure, with how think the aluminum is, it would be strong enough to use as a car wheel. That said, I have contacted a company in Thailand about making some really light 1.20x17 and 1.20x19 rims. These rims, by MC standards will be light, probaly 125g, around 1/4 to 1/3 pound lighter than the current 1.4 X 19 and 1.4 X 17 rims available. However, any tire wider than 2.75 or 70mm will not like this narrow of a rim because the tire will bulge and roll when inflated. I guess my point is, the weight gap between bicycle rim and MC rim for our ebike applications is getting closer.

Rix said:
Chalo said:

Hey Chalo, awesome analogy. part the reason why bicycle rims are so tough and for how light they are is a the design. Dual wall rims creates a trellis like structure which is way stronger than the single wall MC design. If the MC rim would incorporate and dual wall structure, with how think the aluminum is, it would be strong enough to use as a car wheel. That said, I have contacted a company in Thailand about making some really light 1.20x17 and 1.20x19 rims. These rims, by MC standards will be light, probaly 125g, around 1/4 to 1/3 pound lighter than the current 1.4 X 19 and 1.4 X 17 rims available. However, any tire wider than 2.75 or 70mm will not like this narrow of a rim because the tire will bulge and roll when inflated. I guess my point is, the weight gap between bicycle rim and MC rim for our ebike applications is getting closer.

Hey Rix that's great news! Can you ask that company to build rims with angled spoke holes like Holmes hobby had for sale some time ago?

If choosing moto wheels consider running it tubeless. Shave offs at least some weight. And makes for easier road side repair if a flat.

bigbore said:
Rix said:
Chalo said:

Hey Rix that's great news! Can you ask that company to build rims with angled spoke holes like Holmes hobby had for sale some time ago?

Thats the next step. Hopefully by this time next year, I will have a spoke cutter and offer custom length spokes and rims for our ebike community.

It's high time that moto wheels, or at least wheels that are needlessly strong for bicycle use, begin to grasp some of the low hanging fruit of bicycles' weight conscious design. So this is indeed great news if such products make it to market.

I think it would be pretty cool if some intrepid tire manufacturer made DOT rated tires for 22" wheels, which is to say MTB and fatbike size. Something like an 80/80-22 tire would be pretty awesome on a rim like the Weinmann DHL65/Origin8 DAT-PRO 65.

1000_4e2d47f7-a0dc-4d24-b108-da6fc30aaa60_1024x1024.jpg

Chalo said:
It's high time that moto wheels, or at least wheels that are needlessly strong for bicycle use, begin to grasp some of the low hanging fruit of bicycles' weight conscious design. So this is indeed great news if such products make it to market.

I think it would be pretty cool if some intrepid tire manufacturer made DOT rated tires for 22" wheels, which is to say MTB and fatbike size. Something like an 80/80-22 tire would be pretty awesome on a rim like the Weinmann DHL65/Origin8 DAT-PRO 65.

1000_4e2d47f7-a0dc-4d24-b108-da6fc30aaa60_1024x1024.jpg

Indeed it would be neat. And would weigh significantly less than running a 1.60x21 MC rim with a 3.00-21 SR241.

Jimboyr6 said:

That did come out nice Jimboy, what PSI are you running? I have found that anything north of 20 PSI is a rough ride, and anything less than 16PSI, I run the risk of the wheel and tube slipping after a creek crossing on the rim because I don't use any rim locks.

Cheers
Yes u are right, i run 15 psi and that seems to work as lower just feels shit,and higher is to harsh.

Chalo i'm with you, but when lacing >10kg hubmotors into bicylce rims with bicycle spokes there is a limit.
The big mass of the hub adds much more stress than a heavy rider or vehicle would (either the spokes break or the nipples will pull through the rims).
So for such motors you want to have a rim with sufficienct wall thickness like these commonly used moto rims like MMP, Prowheel, SM Pro etc have, and thick spokes (minimum 12GA IMO).
Furthermore the spokes are quite short because of the large motor flange so there anyway won't be much flex in the wheel (which would make it stronger), and than it is saner to build it stiffer with thicker spokes.
IMO there is nothing wrong with the moped stuff, because the weight of the hub makes it inevitably necessary.

check this out:

20939b-4.jpg

20939b.jpg

this would be the optimal Hub motor wheel (it is BionX D motor laced into 20" bicycle rim).
The spokes are long enough for dampening the motor mass and providing some flex, and the motor is super lightweight as well.
I hope to get soon such bare D-motor and the single components for building that wheel.
than i will push it to the limits with external controller :)

Back