Bafang BBS01 350w vs Dillenger 250w front hub

Bad news, the local fix-it guy couldn't fix-it. He simply said it was ok, the voltage coming out
of the charger was good and the voltage coming out of the battery was 36v and "pretty good too".

I gave up trying to explain the battery should be 42 v after a successful charge and the charger usually spins its fan up
to dissipate heat during the 3-4 amp charge. Which it doesn't now. So I rode it back to work watching the 3 bars on the display dwindle to 2.
Plugged it in at work and it still doesn't charge. Rode gingerly home on level 1.

I still reckon it's the bms motherboard and I'll have to find a bms from somewhere but in the meantime I took a leap of faith (since I've never bought from them before) and
ordered a 17Ahr Panasonic 18650 3400mAh bottle battery from Aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...lectric-bikes-36v-new-bottle/32750482185.html

A shot in the dark or verified seller? Brand, Booant?

byebyepetrol said:
Hi Tom,
It's a shot in the dark.
It should arrive soon. Stay tuned.
Chris.
Dang, i had a good lead for a trusted source. I hope it works out.

All the best,

Tom

I'm a patient man but it's wearing thin.

Battery not arrived from China, paid for 18th March.
There's two days left before I log a dispute.

Sky Technologies
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1473151

My busted BMS was shipped to a local retailer 2 weeks ago, e-max.com.au but I haven't received any
advice from them on its status.

Feb 1st was the last time I had the luxury of an electric drive-train, that's 10 weeks.

To Sky Technologies:
2017-04-12 08:26:55
Please advise of status of item.
Item purchased 16th March.
regards,
Chris Adams

This back from Sky Technologies last night:

Alice Lin
2017-04-12 16:37:08
hi,dear
thanks for your kind reminding,you know .it's very hard to send battery this time,DHL,Fedex,UPS all can't accept battery shipping ,so we send it via shipping company's own airplane to your custom,then send it to you via Australia post .
and we will pay the tax in the custom,you don't need to pay any again .
but for this package,it need about 7-10 days from China to your custom ,so there will be updated information after 7-10 working days for this tracking number .hope you can understand!
there will be updated information once it completed clearance.
if you have any other questions,feel free to contact with us .
Best wishes
Chris Adams

Warning
So if you're thinking of getting a battery in from this business ensure you have shipping details in writing before committing to anything.
Their point of sale info doesn't say anything about "...hard to send battery...".

Hard to be sympathetic when someone makes "a shot in the dark". I feel your pain but many here could given you a sure thing...im sorry to read its become a problem...

Hooray!
Battery arrived yesterday and after a bit of cutting and soldering I gave it a sound thrashing
to work and back.

5.jpg

It's mounted lower down than the "Dolphin" style pack with very little clearance to the seat tube.

Full-throttle stationary wheel-in-the-air is 53kmh.

It doesn't have the on-off switch either which I prefer so now to turn it on you use the handlebar mounted
switch.

Charger has no fan and charge indication is simply a red led for charging and green for full.

4.jpg

Looks pretty sleek; good job, Chris. Hope that you can leave your battery in the house unlike mine that stayed too warm after the last time I charged it and now resides outside.

After 10k+ commuting with a BBS01... for bike like speed these units are seriously underrated. Quiet, efficient... pretty straightforward really.

The more salient points after reading your thread:
- I have given up on 10 speed entirely. Its a just a marketing ploy for a thinner, weaker, more chewable drivetrain. Partners 9 speed has better wear and is much cheaper on parts. I have finished putting a 26" 9 speed bike together in the last couple of days... to be tested. The less gears, the more gap between them, the thicker chain construction can be.... the more aggressive the chainline between outer gears.
- I saw wiggle being mentioned in here, I usually buy from CRC as its usually cheaper with more range and is always cheaper than local.
- I have had surprisingly good wear from narrow wide chainrings... including Lekkie.
- Grease isn't really a ram it in till nothing more fits. This was the first approach I had and its just wrong. All that achieves is ramming into areas you don't want it in... reduction gear grease sneaking into the other side of the unit etc... generous and frequent greasing with the correct greases is the key. This also cleans the crud that sneaks past the seals to the reduction gear area out and ensure premature wear does not ensue. It reminds me very much of cup and cone bearings on shimano/older bikes... they can last ridiculous periods of time with the right maintenance.
- I will be commute testing both cheapish geared motor and DD alternatives in the near future as soon as I can be bothered with making my own battery/ move location. I'm not buying the hub/mid drive debate, its time to put them to the test.
- cheap batteries are a bit of a risk... you just don't really know what you are getting... Interesting though, I have found BMS sourcing to be the biggest headache out, mainly because I lack the skill and time to figure out the best means of testing their operation. I usually find people have selected a BMS based on what they have read about a vendor or alleged by someone else rather than any form of actual testing to inspire confidence. Once I'm sorted in the new man cave, getting a test procedure sorted will be one of the first things I get around to...

Hi Lurkin,
+1 on running fewer ratios on an eBike.
I reckon a 5 speed; 11t to 20t would do it.

Thanks 2Old.
What do you mean your battery resides outside now? Did it get damaged due to excessive heat while charging?

