19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Use the spoke calculator at www.ebikes.ca and perhaps they might even have that motor in their list of motors, if not then you punch in the correct numbers yourself.

You will need the ERD of the rim, hopefully its printed on the rim, or you can find the specs online for that rim.
The motor measurements are easy to do as well, and is well documented at ebikes.ca

Super thank you ever.

Motor is in the list Mxus xf40-45H, the rim is not.

Rim is a MX SM Pro 19x1,4

I have the rim unfortunately not yet!

OK so you want super strength and durability - You need butted spokes so its stronger at the flange then the spoke thins out. It seems logical to go thicker spoke but thats not the reality of it. The spoke needs to flex from my gatherings, so thats why its thinner at the nipple side, but you need strength at the curved part of the spoke that goes to the flange so it needs to be thicker guage.

Iam in bit of a pickle myself I need to get a spoke set made to fit the mxus 3k turbo into a 20" Alex rims dx32 rim, I've seen it done on a2beast's metro with 10 gauge spoke to the stock rim so its not impossible, the only problem is the spoke angle is 65° anything over 70° puts stress on the nipples with a stock bike rim, I need a 1 cross pattern with 10gauge at the hub flange and 13gauge at the rim only custom spokes will work but its going to be at a very steep angle for a the stock rim so it's safer to use a 1.60 ×16" moped rim with angled holes to suit a 1 cross spoke design then use 10awg straight through and that will make the ride more harsh but the wheel can go much greater speeds.

I am trying to lace a rim with 68 deg nipple angle, I got the spoke length for 2x. Plus my nipple over hang is only 0.82mm. Its basically a no go.

Oh well my good rim comes tomorrow, and hopefully my spokes as well, for a proper 1X on a proper rim.

Was kinda wanting to ride tomorrow thats why I tried lacing it tonight on an old rim, and some spokes I had laying around. But that was just a regular mtb rim. The moto rims are looking better and better because the nipples seat in the angle.

Ianhill said:
Iam in bit of a pickle myself I need to get a spoke set made to fit the mxus 3k turbo into a 20" Alex rims dx32 rim, I've seen it done on a2beast's metro with 10 gauge spoke to the stock rim so its not impossible, the only problem is the spoke angle is 65° anything over 70° puts stress on the nipples with a stock bike rim, I need a 1 cross pattern with 10gauge at the hub flange and 13gauge at the rim only custom spokes will work but its going to be at a very steep angle for a the stock rim so it's safer to use a 1.60 ×16" moped rim with angled holes to suit a 1 cross spoke design then use 10awg straight through and that will make the ride more harsh but the wheel can go much greater speeds.

Redrill the motor hub for paired holes? http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/spoke-calc.html#lacing-options

Using different spacings will allow for different angles and maintain the cross pattern you want.

Hi folks,

Was wondering if anyone can help (apologies in advance if this question has been answered)
I currently have a QS205/50H V3 motor set up on a 19" X 1.6" rim. Does anyone have any recommendations on which "road tire" will fit? Will be mainly using this to commute, so looking for a good road tire that will fit.

I've currently stumbled on a Dunlop D401 90/90-19 (width between 2.75 - 3.00) which has great reviews - but says recommended rim is 2.15.

The other one I found was a Pirelli MT66 90/90-10 (width between 2.75 - 3.00) - but also says recommended rim is 2.15

Do you think they will fit into the 19X1.6 rims?

I can't for the life of me, find any "road tires" that will fit on these rims (can only find offroad tires)

Many thanks in advance for your help!

agedashidofu said:
Hi folks,

Was wondering if anyone can help (apologies in advance if this question has been answered)
I currently have a QS205/50H V3 motor set up on a 19" X 1.6" rim. Does anyone have any recommendations on which "road tire" will fit? Will be mainly using this to commute, so looking for a good road tire that will fit.

I've currently stumbled on a Dunlop D401 90/90-19 (width between 2.75 - 3.00) which has great reviews - but says recommended rim is 2.15.

The other one I found was a Pirelli MT66 90/90-10 (width between 2.75 - 3.00) - but also says recommended rim is 2.15

Do you think they will fit into the 19X1.6 rims?

I can't for the life of me, find any "road tires" that will fit on these rims (can only find offroad tires)

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Those tires will fit your rim, however, a 90/90 tire is going to be closer to 3.75 inches wide. Thats a big tire. You would really be better off going with a Shinko SR244 2.75-19 tire which is about a 60% road 40% dirt tire for motorcycles, but for ebikes, it can be a 100% road tire with no problems.

Have just tried to put a 80/90-21 wheel on my 24" rim.... This does not fit... Bullsh*t! :|

DasDouble said:
Have just tried to put a 80/90-21 wheel on my 24" rim.... This does not fit... Bullsh*t! :|

By "wheel" and "rim", do you mean tire and rim? Or do you mean wheel and frame?

