Speedict Ebike - Anybody seen/tried this?

I am looking for a GOOD BMS.

I have read 5 pages in from the front and 5 pages in from the back and a few in the middle (pgs. 28-40) to see what regular ES user opinions are with 1.5k posts or more. Found a few and they are megacycle, cwah, kingfish and thebeastie. NeilP said he might get one, nothing after that. I did not realize this is a 5 year old product, but I am sure there are lots of great features and the bugs are worked out of it now. I just dont know if I should buy this or not. So many posters with so low post counts and pages and pages and pages of it.

I guess my post count is well below your threshold, but if you're still reading...

Most of this thread is about the Speedict Mercury and similar products, which are not BMSs. The BMS product is the Neptune, which has its own thread that branched off from this a while ago. It's only 2 pages.

Hey Danny (by speedict ),

its good to see you here following & reading your customers questions and requests!

please could you tell us, whether (and when) there will be another firmware-upgrade for the Speedict-Mercury device?

The last one was published in November 2014; I think it would be time for the next update.

Or did you cease to develop the whole Mercury-Line???

"let-it-flash"

pedalritter

ecologymagnet said:
Is it possible to fix a Speedict out of warranty?
What would it cost?

ift it isnt fixed already, I am having an unused speedict available

I recently bought 3 mercury's. My first impressions is that it's unreliable and inaccurate. The app crashes regularly. I can't even save the settings for what I want displayed on the home screen. I pressed the calibrate button on the app when playing around with it only to find that has now essentially bricked my device And made it even more worthless. Wishing I just bought a CA :-(

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Welcome to the club of happy users.
You had better read this topic before buying...
Shame on speedict that they still haven't made their products reliable, still not fixed the buggy app...

Would any of you that still have/know a place to get the calibration software for the original speedict ? The voltage has an unneglectable offset...

we have added one customisable cell high and low option for balance charge protection in response to customer's suggestion that according to the battery research article in order to prolong lithium battery life it should not let battery pack fully charged :)

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

see attached screen captures :

1. user can select Battery Type "Custom" and select 4.10V as highest cell voltage.
2. battery pack cell delta 160mV with highest cell 4.08V before balance charging.
3. end result its cell highest cell voltage is 4.10V with cell delta 30mV.

Attachments

• device option custom.png
    device option custom.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 3,460
  • charge to 410 result.png
    charge to 410 result.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 3,460
Has anybody had any success with the Neptune 15? My experience has been poor. I see that Speedict has removed the forum from their site, not that there was much activity.

Very dissatisfied with Mars. Won't be getting Neptune, limiting at 15 cells.

Holly cow! I can't read through 53 or so pages of comments here now - I haven't a week to spend! :D ... In fact, I've spent a whole day or more without much success at finding what I'm looking for...

I have two ebikes wtih the Tongsheng TSDZ2 (a torque-sensing mid-drive), both "48V", one claims to be 15A and the other 18A. The trouble is, the 15A seems to out perform the other one, though the bikes themselves should otherwise have nearly identical performance. Then, someone on the main TSDZ2 thread showed some images of some graphs of an application in French that shows graphs and such that mapped amps, voltage, distance, altitude, and a whole host of things, one of which was CADENCE! And this is a big one since the TSDZ2 is a torque-measuring assistance system that also has a cadence cut-out RPM which we riders suspect is related to motor RPM (as opposed to a speed limit setting). So, I thought that at a minimum I'd like to have the basic V, A, speed and cadence measurements to compare the one to the other. Plus, I think it's about time I have a good "ebike computer." So, I asked them about a version in English without success. So, I went looking.

My FIRST choice was the Cycle Analyst, but even at the V3 level, it doesn't have cadence, though I well respect that everybody loves theirs. NOR, by the way, do I want or need any type of control of the system - I'm just looking for data collection... Trying to add cadence data to a CA unit is a fools errand - it has to be built into the data collection; I know from past experience with real-time monitoring of internal combustion engines that trying to "glue" together disparate data streams successfully will be doomed to failure and prove to be a waste of time. So... I need a cadence counter in the mix.

Eventually, I found the Speedict products, but have had a hard time getting good data. Their google-drive links aren't working for me for whatever reason. And, as I said, I don't want or need anything to try and control my system for me! AND, I don't want to have the left over, disused crap on my bike, either. ... Some features I don't use are one thing, but the whole host of things I read about with the Neptune (and CA v3) are just not what I'm looking for at all.

Soooooo... I looked at Speedict's products and I'm wondering; what about this Mars product from Speedict? Hmmm...

Data available about this product is remarkably hard to find, and it's entirely unclear if it will even do what I want. I get it that it costs 75 Euro - beyond that, it's a mystery! But I do like the list of claimed features someone wrote up (here on ES)...

If not the Mars product, then what?

Oh, BTW, my two ebike's build pages:

My Marin San Rafael frame-up build:

file.php

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=89956

My old Legran, a Raleigh Replica:

file.php

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=88943

Thanks.