DD vs mid-drive.
IMHO there's not much in it if the terrain is relatively flat. Stick a few hills in
and the mid-drive with its greater gearing spread wins.

Chris.

Chris, battery stayed warm for an extended time after charging (no damage), so I don't want to charge or store it in the house now. However, it's had (having) an exemplary life powering both a BBS02 and 1000w YESCOM motor.

My original Dillinger battery is still working away on a mates ebike. Gets him 36kms of low assist a day - and that's with a full 42v charge each and every time. Have you salvaged the cells from your old bike? The vruzend solderless assembly option looks interesting if you do..

I'm still using the battery (52V) with both my systems, just leaving it outside (going to try and locate an ammo box to store it).
I've found BBS02 with 8-speed Altus derailleur, 8-speed KMC chain (Amazon $20 & $8, respectively) and 8-speed spacing on the hub 11-17-28 has worked well for 18 months of pretty hard off road and some road riding. About six months ago I lowered the gearing with a 30 tooth Luna front chainring. The hypothesis was that chain wear is accelerated with extreme angles; accordingly the 17 is straight chainline and either gear is one click away; motor makes up for "three-speeds".

Hi Fourbanger,
The battery and charger combo is AOK.
I've done about 500km on it and it's just as good as the
previous one. Panasonic 18650 3400mAH.

The profile of the new housing is sleeker and the mounting
is more secure.

Would I buy again from Skytech? Yes, I would, just not during
Chinese New Year ;0)

I've since received a new BMS from BMS Battery to replace the busted one.
It took 10 days this time!

Chris.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I keep eyeing that seller on ali but have been too chicken to go through with it. Some vendors set off my BS detector more than others and these guys always seem right on the fence to me. 15A discharge on that battery seems a little anemic to me but hey, if that's all you need then that's that.

Best,

Very cool thread, too bad I did not see it before ordering a BBS02. I did hesitate a long time, and eventually got it after being told the BBS01 would be too weak for my need. Now I am considering replacing it with BBS01 to save another 400g.. But I am unsure it would be happy with my existing 48volt battery. If anyone can comment on that..

1a.jpg

Welcome to Endless Sphere Forums.
It's a bit of a slow forum but there's a wealth of
info already available.

Your bike looks great; what sort of riding do you do?
The front shocks I expect would make a huge difference
in comfort for en eBike,

As for swapping back to BBS01 while retaining 48v; I'm not sure.
If you look at the controller specs for the BBS01 it's 15amps max.
36v x 15amps 540w max

So I expect anything beyond 540w might thermal stress the FETS and damage them
permanently.

Keep it below 540w = 48v x amps
= 11.25amps

Ride it in the arctic circle and it'll likely be ok but in warmer climes it'll bust for sure.

Chris.

Nice conversion. That bike must weigh close to 50 pounds; don't think the 400 grams is worth the additional expense and chance for motor "burn-out". My BBS02 has been zipping along perfectly for about two years now.

Old chainring 437g new 'ring with adapter 246g.

It's a bit ostentatious. A bit Liberace.

Next-up, replace the chain, 8K km isn't bad from a chain (SRAM) on an eBike.

Attachments

• newring52T.jpg
    newring52T.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 6,158
  • oldring52T.jpg
    oldring52T.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 6,158
New chain; Shimano CN-HG95 and new Shimano XT cluster vastly improved the ride to work today.
No missed shifts, no noise, even in 4th gear with its subsequent chain-deflection.

Previously ran an SRAM 9-speed but this chain / cluster combo is much better.

Attachments

• newchain.jpg
    newchain.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 6,088
14 000km report.
I ride this to work and back, rain and shine.

Decas 52T chainring hasn't worn much. I can't see any wear.
Slight cog noise was evident around 11 00km. Disassembled and lubed but that didn't fix it.

I suspect a new drive gear/spur combo needs replacing but I'l ride it 'til it stops then get one.

Battery mount got worse over time. The drink holder fixings aren't up to the job; bearing in mind the bike has no suspension.

Gaffer tape to the rescue. That was at 12000km. I've since done a futher 2K and the gaffer is holding strong.

Battery performance is outstanding. I never worry about it. Ride it then plug it in. Simples.

While I replace the rotor in the 350w I thought I'd try the 500w version from Pirez Bikes.

Pirez was great to deal with and fast to ship.

Verdict: don't bother!

IMHO the 350w is fine for commuting. It's more efficient.

The 500w might give you a 5kmh top end gain but the battery consumption is foul.
The 350w promises a comfortable 50km range at Level 3 (out of 5) vs the 500w, which ran out of steam (it cut out)
after 36km at level 3 out of 3.

Admittedly it is cold at the moment in Tassie but the bike is kept in the office at work or the spare room at home all day before the ride home.

The coloured display is blingworthy but the voltage readout is still just a primitive voltmeter with no averaging intelligence. It does have a mini USB which is handy and it has a clock which the Bafang 961 didn't.

The 500w has a strange muted start up and it takes a couple of pedals for it to power up fully. It's a soft-start. The 350w doesn't have this quirk.

The On One forks replaced with Manitou R7s and they're good. 600g weight gain but that's ok.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Back