Retirement Time

tomjasz said:
One ebike is not enough, build one from nothing, a complete scratch build. From bare frame.

A scratch build starts with tubing! Now that's a hobby.

https://www.bikecad.ca

Chalo said:
tomjasz said:
One ebike is not enough, build one from nothing, a complete scratch build. From bare frame.

A scratch build starts with tubing! Now that's a hobby.

https://www.bikecad.ca
I can count on you to correct my usage. Scratch for ME is from a bare already painted frame. Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Chalo said:
A scratch build starts with tubing!

Starting with pre-made tubing... I dunno, isn't that kind of cutting corners on a scratch build? :lol:
Wonder how a guy could replicate the tube forming process in his garage with hammer, anvil and propane torch...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdnMb6mvWhs

Actually, I'd love to build a steel frame at some point.
Bamboo build went well, and braze-ons have gone well... gives me hope.

footloose said:
Starting with pre-made tubing... I dunno, isn't that kind of cutting corners on a scratch build? :lol:
Wonder how a guy could replicate the tube forming process in his garage with hammer, anvil and propane torch...

Well, brass instrument makers still do it more or less like that. Most quality bike tubing is seamless anymore, which is made by a different process known as deep-drawing.

That would also be a fine way to use up some surplus time and attention.

I'll settle for going halfway and reusing tubes from other things, cutting and shaping and welding as needed. ;)

I'm not ready to start a mine and smelter yet. :p

have a look at atomiczombie ... I would really like to build a tadpole trike from just your basic alu square tubing, put a 3 kW motor in, that would make a nice vehicle

http://www.n55.dk/MANUALS/SPACEFRAMEVEHICLES/spaceframevehicles.html

http://www.pe.com/2017/06/20/hemets-simpson-park-closed-due-to-fire-danger/ :evil:
Hemet’s Simpson Park closed due to fire danger
By Craig Shultz | cshultz@scng.com | The Press-Enterprise
June 20, 2017 at 12:42 pm
The Hemet Fire Department has closed Simpson Park until further notice because of fire danger.
The combination of extreme heat and low humidity increases the threat of wildfire at the popular hiking and biking location south of the city.
The park joins at seven other areas in the region considered hazardous fire areas:
— Avery Canyon (Gibbel Road east of State Street in Hemet)
–North Mountain and Indian Canyon (San Jacinto area)
— Whitewater Canyon (Cabazon, north of Palm Springs)
— Nuevo/Lakeview (east of Menifee Road and San Jacinto Avenue)
— Minto (Sage)
–Reinhardt Canyon (north of Highway 74 and California Avenue in Hemet)
— Ramona Bowl and Bautista Canyon (southeast Hemet)

Congrats too! I'm retired a couple of three times so far. First was at 56, second at 62 ish, third is a sliding scale towards more free time.

I like to spend 75% of my time with folks younger than myself, and the rest with similar or older. I find the invigoration of the younger set therapeutic, and if you find a group that actually listens and respects your experience it is some of the best hours you will spend in life! It's fun again to be part of life where folks build on what you learned the hard way, then make it better with their creativity and insight. Also, never look back... always forward in the journey!

Had a bid accepted on a house in a suburban area. Seems to be more bike friendly than other neighborhoods I've seen there, only a couple of miles from shopping and possible jobs. We'll have to rough it here for a couple of weeks until we can move our stuff there from storage. Looks promising though.
Can't quit my night job until after escrow closes on the new place in order to qualify for the loan. I'm waiting to hear if I can transfer with the same job or if I'll have to re-apply for work at several different locations once we move. I would rather not have to drive to work unless it is raining.
Would like to find a temporary home for Chomper so he doesn't have to go couch surfing with us. Trouble is, he could bury himself somewhere and be hard to find, and I don't know if boarding is available at a dog lodge nearby. We have a portable enclosure for him, but he needs to go for walks in the grass several times a day for some dandelion treats and just like a dog can't be left in the car when it's hot. So if you see some goofy, scraggly-looking guy taking a Russian Tortoise and a Chihuahua for a walk, it's me. :pancake:

Bank of America does not get my celebrity endorsement for home mortgage. They are rude, threatening, confusing, and a nightmare to do business with. And I thought Wells Fargo was bad. :x

amberwolf said:
Why would they threaten a potential customer? That's just stupid. :/
I think they want some excuse not to give us the loan or something. They keep having some lady call us who keeps repeating herself without listening to our answers, then she becomes nice all of a sudden. :? And when my wife goes into the closest branch to fax paperwork to the loan officer (he's rude too) they ridicule her and are not friendly at all.
Reminds me of the pastor of my mom's church who was so insulting to us that we didn't end up going to my mom's funeral. :(
(That was eight years ago, so on the average many more people are nice than rude. Even civil would be ok.)

i made the mistake of checking online quotes for a car loan.
that resulted in a tsunami of emails and phone calls from finance people wanting to give me money . ( lesson, next time give your worst enemy"S name and phone number ! :wink: )
Very few would actually give me a firm written or email quote, wanting to rely on "friendly" indications of the cost.
but when they realize you are not about to tear their arm off for their money, they seem to change character and get shitty,...one even accusing me of wasting his time ( ? duh ?..he rang me ?)
i would not do business with these people face to face.

rojitor said:
retirement is the prize for a hard working life.

