Tesla gearless cars?

Matt Gruber said:
So you guys don't count the 10:1 tesla gear reduction as a gear?
Not really. Unless you have one motor per wheel (i.e. hub motors) you need some gearing to "steer" the power to the wheels via a differential or other device. Such devices have inherent ratios, and they also have gears. But in most cases "gears" refer to selectable ratios that allow a car to achieve a wide range of speeds with a limited RPM range prime mover.

It's like clipless pedals or freezer burn - the terms themselves aren't technically correct but everyone knows what you are talking about when you use them.

the reason i count it is, i am continually surprised how many moving parts are in a tesla.
hundreds, not 20 as somebody said.(i think Musk)
less parts means less repairs. less things to make noise.
so everytime i see one, it is like seeing a mosquito! :lol:
drat! another one!
i just read there are 50 motors in a model S. :shock:
plenty to keep a mechanic busy as the car ages.
But don't get me wrong, i'd love to pick up an S in 10 years for ~$800 and strip out all the luxury items, which probably won't be working anymore, hence the low price.
WATER PUMP S: $439 there are 2. the other one is only $240
and for my corvette NEW WP $32
Now price the other 48 motors for the S :roll: about $14,400, not including the drive motor.

The big difference between your Vette and the Tesla, is aside from the Tesla kicking its ass on the street like it's a toy, a species that continues to use Vettes is choosing to conclude a functional life support system for yourself and your kids etc.

any modern car can beat a 50 year old corvette :roll:
but no car can touch my -9 e-scooter :p it has a 23" wheelbase and can make a u-turn on a 2' sidewalk. try that with any car :lol:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=57921

Best to refer to the Tesla gear train as its "Transmission",.. because that is what it is a single speed transmission ...transfering the power from the motor to the drive wheels.
Some traditional cars have multi speed and/or auto transmissions

Lebowski said:
Punx0r said:
It had been explained to me before as energizing the field coils out of time in order to create a magnetic field that would partially oppose the magnets and so effectively reduce their strength and raise Kv.

The explanation above does not explain why it also works with external inductors (that do not reduce the magnets field, as they are outside the motor)

I know this is the popular believe but basically it is wrong. A better explanation would be that the motor inductors are used to build a boost (dcdc) converter, to obtain a higher effective voltage to drive the motor.

Both good points :)

Back