Charge 52V Dolphin with this MPT-7210A?

Stu Summer

100 W

Can I charge my Luna 52V Dolphin pack with a 285W solar panel by using this MPPT Solar Charge Controller set at, say, 56V or 52V? Will it damage the battery?

Thanks, I'm pretty wet behind the ears.

Stu Summer

Should be fine. Just make sure you use the current limiting function, if your battery can't handle the 5-6amps that the solar panel can put out.

I have one of those to charge a a 24v battery. Difference is though, my battery is 130Ah, so could soak up anything my solar panels could throw at it.

the main thing is that you need to know the exact voltage to charge to.
given by #cells x 4.2v for li-ion and #cells x 3.6v for lifepo4
what is the configuration of the luna battery?
im guessing its a 14 cell li-ion so its max charge is 58.8v
this is an absolute max. if you accidently charge above that to say 63v you will have destroyed your battery and may have a potential fire on your hands at some stage (maybe down the track)
you can undercharge but the BMS wont balance until nearly full.
can you set V accurately on your MPPT charger? 56 or 52 is nowhere near accurate enough
k

kdog said:
the main thing is that you need to know the exact voltage to charge to.
given by #cells x 4.2v for li-ion and #cells x 3.6v for lifepo4
what is the configuration of the luna battery?
im guessing its a 14 cell li-ion so its max charge is 58.8v
this is an absolute max. if you accidently charge above that to say 63v you will have destroyed your battery and may have a potential fire on your hands at some stage (maybe down the track)
you can undercharge but the BMS wont balance until nearly full.
can you set V accurately on your MPPT charger? 56 or 52 is nowhere near accurate enough
k

Those controllers can be set to 100th of a volt. How accurate they really are are another matter entirely.

Do you already own the charger? I have a new unused for a discounted price...

BTW there a couple of good videos, one from a Brit that works out the kinda crazy setting details.

if this charger is so cheap ($44 on Amazon), how come more people don't use this as a cheap alternative to a Cycle Satiator? Seems to do similar thing (albeit without the bells and whistles). Hook up a cheap 12v wall wart you may have kicking around to power it, and you have full control over max charge voltage and charging amperage.

Is anyone using it for this purpose? I'd love to get one to charge a 52v shark pack to 80%, 90% etc. at home.

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Docooler%C2%AE-Battery-Regulator-Charge-Controller/dp/B01HCL7LEW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508372775&sr=8-1&keywords=MPT-7210a

The specs on these chargers are exaggerated.

I had a 14.8v, 150A capable power supply on one side, and a very low resistance 24v battery on the other side. It couldn't even push 2A.

Also, some sellers say that it's MPPT. Thats crap. If the input side voltage goes above the output voltage, it just passes the voltage through, which can overcharge the battery.

Its a boost converter MPPT - if input > output, then this will happen normally.

There has been quite a bit of testing with these, and people are reporting decent power, 4-500W.

Hmm. Mine was advertised as a "MPPT Buck and Boost Controller"

I read that as (MPPT Buck) + Boost, as I didn't think MPPT boost existed. I still expected it to control charge voltage both directions though.

Still doesnt explain why I can only get 2A boost out of it. I wonder if the originals were such good value for money that there are cheap knock offs already.

Alright, I am an idiot.

After what Heath said, I retested my system. The issue is a 15m cable using 1mm^2. That is rated to 11A depending on the conductor, but at 10A, the voltage drop over the whole length is 2.55v, The battery is only "seeing" a lower voltage, hence lower potential difference between battery and charger, and lower charge rate.

I've unfairly maligned this charger. My apologies.

Is there any tutorial/manual for this regulator? I read it is also for lithium, but cant find any screenshot showing charge curve or battery type.

Sunder said:
Sunder, can you give an update on the 7210A..
Is it still working reliably ?
Does it stop the charge when a min current level is reached, or is it just time based ?
Are you still running it from a power supply , rather than solar ?
Any other problems with it to date ?
Thanks

Hey mate,

It's been a while since I had that in production. I've taken a very different approach as to how to do this. (I ended up stepping up the 14.8vdc to 240vac, transmitting it to a normal battery charger, stepping it back down to 24vdc - less efficient, but much faster charging).

In answer to your question:

1. Don't know, I repurposed it about 6 weeks ago, so it still works, but it probably has been out of action for a year between then.

2. It's strictly a CC/CV charger with no smarts. You set the max voltage, and once it hits it, it will stay on passing zero current. If you drain the battery, it starts running again. Note that if the input voltage ever exceeds the battery voltage, it's just passed through, so there is no overcharge protection.

3. The power supply is the Traction Battery to Accessory battery of my Outlander PHEV. Yes, it's a $50k generator on wheels :p

4. Aside from the fact it's pretty noisy for my current purpose? Not really.

If you want it to use with a solar panel:

It does NOT have an MPP tracker. MPP tracking is just a fake. I tries to reach the power you set it to and tan works at that level as a boost charger (outside the MPP) and if there is a shadow or something else it stops working.

At lwast this is how my thing works.

input current is limited to 10A and you better think about better cooling.

Genasun makes good solar boost chargers with real MPP tracking, but they are significantly more expensive (and the max Voltage is fixed)

No intention of powering from solar. Intend to use a 24v power supply.
I need the ability to change 36, 48, 52, volt charge level simply so those Genasun units wont work for me.
Not many options with that range of charge voltages....none of them perfect !

Hillhater said:
Sunder said:
Sunder, can you give an update on the 7210A..
Is it still working reliably ?
Does it stop the charge when a min current level is reached, or is it just time based ?
Are you still running it from a power supply , rather than solar ?
Any other problems with it to date ?
Thanks

I can get 400 watts out of my 7210A depending on how low the 36volt batteries are.

Back