I used to think the same, but as I get older, and realise that some of the hardest working people I know will have to keep working well past when they should be retiring, and hoping the government doesn't cut the subsistence aged pension any further than they already have... Well, retirement is for the lucky.

You see, when the pension was first instituted, only 1/3rd of people would live to collect it, and only for a few years. Now, almost everyone (>80%) will, and most will for a few DECADES. Throw in the fact that while we live longer, we only live better at the (huge) expense of drugs and treatment, and the government simply cannot afford to keep paying oldies to retire.

I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm almost 40, and starting to think to think about retirement. The plan is to transition to retirement to at 55. 15 Years - My kids will be 18 and 20 by then. I'll do the first few years a mix between cycling around Australia, and volunteer work in Sydney - Leave the house to the kids to have wild parties when we're not around. Around 60, I'll kick the kids out of home (Give them a bit of help getting into their own houses), lease out the family home, and do the same thing around Europe and the US. I wonder what back packer hotels would be like for 60 year olds. While I'm lucky, I'm not that luck that I'll be able to do that in 5 star hotels...

Back in March I went online to see about refinancing, and here in June I have to explain to B of A to get a loan. A is for; well you know- not for apple. :x Wifey going back to the branch tomorrow. I told her to get a card from someone so i can complain to corporate. The employees there are even rude to each other in front of her and other customers. :shock:
I've switched banks before just because I didn't like their hours. Ended up at good old Lincoln Savings who ripped off my wife's grandma to the tune of $40,000. :evil:

Sunder, im a few years up the track from you, 65 tomorrow infact ! but i quit full time work a few years back at a "retrenchment" opportunity. .. kids are long gone and my better half has a well paid job so we are ok $$ wise.
However, i would strongly suggest that anyone planning a retirement has a good plan to keep them occupied, busy, and active, "cos there is a lot of time to fill, and if you stop, you will get bored.
Active hobbies like cycling, Ebike building, Travel, sailing, etc etc fit well as would running a small home based, part time, one man, business like battery building, etc to keep the brain active and top up the travel budget !
PS.. i can verify that back packer hotels are not very appealing once you pass 60 !
..infact the whole international travel experience becomes less appealing every year...thankfully Oz is a huge country that will take a long time to explore ......and a swag in the dessert is much more pleasant than Backpacker central !

For me, even though I love to ride, build, hike, camp etc, went back to some part time jobs, machining, writing, teaching for more social interaction. Wife has a job which she isn't going to leave for awhile.

Hillhater said:
Sunder, im a few years up the track from you, 65 tomorrow infact ! but i quit full time work a few years back

Happy Birthday mate! Glad the whole retirement thing is working out for you.

To be honest, I don't know if this whole planning for retirement thing is just a guise for... i've done this for 20 years of my life... is it really going to be 20 more?

It's a bit early for a mid life crisis, but I am starting to get the classic signs.. is this what I want? Is there something more? Or even just something different?

Anyone else go through the same? I hear that this is where a lot of high pressure professionals burn out. I've had a lot of pressure up until now, but a career set back has meant the last 6-12 months has been pressure off, and I am looking back now and wondering if I ever want to go back to that...

Today was my last day; 40 years, 3 months, and 4 days total service time. The Chief said today was the first time he saw me smiling. Had to clear HR, Employee Health, Police, IT, Fiscal, Library, Retail Store, and a host of other stops along the way.
Cleaned out two lockers, corner desk, leaving behind lots of rarely or never used tools. Saved historical uniform shirt and jacket and had new pants and shirt left over, along with storm suits, pac boots, etc. used sporadically over the years. Turned in cell phone and PIV card, yay! Now will spend much less of my day doing boredom therapy on the world wide wast of time. :lol:
Never got the coveted course record scorecard as a memento, but who cares: lynks are now a car park. :x
There were a few good people there, but on the whole the place had degenerated into a gang-infested and increasingly risky place to work, with so many violent psychos running around loose like ticking time bombs. :evil:
I'm glad nobody ever died or was seriously injured on my watch, but it's bound to happen with the idiots' illegal tactics and slip-shod management of the place now and going forward. :(

Sunder said:
Anyone else go through the same? I hear that this is where a lot of high pressure professionals burn out.
I never really get the chance to burn out.

My first career the place had a severe downturn and laid me and 3/5 of eveyrone else off after a few years there. After odd jobs for a few more years, I went to another longterm job, and then my second/third shutdown entirely twice (well, the second was bought out by the third, who years later themselves went out of business), after a little more than a decade. I've now been at my fourth career for a decade come this september, and have for the last few years seen the same signs I saw at the last one as it headed downhill toward selfdestruction, so I don't expect this one will be around for many more years, either.

Now, I did choose to do something different each time, so maybe I was trying to avoid the burnout thing, subconciously?

Back