Viewing post history: Re: Electric Hydrofoil/E-Foil

This page shows all versions of the post, starting with the most current version.
Viewing post history
This page shows all versions of the post, starting with the most current version.

Current post: Re: Electric Hydrofoil/E-Foil

Postby eyebyesickle » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:46 pm

Jezza wrote:
Bazaki wrote:I know we can foil with less power,.thanks for posting details.
He goes about 30kmh at human power, but i wonder what speeds we will get with 11kw. A foil that can go 60 kmh is much more fun than 30kmh.

I also wonder how much watt we loose from the drag of the casing of the motor. Lets say 40kmh with 10cm diameter but with a sharp edgde

Have you ever had a bad fall waterskiing? I have and you can have a serious impact. Falling at 60kmh from a height of 1m above the sea will hurt like a mother $&*%$£!!

I think the most frustrating part of this project for me is by far trying to find gearboxes. I'd love to experiment with a complete budget build, but gearboxes seem pretty scarce in the UK (and very costly). I am debating whether an adjustable drill gearbox would work...

I will gladly eat it for breakfast lunch and dinner once I have one of these :lol:

I was just gonna strap this to a foil (with duct tape, of course):

Price :256 usd
Rated Speed: 1950 turns/minutes
Rated current/Amp:48A/24V
Decibel:50
Propeller:3 leaves/10.6 inch
Max speed:2500 meter/hour
Max power to propel:1000 KG
Suitable for:6-8 person
Power:1152W
KW:0.756
Propelling effort:1000KG

double the voltage to 48v/48a...

the spec says 25kph for 6-8 people... @ 24v/48a! 10.6" 3 blade propeller @ 1950rpm (under load??)

- YEAH RIGHT

... it is 86lb thrust though... I see a lot rated at 22kph for 500lb... so... maybe if I overvolt it, strap it to a foil, and sink a 72v test battery into the marine hatch I'll slap in (gotta get the best hatch sourced, important for this IMO)... that's what I was thinking for concept....

The motor is $250... the battery would be laying around... I will use a cheapo digital waterproof remote temp sensor temporarily... I am just trying to left myself up to motivate myself to sink (poor choice of words?) the rest ..... as an alternative if I am too lazy to pull a 'meister' (who is killing it, by the way):

- I print a 3D adaptor to attach the trolling motor directly
- water cool or swap out motor (depending on temps, I'm sure I will have to)
- custom ESC/waterproof remote

but I was so gung ho, like I said, I was just going to strap it to as is! ha

Oh, tell me I am not the only one who was thinking of mounting this into a upside down jet drive on the bottom fin to increase lift! hahahaha. Better get that angle right :lol:
Edited by eyebyesickle on Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:05 pm.
RE-CYCLES - CUSTOM BUILDS/FRAMES/MOTORS/KITS/BATTERIES/ACC./ETC.
ES: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=81828
EBAY: http://www.ebay.com/usr/recyclesebiketech
TSDZ / BBS / BATTERIES: www.recycles-ebike.com
EMAIL: recyclesebikes@outlook.com
eyebyesickle
1 kW
1 kW

Original post: Re: Electric Hydrofoil/E-Foil

Postby eyebyesickle » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:46 pm

Jezza wrote:
Bazaki wrote:I know we can foil with less power,.thanks for posting details.
He goes about 30kmh at human power, but i wonder what speeds we will get with 11kw. A foil that can go 60 kmh is much more fun than 30kmh.

I also wonder how much watt we loose from the drag of the casing of the motor. Lets say 40kmh with 10cm diameter but with a sharp edgde

Have you ever had a bad fall waterskiing? I have and you can have a serious impact. Falling at 60kmh from a height of 1m above the sea will hurt like a mother $&*%$£!!

I think the most frustrating part of this project for me is by far trying to find gearboxes. I'd love to experiment with a complete budget build, but gearboxes seem pretty scarce in the UK (and very costly). I am debating whether an adjustable drill gearbox would work...

I will gladly eat it for breakfast lunch and dinner once I have one of these :lol:
RE-CYCLES - CUSTOM BUILDS/FRAMES/MOTORS/KITS/BATTERIES/ACC./ETC.
ES: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=81828
EBAY: http://www.ebay.com/usr/recyclesebiketech
TSDZ / BBS / BATTERIES: www.recycles-ebike.com
EMAIL: recyclesebikes@outlook.com
eyebyesickle
1 kW
1 kW

Return to Electric Watercraft