An idea for creating our own tire database

Hi,
During my persuit for a good tire for my e-bike, which would be flat-proof but also wide enough, I come into many opinions and speculations.
I am now mostly debated between the Marathon plus tour which is truly flatless but is quite narrow (28x1.75inch), requiring you to go to high pressures, vs the Big apple 28x2.35 which is much more comfortable and seems more smart for the much higher weight load (160-170Kg for a heavy loaded touring bike including the rider, motors and battery) - but it's puncture resistance experience is debated.

I thought - Why not create a database here, where everyone can add their own tires and/or add their own numbers regarding existing tire.
We can create a table for each tire where the addeable entries would be:
- Kilometers between punctures
- Rear/Front tire and what was the weight load on it
- Riding conditions (Road, Gravel, Off road or a combinations of those)
- Average temperature and quality of the roads where you live
- Geometry: What was the actual tire width and it's diameter and which rim you used
- Replaced after how many Kilometers

What do you think?
This can be very useful, to all of us!

The problem with tires, is that none are good for everyone. One that you like, may be absolute crap for another rider who has a different bike, a different riding style, or just ride it on a different rim at a different PSI.

A Big Apple is a good example. I would not ride one if it was free, while many are willing to order them online, pay shipping and wait a week or two to have them. Tires are made to satisfy various requirements, and every rider has his own preferences or priorities. Some value grip, other value lifespan, weight, puncture protection, rolling resistance, noise, etc...

Yeah a flatless tire would be great, just got a flat today and yet another thorn-proof tube is garbaged as the valve broke.

Since we are e-biking, then motorcycle rims, motorcycle tubes and motorcycle tires could be an alternative for some, while motorcycle tires and tubes may fight on a bicycle rim. The catalogue at the motorcycle stealership had lots of tires available, everything from D.O.T. to non D.O.T. rated.

markz said:
yet another thorn-proof tube is garbaged as the valve broke.
Use them for liners.

Remove teh valve stem, slit the tube along the inner circumference, and place it on the outside of the tube you're actually using. Essentially more than doubles your tube thickness.

markz said:
Yeah a flatless tire would be great, just got a flat today and yet another thorn-proof tube is garbaged as the valve broke.

Since we are e-biking, then motorcycle rims, motorcycle tubes and motorcycle tires could be an alternative for some, while motorcycle tires and tubes may fight on a bicycle rim. The catalogue at the motorcycle stealership had lots of tires available, everything from D.O.T. to non D.O.T. rated.

Are you aware of any low rolling resistance D.O.T. compliant motorcycle tires? So far my search for such a thing has come up with nothing. I need a CRR value below 0.008 in order to be able to pedal a bike using such monstrosities with the motor disabled. The closest thing I've found are certain models of the Schwalbe Energizer series tires for solar race cars, which aren't obtainable in the U.S.

The closest thing to a "flatless" bicycle tire out there that I am aware of is the Schwalbe Marathon Plus. I have a Marathon Plus Tour 26x1.5" on the rear wheel of my KMX trike and it has never gotten flat in more than 4,000 miles of use and its tread wear is barely noticeable. The Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 26x2" that I replaced has more than 10,000 miles on it, and it has never gotten flat once, and the tread is still good(it has poor traction in the rain and was replaced for that reason, because having to get out of the velomobile in traffic to pull it up an incline in the rain because the tire wouldn't grip got old fast). Up front, I use a set of 20x1.5" Schwalbe Marathon Greenguards and they've never gotten punctured either. I just replaced a set of Greenguards at 4,000 miles of use because while there was no actual wear in the tread pattern, there were cuts/gashes down to the greenguard layer.

The roads I've ridden on are littered with broken bottles, broken glass and metal shards from car wrecks, rocks, sticks, potholes, and everything else, and are not at all kind to normal bicycle tires.

Back