railroad tracks then ER

Well..

Arm gets better every day.
I can now let it hang free and it doesn't scream in pain.
I can lay on my side to some degree
I can shift gears in the car (with help from the other arm)
Typing - maybe an hour a day

Pissed that I am going to have to learn to shoot all over again left handed... :evil: I put tens of thousands down range teaching the muscles of my right arm. Meh... I am good for 3 shots on target no matter what... but I dont see myself shooting a few boxes a day anymore. Not with a small light weight gun. Maybe with some silly hand cannon.

Off the meds but mot feeling to happy about it. I go a day - 2 Advil in the morning, 2 at night... next day prescription medication sounds REAL GOOD... and is real good... both for the physical pain and the mental. I totally see how people get caught in the loop of pulling their 8 or 10 at work then using something like that at night. Really takes the edge of..

As for Insurance - eh... still dont have any.
I need to get looked at by an actual for-profit doctor. Working on that...

Lessons learned?
Eh... make sure you have a partner if you have to drive 800 miles while staying sharp with no pain meds. That helps a lot.
Take a tumbling class
Wear gloves with plastic slide pads, kneed pads, elbow pads, and of course a full suit and helmet. Just Slide it out when you can.

Those forking electric skate boards are going to RUIN people lol. I have already proven that it is SUPER EASY to get comfortable at 20mph... 25mph...
Consequences of crashing a skateboard at those speeds is harsh.
Different than a bike... With a bike you know you are hosed and you have little choice as to how you go down. You go down with the bike.

On a skate... there are these fleeting moments of trying to "run it out"
Eh... fall-training required.

-methods

Your a better man than I! I recently (less than 6 months ago!) had rotator cuff surgery for a complete tear of all four heads. In case you don't know there are only 4 heads so my left arm was left unable to move my arm forward, backwards up or down....luckily it hung down so gravity helped a brother out. It happened to be a work Comp case that ended well.

Point is since I had my right repaired in 2010 (3 full tears and a partial on that one, go big or go home I always say!) and took way to many pills. They gave me a total of 200 Percocet and 200 OxyContin that I was popping like Skittles. Stopped my insides up for about two weeks......do you know how much food I eat in two weeks? I'm 6' 4" tall and Back then I was 235 body building pounds at around 6 to 8% body fat (depending what I ate that week.) so I ate a lot. Figure 3500 calories a day times 14 days......anyway wife got me a laxitive and the next 2 days was well, we will just call it a cleansing phase!

Pain was still so great but I managed the pain pills to keep from stopping me up with more drugs.....8 months of 3 day a week therapy and I'm 85% back then when I was released. Got up to around 95% on my own about another 6 months later of some really hard work. Think my doctor was a looser honestly.

So this last go around I decide no pills for me, I'm going as close to pill free as possible. So I'm back to work in 2 weeks just dying....can't sleep, can't move my arm, feeling sick, irritable (ask my wife and kids!) couldn't even watch TV or surf the net without all of the above. Doc said take the f-ing pills or you will never get better. So this time I was very smart about it but still took the pills. Took the pills to manage the pain, my job and pretty much my life. Long story longer.....I was released almost 3 weeks ago and with 95% of my arm back. Don't get me wrong....still hurts and I still take a pill now and then (went to "Tramadol" which is a non-narcotic pain releaver and of course I've eaten more ibuprofen in the last 5 months than most medium sized cities go through.....) when I really need it. I just moved for 5 days straight sun up to sun down and my arms, both of them are killing me as I write.....

Hang in there and as I always told my kids, my wife, my employees (carpenters!) and pretty much everyone else, "It will quit hurting when the pain goes away!" :D

Tom

The ph drugs (which are a cheap flawed imitations of nature) often seem to be a hindrance for the body doing it's repairs. Natural as well for that matter. But they're not 'supposed' to be imo- I think many of us (societally US and english speaking for sure) come at them with an incorrect/improper and ultimately weak mindset.

And pain is really only in the mind too, I guess. All things kinda are. I'm glad you're kickin the injury quickly Methods- Don't worry too much what those frankenstein butchers will or would say. Educate self from as many sources possible and choose own route for any recovery, and to thrive.

So I have quite a collection of shoulder problems, rotor cuff injury as a teenager, frozen shoulder syndrome, etc., I've continued to use pick axes, chainsaws, etc.

I suggest a rolfer could do you much good. http://www.rolf.org

Arm is working again.
Went to work for a few hours.
Sore but has strength.
Did one push-up today... (On accident)

400mg ibuprofen in the AM and PM.
Nothing else.

Sleeping is hell... But what's new.
Been drinking that disgusting organic apple cider vinegar to deal with my stress symptoms. I need more data to pass judgement. Hard to separate out the chemical effects from the mental. For me... Just *thinking* I am going to feel better can relieve gnarly physical symptoms.

-methods

On that note....

I am a firm believer that we *decide* to be strong or sickly.
Some of us may not know how to make the decisions... But we have the power.

I decided my shoulder was going to heal quickly.
I could just have easily decided to still be wearing a sling and licking my wound.

-methods

Going on the second week of no meds including Advil.
Nothing but Coffee :?