Whichever you mean, a 24" bicycle rim measures 20" at the bead seat. So hypothetically, it would fit a 20" moto tire (though spooning it on might damage the rim).

Chalo said:
DasDouble said:

By "wheel" and "rim", do you mean tire and rim? Or do you mean wheel and frame?

Whichever you mean, a 24" bicycle rim measures 20" at the bead seat. So hypothetically, it would fit a 20" moto tire (though spooning it on might damage the rim).

I meant a 21" moto tire on a 24" bicycle. Now I will go with the 70/100-19 F546. Looks quite neat and seems like it will fit on my 24" mtb rim.

http://www.shinkoreifen.de/motorrad/reifen/motocross.html

shinko_cross_f524.jpg

I meant a 21" moto tire on a 24" bicycle. Now I will go with the 70/100-19 F546. Looks quite neat and seems like it will fit on my 24" mtb rim

It wont fit on a 24MTB rim, the bead will blow off the rim as soon as you exceed 5 PSI. Traditionally 24MTB rims are 20" OD, your typical adult size dirt bike rim is 21"x1.60 wide.

17" moto rim fits 20" bicycle
19" moto rim fits 24" bicycle
21" moto rim fits 26" bicycle - Assumed

https://www.electricbike.com/moped-rims-tires-hubmotors/

I have a 16" x 1.60 steel rim bought it for $50cdn, found a few others recently in the online classifieds, thought about purchasing them, but no need really. HolmesHobby has his last batch of 17x1.60 rims that come to $125cad shipped to Canada. Its a little steep price wise for my liking. I dont mind heavier steel, rusty bits for $50cad. I will lave the 16" x 1.60 into my MXUS 3000W thats still apart, laziness on my part. Get by with my Conhismotor 1500W that I have up for sale locally. I am in no rush to sell it, but perhaps I should be as winters coming and would like cash to buy mid-drive then dont have to worry about rims and spokes and breakage.

What will my 16x1.60 be converted to bicycle wise, I'd guess 18" maybe 18.5" bicycle. Which is perfect for my needs. For the Direct Drive setup, smaller diameter wheel = slower speeds, but my MXUS 3kW is 4T, no worries there. Then I prefer lots of torque for my fat lazy ass, and smaller diameter = shit tons of torque. Please dont confuse a lower Turn Count motor to have more or less of anything compared to a higher Turn Count, just the propogated Myth that Justin talks about here.

http://www.ebikes.ca/learn/hub-motors.html
One false and oft-repeated conclusion is that therefore the 409 is a higher torque motor than the 406 because it can produce the same torque with fewer amps, or likewise more torque with the same amps. This is not the case. All 400 series motors can deliver exactly the same torque at exactly the same efficiency. The lower winding count motors just need more current to do this, but because they have fewer turns of a shorter length of heavier gauge wire, they can handle high currents with minimal loss. To use a concrete example, lets compare a 404 with a 408. The 408 has twice the number of turns than the 404, so the copper wire in the windings has 1/2 the cross sectional area and twice the length, for a total of 4 times the winding resistance of the 404. For a given torque output, the 408 needs only 1/2 the amps, but because it has 4 times the resistance the net electrical loss (I2R) is exactly the same.

Another consequence of having a larger number of turns around each stator is that the voltage induced in the winding by the passing magnets is increased in direct proportion to the number of turns. So for instance, at a certain speed of rotation, the 408 motor will produce twice the back-emf voltage as a 404 motor rotating at the same RPM. To power a motor, the battery pack voltage needs to be greater than the back-emf voltage, and so the 408 motor needs twice the voltage to spin at the same speed as a 404. However, it will only draw 1/2 the current, and you can see that the net power input (Volts * Amps) remains the same.

Also there is a thread here on ES about the Myth, its long, but it mostly makes sense to me now.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64907&hilit=Myth
Its long. Just read what Justin says, much clearer.

Oh boy, now Im f*cking confused as hell... Holy cow.. :roll:

Rix said:
I meant a 21" moto tire on a 24" bicycle. Now I will go with the 70/100-19 F546. Looks quite neat and seems like it will fit on my 24" mtb rim

It wont fit on a 24MTB rim, (?)the bead will blow off the rim as soon as you exceed 5 PSI. Traditionally 24MTB rims are 20" OD, your typical adult size dirt bike rim is 21"x1.60 wide.

Jimboyr6 said:
Hi im running 1.4 19" moto rim works great with 2.75 x19 trail tyre best thing i ever done
A 19 is the closest match to the mtb 24" wheel.

