New Samsung cell 33G

Ah, I've just had another look and seen 2C/3C buried in cell_man's post.

So there we go, just another 3C incremental improvement on what's already on the market. Perfectly believable.

It was the idea that this was a big leap to a high capacity 10C cell that was getting things riled up.

I bought mine as a cheaper alternative to the high discharge cells. I use to run 50 amps on my play bike but now it should be back to 20-25 amps. EM3EV does good job/honest report of listing the different cells max amps for a guy like me.. Easy to figure out.. 8)

I have the 14S9P triangle pack from EM3EV, with 33G cells inside. At least that is what I ordered; I haven't dared pull the pack apart to actually check. :)

My setup is a BBS02, derated to 18A, so not a high power setup by ES standards. My daily commute is 30 km each way, i.e., 60 km roundtrip, on paved roads. I don't charge at work. I have only used it on 8-10 workdays so far, so no long term experience.

The pack delivers solid performance when used at these moderate power levels. My previous dolphin-type pack with 30Q cells sagged like my wifes tits (used for 1 year, 400 cycles). The 30Q pack also sagged when new and had to be charged at work to provide enough power. In contrast, I don't notice any voltage sag from this pack. Charging to 90% SoC gives ample juice for the round trip commute, with somewhere between 25% and 40% capacity leftover (resting cell voltage is 50V after roundtrip). I have charged at most 1 kWh into the pack (when charged to 90% SoC) measured at the outlet using a power meter, i.e., the 1 kWh is including charger conversion losses. If I recall correctly, resting pack voltage was approx. 50V (35% SoC?) before I charged 1kWh. To summarize, this pack does exactly what I need, and quite likely a bit more. I do wonder what the performance will be at sub-zero temperatures, which is going to happen here in 5 months (I commute year-round)... I'll provide an update here when that happens.

Boobyjohn said:
The pack delivers solid performance when used at these moderate power levels. My previous dolphin-type pack with 30Q cells sagged like my wifes tits (used for 1 year, 400 cycles). The 30Q pack also sagged when new and had to be charged at work to provide enough power. In contrast, I don't notice any voltage sag from this pack.
I assume the 30Q pack was smaller than your current pack? If you're pulling a lot less current per cell now, it doesn't mean there was a problem with the 30Q cells, just that you were demanding more from them. 30Q should outperform 33G on a per-cell basis, except for 10% lower capacity.

Boobyjohn said:
I have the 14S9P triangle pack from EM3EV, with 33G cells inside. At least that is what I ordered; I haven't dared pull the pack apart to actually check. :)

My setup is a BBS02, derated to 18A, so not a high power setup by ES standards. My daily commute is 30 km each way, i.e., 60 km roundtrip, on paved roads. I don't charge at work. I have only used it on 8-10 workdays so far, so no long term experience.

The pack delivers solid performance when used at these moderate power levels. My previous dolphin-type pack with 30Q cells sagged like my wifes tits (used for 1 year, 400 cycles). The 30Q pack also sagged when new and had to be charged at work to provide enough power. In contrast, I don't notice any voltage sag from this pack. Charging to 90% SoC gives ample juice for the .

Can you comment on the 30q pack of yours? How many cells S?P? Thanks.

I'm guessing the power capabilities of my previous packs have ruined me, but tbh I'm very disappointed in the 33g cell. I have a Reention 13s5p tiger shark pack with these cells inside and it powers a 1000w rear hub with lil 6fet sinewave esc. It was listed as 16.5ah, I guess calculating them as 3300mAh, but Paul says 3150mAh so that's what it is and it's really just a 15.75Ah pack. Another poster mentioned low voltage sag under load, but I'm not finding that at all. With only a 22a esc anything over like 800w really dips my sw900 batt display from 5 bars to 3 or even 2, even when full. It's not really heating up, so that's a bonus and means the pack isn't being overly stressed, it just seems to be less capable a 10a EV cell, than say the cheap 2200mAh LG MF1 or Samsung 22P that are in the decent hoverboard packs. I'm gonna have to see about running a parallel pack, perhaps an 8ah Lipo pack in parallel to give it some pep ;)

ABritInNY said:
It was listed as 16.5ah, I guess calculating them as 3300mAh, but Paul says 3150mAh so that's what it is and it's really just a 15.75Ah pack.
It's a 3.15Ah/6.5A cell.
SPECIFICATION OF PRODUCT.png

Pretty decent pricing if the model suits your use case

https://batteryhookup.com/products/30-100-new-samsung-inr18650-33g-3150mah-18650-cells

Wow, after all these years, it turns up again as a 3.3AH 6A cell for $2.That's not bad. I could have a 13S-5P battery for $130 in cells, and it would be 15-16AH, capable of 30A.