If I take a second injury or repeat injury on this one... I am going to need the Ibuprofen to work then.
Dont need it to work now.

I am fit for duty... tho it hurts like a bastard.
Feels like the bones are all out of place.

I have a short temper and forget often why I am uncomfortable.
Pain translates into stress that I feel in my stomach.

Morning is worst.
Long walks exacerbate the arm... but lack of exercise makes the stress level I maintain unmanageable... so we have started putting on the wet suits again.

Spent my whole life painting myself into corners then figuring out how to jump.
Just another exercise... like everything else.
Do it the hard way when you dont have to... so that when you need the skills... they are honed.

I only win.

-methods

I'm going to give you a pass because you just smashed your shoulder and are loaded with painkillers, but you really should write in complete sentences. I'm sure you're a smart guy, but It's very difficult to follow your train of thought without proper grammar.

As far as pain killers, some people have self control issues and others don't. People should exercise more personal responsibility in my opinion. There is plenty wrong with drug companies, but they are providing a necessary product. It's not their fault it's difficult to get addiction treatment in the US. Over regulation and restricting access to important medication because some people can't control themselves, is not my idea of a free society. Perhaps a DNA test can be developed which can predict if you are likely to become addicted to narcotics. Similar genetic markers exist to predict nicotine addiction.

Also, I'm surprised electric skateboards weren't invented by emergency room doctors. Four tiny hard wheels and exactly zero places to hold on to. Good for business. That said, if outdoor activities had to be safe nobody would be surfing or skydiving either.

Okay, you're over a month in. My frozen shoulder was already ramping up at that time. It was noticable to me because I'd never taken painkillers, you might not recognize the obvious sign that things are getting worse.

The simple fact was that for maybe 2 1/2 weeks my shoulder was getting better, then suddenly it started getting worse, but differently than before. There was the theory that I'd developed some swelling under the ribs on that side and that irritated the nerve that goes along the ribs and into the arm. The reaction is that your body start "Ignoring." So my arm stopped responding to commands. It just hung there. As stiff as it felt I could lift it with the other hand just fine, that hurt less than the unsuccessful efforts to move it myself. This started not long after I registered for this board. Oh yeah, typing was real difficult.

I'm told I had an easy time of it, but it was hell. A guy from my gym was in a band until he hurt his shoulder, then he hadn't been able to play for 5 years last I'd talked to him. My arm has gotten close to normal though it's still weak. I think of Winston Churchill having made his escape from the Boer POW camp while still battling what's considered to possibly be a case of Frozen Shoulder, he still made it over the wall. You just learn to get by with it.

Dauntless said:
I'm told I had an easy time of it, but it was hell. A guy from my gym was in a band until he hurt his shoulder, then he hadn't been able to play for 5 years last I'd talked to him.

Sounds about right, I hurt my shoulder on a weight machine at the gym and couldn't lift my dominate arm over my shoulder for months. That was about 5 years ago, and it still feels weak. More or less like a tendon will snap if I try lifting or pushing something away laterally. I'm 40 pounds lighter than I was at the time of the injury, but it's too hard to get back in the gym with a weak shoulder. Shoulder injuries tend to stick around.

All these stories from you guys are making me fell better.
Ive got a history of dislocating my shoulders.. In the early 90s i was windsurfing in the north sea mid winter,went for a silly long run out about 1.5 / 2nm in 28knts of wind, went for a gybe and dislocated my good left shoulder :cry: .
So i thought i better get this back in or im forked here [ i can get the right back in, its excruciating but doable but my left is normally a hospital job] so after 5mins of trying i gave up and started swimming for my rapidly diapering gear with my bad right arm.......i never will forget the feeling of if i dont catch my gear im dead and if i pop this arm now same.
After i reached my gear it took about an hour for a mate to find me and sail back in and raise the alarm, RNLI picked me up an hour after , they said i had Blue lipps lucky i had a 5mm suit.
methods said:
Those forking electric skate boards are going to RUIN people lol.
-methods
Bought a evolve 3kw on my 5 th ride i got what i can only describe as a remote dropout [ im not the only one apparently ].. sudden total loss of power i then over compensated on the trigger and then bang full power, flicked me off back wards at around 30 kph .
Hate coming off backwards as its hard to time your impact... bailing forward you can at least brace or time a roll , result was crutches for 4 weeks, not the smartest thing ive ever had, sold it soon after as i think we can risk injury on better things.
Like ebikes ect :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Glad to hear you're working through the recovery. Aleve (Naproxen Sodium) seems to be my favored over-the-counter drug for bang-ups.

I got a dose of some kind of opioid back in 1980 after the doctor violently pulled gauze out of my sinuses. I had already mastered the pain in the 1/2 hour it took the nurse to show up with the drugs, but she talked me into it even though I initially said no. I forgot about the drugs and then wondered why I felt like I was on a cloud. The high was pleasant, but not worth the roller coaster coming down. I wouldn't do it again for short term pain, but I'm thankful for the lesson about opioids.

Read the book 'Psycho-Cybernetics' by Maxwell Maltz. Your subconscious will help you achieve whatever you keep in your mind's eye (expectations).

Back