KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Jayls5 said:
kiwiev said:
If I connected up 49 s 1 p and used a solar controller i can get and program to charge to say 170 volts could I directly plug that into the Tesla pack and dump 20 kwh into it? I can find any sort of charge controller for that on the web.

Cheers Kiwi

As long as you're using a charge controller to limit the amps being fed between the two packs, I wouldn't see a problem with it. It would be the worst idea ever if you didn't use a charge controller though, because the only thing that would dictate the charge rate would be the voltage differential and the resistance between the two packs. It would surely exceed the continuous charge rate if you had a dead pack on one side and a full on the other.

Do you know of a charge controller 50 ampswould be nice.

Cheers Kiwi

Cowardlyduck said:
Animalector said:
I don't get how this would work..? how are you going to get up to full pack voltage for charging? Inverter?

Andy
That's how I do it on a smaller scale for my recumbent. I step 12V up to 58V open. Yeah there are some losses, but it's still worth it. :)

Cheers

Is there a buck converter that will go to 162 volts?

Cheers Kiwi

Jayls5 said:
kiwiev said:
That's a great idea, my pack only sags to 146 volts in the summer.

We don't get many Tesla wrecks down in Australia yet the odd one or too but we have our names down, I could turn my Winston pack into a fast charger do you know if one more cell would be enough?

Thanks Kiwi

I'm not sure what you mean by "one more cell" being enough. For a fast charger? Of what?

By the way, the rear cover looks great. It's nice to be able to tell if mods like that make a difference just by monitoring cruising power consumption.

So did a test today with the new ute lid. 40km round trip into town which is a 1000ft drop 15km at 100kph then around town and trip up hill home.
The ute seems to sit on 100kph better amps are down, I save 5% compared to yesterday.

Cheers Kiwi

Awesome stuff mate. I found similar result after putting the wind deflecting solar panel on the front of my recumbent. Aero makes a huge difference to EVs.

As for the charge controller/converter for a 162V battery...I see what you mean....I can't find anything with decent power that will do that high a voltage.
That really sucks as that's the only thing preventing you from being able to do it really.
The other horribly inefficient option is to use a regular MPPT to 240V AC, then run a regular charger off that. Maybe with a small 12V battery before the MPPT it would even out any power dips.
At least it would work :p

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
Awesome stuff mate. I found similar result after putting the wind deflecting solar panel on the front of my recumbent. Aero makes a huge difference to EVs.

As for the charge controller/converter for a 162V battery...I see what you mean....I can't find anything with decent power that will do that high a voltage.
That really sucks as that's the only thing preventing you from being able to do it really.
The other horribly inefficient option is to use a regular MPPT to 240V AC, then run a regular charger off that. Maybe with a small 12V battery before the MPPT it would even out any power dips.
At least it would work :p

Cheers

Thanks mate and that would be the KISS principal out the window I dont know of a solar controller that would go that high either and use 6 x 24 volt panels, it would get close or even 7 panels. Just awkward to mount that many.

Thanks Kiwi

Well finally got front vented rotors and disc pads in the mail, spent a morning pulling apart and then painting heat proof yellow for a bit of hoon.

Also lowered the front another inch.

Cheers Kiwi

Attachments

• IMG_3844.JPG
    IMG_3844.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 2,159
  • IMG_3846.JPG
    IMG_3846.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 2,159
Also really happy with the deck lid. Only thing left is to fabricate a new gearbox mount if I do it at the rear I am worried it will still twist? Or do I try and mount to the bell housing and to the chassis rails (worried the engineer will not like).

Then a couple of quick release plugs for tail lights and 240 volt charger lead, and I can take the tub off which I think would be 200kg plus.

Cheers Kiwi

Attachments

• IMG_3847.JPG
    IMG_3847.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 2,159
  • IMG_3848.JPG
    IMG_3848.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 2,159
Kokam have a reputation for producing high quality, high performance cells.
At 5/10C discharge, those are not the most powerful cells they make, but it depends on what you need from your pack.
Are they new , ? Or "salvaged" ?
At $0.5 /Whr they are priced similar to the 20Ahr A123 pouches.
I bought some 57ah kokam cells plan to make 96v pack for8kw e motorcycle
what do you think ?

Back