Electric Surf Board

I won a bid on Ebay for this motor yesterday evening, thought I would not win it. But it is a $300 motor and it is made to take stress for 3d flying in a 700/800 helicopter, Figure that this could be a fit for the water but I got it for $132. Now, I'm realizing it is a bit smaller than my previous motor that I have on the board right now that is from a GreenWorks 40v digi-pro chainsaw. Ha Ha Ha, yes I am using a brushless chainsaw motor. Another thing, I blew $7000 on things that I thought could be fitted for the jet board build which I did not know anything about. I am around 190lbs so this might blow bubbles in the water ha ha ha! How long did it take you to get to the final stage? I will try to post pics on this forum once I learn how to.

I also spend a whole lot of money to build an electric outboard that can get a boat in plane. Than i spend a lot for the electric surfboard. The final stage would have been a wider board with flat bottom, almost no rocker line. They dont exist i think so you need to have it custom build. Or maybe a wide formula surfboard

Yesterday the Kite Surfers were out.... one was (whats the name? Hydrofoil?) hovering a few feet over the water.

Years of single ski on the water, snow boarding on ice, slush, and powder, long boarding on rough roads... tells me that the ultimate design will not have the board right on the water. Board will float over the chop and wake. Minimize resistance in the water.. float over the disturbance.

Some of the gnarliest big wave surfers are starting to ride these boards... even saw an info-tisement for a powered board that hovers. Looks like it actually was working.

Chop is gnarly
Glassy water is hard to find
Over 20mph on chop is hell (for me)... I can water ski on chop... but it is about 10% as fun as water skiing on glass.

Same with big wave surfing... I have dropped in on >15' waves in the harshest chop and smoothest glass. The days on glass were pure magic... but there are like 3 a year. The chop days were uncrowded, happen often, and man... if I could have been 2-3 feet off the surface... it would have been amazing.

I bodyboard... so when I reach terminal velocity on a big wave the spray and drag are so gnarly that I have to run blind for seconds at a time. No vision, no air, just bombing it on memory and feel.

Glad you guys are going for it.
Go big.

-methods

This week new vids:
[youtube]nCT0tT1T5_o[/youtube]
[youtube]e9Nn22CmIL8[/youtube]
The Chinese board looks to have some power!

Is that the chinese one for 3000 $ from Alibaba? I thought it has 2 jetdrives....?

Frizzo said:
Is that the chinese one for 3000 $ from Alibaba? I thought it has 2 jetdrives....?

No, this one is a new company in China. I think they are serious, I insulted them saying it is fake and they got mad and they have proven themselves that they are the real deal. Still, if it's made in China by Chinese it won't last but if it was an American or European engineer working with them then its worth to buy. :mrgreen: Save yourself from all the hassel.

What about the lehner 3080? Its a bit cheaper then the 7040 and gets 30 kkW maximum out.
I was thinking to purchase a 3080/10 and mount it in star configuration, then I get 303 kV what whit a 14s batterypack would be ruffly 15k rpm.
What do you think about that motor?

Cheers

I live in Shenzhen and can contact him
his board looks like it has some serious power.
@ropower86 I saw your post about using a gasoline engine :D

That would be nice to get an update on how far along the Chinese company is and what the quality is like.
Here's another interesting vid from the crazy jet surf nation guy visiting the Onean factory:
[youtube]d6bQZIMcKiQ[/youtube]

bbq870 said:
I live in Shenzhen and can contact him
his board looks like it has some serious power.
@ropower86 I saw your post about using a gasoline engine :D

Yeah, I gave it up because I live in an apartment now so gas is a big no no. Also, there is a lot of hassle involved with small gas engines Unless you invest in a really good carb. 8)

ropower86 said:
Yeah, I gave it up because I live in an apartment now so gas is a big no no. Also, there is a lot of hassle involved with small gas engines Unless you invest in a really good carb. 8)

Propane/LP gas? Both the above problems solved. And less polluting emissions.

Propane gas is a good idea!!
I saw a conversion of a small motorbike with a "gas-bottle". It's not impossible.
From cars I know the combustion is hotter and puts stress on the engine.
but that could be solved, I guess.

Chalo said:
ropower86 said:

Propane/LP gas? Both the above problems solved. And less polluting emissions.

