Single speed rear drive kit?????

jawnn

100 W
I have a friend that is looking to motorize his Surley long tail cargo bike. with skinny drive train, like 10 in the rear.

I want him to do a single gear motor driven drive train from behind the seat. But there are no kits for such a rig. So I was looking at the 'Ecospeed' kit and hoping that it could be turned into a left side drive....

Got any better ideas for simplicity?

Ecospeed is crazy expensive and underpowered for what you get.

You might want to look at a GNG or cyclone mid drive and make a custom bracket to mount it behind the triangle directly to the rear. Less cost, more power..

The only problem is that you will need to change some gear ratios because these mid drives are designed to move a crank at around 80rpm. You might be able to just take a single stage off the reduction and go straight to the rear wheel from there.

I'm curious what he's doing, that would make using a regular mid drive and 7 speeds not work good, or even a larger hub motor, which can use a 9 speed screw on freewheel.

Simple would be a 500w rated direct drive running at 1000w. If he's really overloading it, then you would want to go to a left side chain drive something. But if total weight is under 400 pounds, there is just no need for that, even on 8% grades. For same weight and steeper grades, then a 750w mid drive, and thicker 7 speed chain.

Whatever motor he chooses, he'll never need 10 gear choices again. More like 3 he will actually use.

well he wants to keep his skinny drive train.... and I just don't think anyone around here should plan for less that 450lbs on our steep hills. but some people just don't understand how living with out a car will be so much harder.

things are changing, automobiles will be extinct soon, unless you're rich.

I suspect a really powerful mid drive and the skinniest chain is a poor choice. And for that load out, a 350w mid drive is not ideal either.

You can get a 9 speed screw on freewheel, and do the rear motor thing. I suggest a pretty powerful one, not a 500w rated dd, or geared motor.

Another option also exists, back up a less than mega power mid drive with a front hub. Or even just put a huge front hub on it and be done with it. That worked ok for Justins ride across Canada, for one example.

But,,,, you need to pound it into this guys head, he will never need close spaced gear ratios again with the motor. Yes to a wide range, but not one cog different choices. The motor is not fussy about the perfect ratio like your legs are. 7 gears, 14 to 32 or so, will be all he needs, even after losing the front rings to the mid drive.

Or one big ass motor, and one 18t in back :twisted:

what do you think of this kind of drive?
crank%2Bdriving%2Bmotor.JPG

Back