Jimboyr6 said:
liamcaff said:
Jimboyr6 said:
Hi im running 1.4 19" moto rim works great with 2.75 x19 trail tyre best thing i ever done
A 19 is the closest match to the mtb 24" wheel.

Looks great!

Where did you buy your tire and tubes? Trying to source some over here...

Got a michelin 70/100/19 tube,and the 2(.)75x19 trail tyre of ebay or u can get 3.00x19 tyre.

<<ENTER BIG CONFUSED EMOJE HERE>>

Rix said:

It wont fit on a 24MTB rim, the bead will blow off the rim as soon as you exceed 5 PSI. Traditionally 24MTB rims are 20" OD, your typical adult size dirt bike rim is 21"x1.60 wide.

I have tried a 21" moto tire before and it is way to big to fit on my 24" bicycle rim. Now order is already made.. Lets have a look what a 19" moto tire looks like on a 24" bicycle rim... :roll:

I know this is a 19" wheel thread but if anyone wants a steal of a lifetime here is the link below

There is a lot of 17" steel VOLOCI wheel sets(front/rear) on EBay for a great price of $100 a set free shipping! This is not my sale, just spreading the word!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-Volo...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

This rear wheel used the same famous 135mm dual disc hub used by me and many other ES members, with beast thru axle included! It is worth it alone to buy the set for the rear hub. The front wheel is a QR so you will likely have to re lace it to a 20mm thru axle but it is simple an I've done it easily with no experience.
Uun-qBMO3Pf_XyGDO7zEZ9-yUXGGxExzxweXvDfACparTE7a1k1r94uQIOIaDynPiMhg-As0ejx7B9SWcoyFdMBwgRI4rFvEX_WUUu8WNbgBy4hfOBmZ-7snu1EjpmdU7JOF0KppyAHRs8_mekUEo9KNnjbuOR34Zuz-58ISNp1K0O-K5rk5uBpPUkvAl30euaRkClREO9Klwj-Ikrp1dDzpARB8e7wpnpn8C7yBMRikgOHiVTiG-4bOXG0VDPxE85doX0tyzfwh4wWeiuGDD3qeRfkzZdkJoX2LOuX8h593gtcwbHBbe95oBaWOolYy3p6zYFUnp-LZCp-e7qbquLVfXt-S8YJ-Ka7MdPAsYiSA8wpdM_Hhh1rzMh3dSpRznmw9e0Oq_5l9fU9AlSfH32OegdCUrsWwA_ro9coQfqLp8ZxxDZ7Ep5jvBP91w8YwAhh5eNgXiHciGN_UnZC-CbSOZZqDkl-o-MqzUYenB-4T5TgCLbkiJKBRfTHdrRTUJiUVylWsmsFvyKIhvOB-JYFpvWMZZRfRZdoK2wnvCvzOHVZYbuhoPZP_sgC88pLpOWuKY3XDmMpoidIoj9RYAGLU4FQyKTaDlVvUqmtq-ObZFEoQdMWg=w1038-h775-no

Note these wheels are bomb proof and are steel! They add a decent amount of weight to the build but can handle 20kw no problem

Trying to fit a motorbike tyre on a bicycle wheel is ridiculous. Its not going to happen, and will lead to disaster. Would you really feel confidnt going 50mph on an ill fitting tyre and rim combination?

brumbrum said:
Trying to fit a motorbike tyre on a bicycle wheel is ridiculous. Its not going to happen, and will lead to disaster. Would you really feel confidnt going 50mph on an ill fitting tyre and rim combination?

What about this dude? He has done that. Also motorcyle tires last way longer then bicycle tires. I have tried the 24x3 one from LMX I think it was and its now already done, down to 1mm while my rear motorcycle wheel still looks like it has 80% of its rubber left. And I never brake with front break by the way.. :roll: :pancake:

GCinDC said:
Going to include links to other member's 19" MC wheel builds. Feel free to add more. Here are a couple now:

ZombieSS's Official Greyborg Warp build thread
file.php

Electric Jeepster - New(ish)member new build
file.php

markz said:

16" moto wheels fit 20" bicycle, but only the one with ETRTO of 406mm

@ DasDouble

before speculating any longer, turn on your brain and calculate the "inch" to "mm"
there are many different ETRTO sizes of rims among the 20", 24", 26" and so on, so it makes no sense to generalize the statement.

an example:

16" are 406,4mm so those tires will fit on 20" bicycle wheels with ETRTO of 406mm

There is no doubt a motorbike tyre tread will last longer, but there is also no doubt that you are currently in a realm of trial and error trying to fit a round peg into a square hole. Good luck spending money trying out different combos until you get one to fit, but you wouldnt catch me riding your bike at speed. Ever thought of buying one of these?.... The seller with drop ship from China for you to a avoid customs/duty charges...... https://www.electricrt.com/collections/front-wheels

Back