jonescg's E-max 110s lithium conversion

did you ever get chance to get that DVT file off your scooter controller?

Nah, my friend has the laptop with the software and dongle-cord thingy. I might try and get him to email the file to me if possible.

I've PM'd you the dcf file. Hopefully you can upload the settings!

Cheers,
Chris

file received thanks Chris. Will be a while before I get any result with this but I have a plan.

Hi Daryl,
Might be easier to start your own thread; there's a few E-max 110S threads here now.

10,000 km and going strong. GBS LiFePO4 is pretty solid stuff for longevity.

20170905_195623.jpg

Cool rig, I've been looking at getting an electric scooter to replace the second car.
No idea about makes and models, I'll need to do a bit of research.

Hello Rube
I bought an EMax recently with help from Chris.
I'm in Brisbane and I am thinking of selling it.
It has no batteries and I just don't think I have the time to get it all going.
You are welcome to come and have a look if you are interested.

So after 11,000 km the scooter suffered a failure.

My wife took the bike to work one morning and after about 1 km it suddenly felt very heavy and unresponsive to steer. She nursed it home and took the car. I had a look at it, suspecting a flat tyre but to my horror, the lower steering head bearing race was slopping around :shock:

20171102_080327.jpg

So it appears that the headstock was machined to accommodate the bearing race, but with about 2 mm of metal to hold it in place! I tried tightening it but it simply refused to stay put. After every ride up the road it would kick out, increasing the trail to the point where it was completely unresponsive to input. So I put a jack under the bike, lifted the front wheel up and gave the race a whack with a hammer. It seemed to be centrally located so the next step was to weld it up. I'm sure I accidentally welded the bearing race to the headstock, but whatever, I don't want it coming off again.

Repair headstock.jpg

Stick welding FTW.

Now it feels much better, but still less responsive than it used to be. I suspect it will just take some getting used to. If it still drives me nuts I can always pull the forks through the clamps and shorten the trail that way. Back on the road at least. Batteries are doing just fine.

:shock: wtf... will be a bit more wary when getting mine to go quicker now.

Yeah, if you guys don't mind checking, I'd love to see a photo of what it looks like when its not broken.
I'm trying to work out if it was just weak to begin with, or if it was just tacked in place with a couple of lousy welds...

Either way, it's certainly something you should keep an eye on. I suspect it was just poor design, and they never suspected that 90 kg fatties like me would ride it flat out everywhere I go, for 11,000+ km

I don't think you should be riding it like that Chris.
Do you reckon yours just had a cup inserted in the frame tube?
The cup and or the frame tube must be really flogged out if it moves enough to alter the fork angle.

Yikes!
It's worse than flogged out, it broke off!
The welds will hold it in place for now. But yeah it sure seems like this bike won't get the 30,000 km I was hoping for.

Hi Chris,
I have a question regarding the emax.
The older emax scooters are now here inexpensive, like from +600 Euro, so a build with 18650 cells are interesting.
How many place is into the emax for a new battery? Do you think a fast version with 72V is possible and make sense?
BR
ecross

Here is a sketchup8 (free version got to oldversion.com) file to help visualise what you can do with the older emax frame. I have one on ebay now if you want to bid on it. it is only at £82 so far.

View attachment 1

View attachment emaxBatteryMockups.zip

ignore the batteries on racks that was my poor mans power wall.

In my honest opinion, find 60 Ah of the most garden variety LiFePO4 and use that. Any more than 3 kWh is a waste - the scooter is not much fun to ride long distances anyway. I spent about $1600 on a new battery for my scooter, so that's good value. I can't begin to thing of how sore my bum would be after more than 65 km of riding...

as luck would have it I bought 60ah calb blue cells and put them in my scooter I bought 26s from Latvia and kept the parcel case. I would have to look into how much they would be to post to you. looking for about £600 for the lot. currently 16s are in my emax 90s as I never got round to changing out the controller so I could use the remaining 10. Let me know if you want to do a deal.

reason for selling is that I now have two babies and don't get time to ride the scooter.

you can see the ones in the sketchup file I am talking about. And how the 16s fit in the bottom of the scooter. The extra 10 should fit in the near the steering column

Back