Ah, I have no need for more ebike batteries, although it would be fun to buy 100. But then I see they were also $2 in 2017. Kind of shows how dated these cells are today.

docw009 said:
Wow, after all these years, it turns up again as a 3.3AH 6A cell for $2.That's not bad. I could have a 13S-5P battery for $130 in cells, and it would be 15-16AH, capable of 30A.
Samsung 33G = 9.75A rating when NEW ... so 5p capable of at least 45A MCD ??

They're available NEW from BATTERY Bro (cell photo code is "3 GI1T"). American Bb team is in Hong Kong ... https://batterybro.com/products/samsung-18650-33g ... cell supplier is Voltaplex ... https://voltaplex.com/samsung-33g-18650-battery-inr1865033g
docw009 said:
Ah, I have no need for more ebike batteries, although it would be fun to buy 100. But then I see they were also $2 in 2017. Kind of shows how dated these cells are today.
If that's true (only 6A) than what's the true capacity and cycle life of these 2$ cells? Why not buy 30 for the FUN of it to test MCD rate and capacity. Let us know your test results ... :thumb:

You never know, but what you may decide to buy at least 30 more -- that's if test results are promising :)

Here's a different 10s3p arrangement using older Vruzend caps (free), and 10-32 bolts for secure cap compression. The early Vruzend kits didn't come with shoulder bolts. Used nickel plated copper busbars. Doubled up where necessary.

All 30 cells from same manufacturing code run ... https://batteryhookup.com/products/30-100-new-samsung-inr18650-33g-3150mah-18650-cells. All 30 tested upon arrival within 3mV of each other (3.544V to 3.547V) . Cell IR was higher than expected (30-35milliohms) ... actually higher than 10s3p 30Q "141" cells after 290 cycles.

So far after three charge/discharge cycles have not needed (so far) to bottom balance the ten p-groups before bulk charging. The ten parallel groups are within 10mV of each other after discharge. Charging to 4.10V per p-group.

This narower 10S3P arrangment would lend itself to a custom e-skateboard. Two top wires are same ... disconnected when charging as 5s6p. Discharge output from middle of pack also use when bulk charging. NO BMS NEEDED!

Original Liberty Trike slide-in battery (UPP) located below Cargo Container. Top two wires are same...just doubling up for less resistance allowing discharge connection to be in middle of battery.

Attachments

• 10S3P Vruzend Mod 2 Deep Instead of 3.jpg
    10S3P Vruzend Mod 2 Deep Instead of 3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 341
  • 10S3P Samsung 33G - New (2020) $2 Cells.jpg
    10S3P Samsung 33G - New (2020) $2 Cells.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 336
Called BH to find out if they've done a random IR test on any of the 33G cells? As far as he knew they've never tested any for Internal Resistance. He said that an IR in the 30s (milliohms) is still ok for those 2020 33G cells.

If i understood him correctly BH has sold 30,000 of 50,000 with no performance complaints ... which i second as no complaint about performance (capacity). My use is moderate cruising pulling on average no more than 10 amps from 10s3p DIY battery. So, at only $2/cell it was a good deal as all 30 cells are as normal as normal can be :wink: (IMO).

After a few cycles (so far) the mV variance of the 10 parallel groups is no more than 4mV. Whether at the bottom discharge of 34.0V (bounce back voltage) or top charge of 41.0V the variance between the 10 p-groups is no more than 4mV. So, no need to bottom balance the 10 parallel groups before bulk charging to 4.10V (41.0V as 10s3p).

My 33G cells' label code is: 3 KM3T. Thought 'K' meant a manufacture date in 2019 ... could be wrong. With moderate cruising use and bottom balancing (when necessary) this 10s3p DIY battery configuration should provide a cycle life that justifies paying $2 ea for these Samsung 33G cells ... https://batteryhookup.com/products/30-100-new-samsung-inr18650-33g-3150mah-18650-cells

Granted this DIY Vruzend build isn't the most efficient configuration. My DIY reasoning for a less than ideal current flow was for experimental purpose. Currently the IR (milliohms) from 1s-5s is: 14, 15, 14, 16, 19 and from 6s-10s is: 14, 15, 15, 18, 21. Used my RC Balance Charger for measuring IR of p-groups as 5s3p (1s-5s & 6s-10s), and as 5s6p.

IR as 5s6p using Y cables as shown in attached photo is: 7, 9, 8, 10, 13 (milliohms). The RC Balance Charger used to measure IR isn't the most accurate, but at least it gives me a sort of benchmark (to go by) as the cells age with more and more c/d cycles: 50, 100, 150, 200 (hopefully). I don't use a BMS - keep a close eye on it all the time ... :thumb:

DISCONNECT TOP WIRES IF CHARGING AS 5S6P AND FOR MEASURING RC BALANCE CHARGER IR FUNCTION (or :bolt:)

Attachments

• Internal Resistance As 5S6P Is  7  9  8  10  13.jpg
    Internal Resistance As 5S6P Is 7 9 8 10 13.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 296
Back