I've used the Speedict Mercury on many bikes to get data about speed, power, current, voltage, etc. Those functions always worked perfectly, though in the beginning there were some software activation issues IIRC. The other functions, like speed limiting and throttle adjustment were not that good, but that might have been because I didn't use the special throttle adaptor cable. Here's a sample of my data that shows the current control from a KT controller and you can see the power being cut when I reach 15 mph. I didn't have the cadence sensor fitted because that's not useful with a hub-motor:

speedict climb_zpswmvpj536.JPG

d8veh said:
I've used the Speedict Mercury on many bikes to get data about speed, power, current, voltage, etc. Those functions always worked perfectly, though in the beginning there were some software activation issues IIRC. The other functions, like speed limiting and throttle adjustment were not that good, but that might have been because I didn't use the special throttle adaptor cable. Here's a sample of my data that shows the current control from a KT controller and you can see the power being cut when I reach 15 mph. I didn't have the cadence sensor fitted because that's not useful with a hub-motor:

Thanks, d8veh,

Your comment is somewhat encouraging, though the remarks of others in this thread have given me serious pause. Part of my interest is that it appears to be the only real choice other than a Cycle Analyst 3, and to get all the features I'd like, given where the Euro may be on any given day, the CA3 appears to be about three times the price for fewer features (that I need - and a huge host of features I'm not interested in).

I've now been having a rather slow-paced email exchange with Danny at Speedict, asking about the PAS sensor. He already sent me the Mars user guide - and it's over 5 years old! But then, it was apparently released in November, 2013 with version 1.0.6 and it's only at version 1.0.11 now. I guess it hasn't changed much!

BTW, you talk about a "cadence sensor" - I presume that's what they call a "PAS sensor"? ... They list NO information about it. If you have any information - like what you paid, presuming you bought it, or anything else, really - that would be very helpful; their web site is a desert! It's amazing they can make any sales off of it!

Thanks again, RTIII

That's one thing I can say good about Speedict, they responded to each and every one of my e-mails. They did have forums on their site, but I literally had the only posts there. The forums magically disappeared (I assume) once people started having issues with the Neptune 15.

Epyon said:
That's one thing I can say good about Speedict, they responded to each and every one of my e-mails. They did have forums on their site, but I literally had the only posts there. The forums magically disappeared (I assume) once people started having issues with the Neptune 15.

I agree; it was nice to get a reply from Danny for every post. Once per day is a little slow turn around, though! :lol:

I also agree on your reasoning about why their forums disappeared, and it's sad. But then, they probably put all their resources into the Neptune project only to see it fall on its face. Ouch. That's gotta hurt.

Just a wild assed guess on my part: their problems are based fundamentally on their dependency of a functional blue-tooth radio link. In my view they should have used the now standardized across all cell phones (in the USA) use of the Micro-USB as a hard-wired connection and use blue-tooth as a fall-back / backup plan. Frankly, I've never had the blue-tooth be reliable at anything on any phone and I've never had issues with any type USB connection except a rare but occasional bad cable. (And a rider could carry a backup for that if necessary.) Heck, they could partner with some of these cheap but pretty damned good for the money cell phone mounts to handle-bars and carry a complete solution for one simple price - just pick your handle bar diameter and phone size and you're done!

No doubt, only using blue-tooth saved them money and makes it seem all better - keep it in your shirt pocket if you want! But, as often happens, being cheap can cost you big! :lol:

Meanwhile, got an email today from Justin suggesting I just get a CA3 and gut my system and use the CA3 as the motor controller. Other than price and a bit of work, that has SOME merit, but I'd want the GPS data which I CAN get with the Mars unit easily, but with their solution costs me the purchase of the GPS logger priced at ... Um... $150, I think. A bit much! ... If Grin wants people to go that way, they should offer a cell phone app that lets people use their phone to get the GPS data AND serve as the logging system, AND they'd get the benefit of live mapping which can bring interesting features, such as showing you how much range you have with what's left in your battery pack. However, I got the idea from him in his email to me today that Grin is a bit over-loaded with ambitious new projects and doesn't want any more right now.

I was seriously thinking of a Neptune 15 for my new pack, mostly for the adjustable BMS functions.

What are the issues you've seen? Normally I research a lot before I go for a product, but it's hard to find real user testimonials about the Neptune 15

drebikes said:
I was seriously thinking of a Neptune 15 for my new pack, mostly for the adjustable BMS functions.

What are the issues you've seen? Normally I research a lot before I go for a product, but it's hard to find real user testimonials about the Neptune 15

Agreed, there's not much out there about it. But there are a few comments here on Endless Sphere about it. You can do a nested search here, you know - sub-searching, I mean, where you search the previous search results, and it can help a lot to home in on what you're looking for. But "Neptune" is probably not used very much on this site except for that product! :wink:

Back