The BEST and FIRST Qulbix Raptor mid-drive build!

Yes, i unterstand .

I like the belt too but I had to make the choice of a chain a few years ago, with two astro 3220 and a chain ring adapter to the left size .

Attachments

• IMG_3003 (9).jpg
    IMG_3003 (9).jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 4,163
If a frame and rear hub were custom designed around belt drive and the extra width that is needed it would work great. Very technical, very expensive project but the end results would be quiet and low maintenance.

LightningRods said:
If a frame and rear hub were custom designed around belt drive and the extra width that is needed it would work great. Very technical, very expensive project but the end results would be quiet and low maintenance.
Actually smooth running is the primary benefit. There is a reduction in sound when running a belt (instead of a chain) directly to a motor shaft. But in a very low rpm second stage application like luk's bike, there is very little noise reduction. But the smooth running of a belt is awesome. :D

Very excited to start my swingarm drive build, thanks for the back and forth Mike.

Never built (or ridden) an ebike. 2 weeks ago was going to build a Walmart Genesis Farfle type bike and 2 weeks later I'm spec'ing out a swingarm drive and don't even have the frame yet.

Can you say scope creep? :mrgreen:

Plan is to order the frame and swingarm unpainted then TIG weld the motor mount to swingarm. Will powdercoat parts when complete.

I'm a total rookie to this electrical bike stuff but been building and modifying motorcycles to adventure bikes for a long time. Have a full machine shop etc.

Anyone with a Q76 frame that is having second thoughts? I''m looking for one hopefully sooner than ordering from Qulbix.

Sailah-

Thanks for your PM. I'm having another batch of five wheel hubs made right now. I still have swingarm mount brackets and I'm about to have more of those made. I should have you covered.

Mike

My chain tugs arrived. They are almost perfect as delivered. I had to relieve the front of the raised boss that rides in the dropout slot, and I had to widen the slot on the adjuster nut bracket to accommodate the unusually wide Qulbix dropout:

IMG_6555.jpg

I was able to make those mods with an angle grinder and a flat file. With those two changes the tug fits like a factory part:

IMG_6554.jpg

This should positively keep the axle from sliding forward under power.

By rough you mean competitive? I actually don't worry much about the competition. I follow my interests. I grew up racing MX motorcycles on the weekends and riding my bicycle on vacant lots and construction sites during the week. I would have killed for an electric dirt bike that I could ride whenever I wanted.

I'm close to getting this bike rolling. More frames coming in, more drives to design. I have to keep moving.

It's a customer's frame. He'd get really pissed off if I sold it. :D

There are enough people selling frames. I plan to stick to mid drives. A new design coming for the EEB very soon.

Five more 165mm Qulbix hubs fresh off of the lathe. Three of these go to Jason, Luk and Blair and two are up for grabs. A few operations on the mill and rotary table and these hubs will be ready for anodizing.

5QBhubs.jpg

Luk said:

Yah, I love the bete noire B/W look.. Artsy! :lol:

With a hint of Russian Industrialism (a touch retro, nee (accent mark...) ..

Dunno.. Maybe add a bit of a steam punk motif. sniff. And some robots with lasers!

STOP GLARING AT ME..

OK, I will go away now!

I just love how you guys just crank out these cool parts, making it look SO EASY!

Then a casual pic turns out to be super COOL, with ZERO effort. Unintentionally artistic? Or did he stage that shot and delete the first 212 tries?!?

Meek shall inherit the earth, well SCREW that..

Never admit anything!

Oh, yeah, it's cool.. indignant.. OF COURSE it is cool?!? everything we do is cool!

Why would it NOT be cool?

Full on, no shame for the win!

Kids these days.. Get off my lawn, mumble..

Can I get one made with the "Mad Max" style? extend them out a foot each way to provide space for fake pedaling motions, then weld on a bunch of jagged bits of metal, balanced of course. Do not want to not induce unwanted resonances.. Sadly, an under-served market space. Sigh.

How much extra cost would that be?

Last time I drove a bike in Hanoi, I literally strapped a large rusted old stove to the back half of the (100cc) moto seat. Bought it at the local junk dealer for $2.00 Money well spent.. People do not want to go near it, drive near it , or even look at the ugly thing. I am sure they think "WTF is this foreigner doing driving around with this thing?" Lots of space tho.. Even the car drivers show fear. The busses are not impressed, nor the trucks. It is a work in progress.

TLDR? Add jagged metal bits! Maybe some lasers.

Back