Running on propane will not provide the engine ultimate power. Just like putting a regular gas in a BMW which it is made for premium gas. There will be HP loss significantly.

Bazaki said:
Hey Guys,

No secrets here anymore.

Months I have thought to set up my own company with an electric jet surf, so I could not really share my details.
But I'm doing other things lately and the jetsurf is just standing here. So I want to share all details now.

I found out the exact details of the Lampuga jetsurf.

Lehner motor 7040/6 about 1000 euro
MHZ jetdrive 64mm about 650 euro
Mgm compro ESC ( 25063 ) I think it was their industrial ESC not the hobby esc. about 1000 euro
14s lipo

I bought the same motor and jet drive, very expensive. and bought the cheap flier waterproof 420a esc.
First I bought the swordfish 300a + but gave only 50% throttle, never worked well.

Here is the old video:

[youtube]berdYSLwSRA[/youtube]

The board is a surfboard with too much rocker and the board is too small. Also I had some water leaking in.

Now I made a plexi glass box, so I can test it at home under water and everything is 100% waterproof, even the lid that is on top. Works perfectly dry.
Watercooling is running good, and I use 14s lipo, the motor runs 320rpm kv unloaded and with load 280 rpm kv. So that is about 15.000 rpm for the jet.

It is not as with an ebike, with this you need 11kw continiously, so the efficienty needs to be as high as possible, everything needs to match perfectly.

At 55kv it takes about 200A and everything stays pretty cold, but somehow I burned 2x a Flier 420A esc. I'm also not sure why the esc broke, it was running fine under load, cut off throttle and it didn't work. Now I wanted to invest in the mgm compro but cost about 1000 euro.

I also found a company that can make me custom board, so the next step is a board about 80cm width and almost flat, no rocker line.

[youtube]DAblu6x7i80[/youtube]

This box can fit inside and out a custom board, so easy to install and no leaking. So you don't have to work inside a board or make the board waterproof.

Maybe I will sell this whole set up if anyone is interessted.

Hey, I just realized something, Your Lehner motor 7040/6 has more demand than other brushless motors. Lehner motor 7040/6 was designed to run with a higher quality ESC like the 400a MGM (industrial version). MGM has better quality mosfets and few capacitor with 1000uf rating while Flier capacitor has 200uf rating a significant difference. So conclusion you did not a have the matching ESC for the Lehner motor 7040/6. That motor is designed way different than the rest, yet to only run on MGM ESC.

Hmmm that is interessting. I now have the 500A flier controller. Of is very very big and Heavy. I was hoping that this 500a controller can do it better.

Bazaki said:
Hmmm that is interessting. I now have the 500A flier controller. Of is very very big and Heavy. I was hoping that this 500a controller can do it better.

Is the casing black or white? The black casing is the newer improved version with better MOSFETs and CPU. Something to look out for. Flier is stepping their game up and it seems like they may figure it out after all. By the way, I changed my motor to a bigger outrunner that produces 5,3kw. Just need to find a way to make a cooling block and install it. Where can I find that magnetic safety switch?

ropower86 said:
Bazaki said:

By the way, what is the motor wire gauge?

Check this out:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=84783

Good Morning to everyone,

I'm following this topic quiet long time and considering to make my own e-jetsurf. The place i live has a huge lake but very shallow and that's why would be ideal a jet system for the board. Gas is prohibited(environmental reasons) so electric the only option. As i was reading the posts i have realized the biggest issue is to find the right size brushless motor. At MHZ watercraft website they have this 64mm jet, but require 12KW of power in order to thrust 400N which approx. 40kmh on water with board. They also have a Scorpion motor with 23KW output, but the battery to operate at a reasonable 20-30 minutes runtime is cost a fortune. So i was thinking why we couldn't just use a smaller brushless with half of the power required but double rpm and just gear it down to half with metal helical gears. For example the Skyrc Proteus X524 is a 5300W brushless with 30K rpm and if geared down to 2:1 will be 15K but double the tourqe so should be enough to power the board and than not needed a huge battery pack and an expensive ESC.

So would love to hear you guys what are your opinions about it.

attila0216 said:
Good Morning to everyone,

I'm following this topic quiet long time and considering to make my own e-jetsurf. The place i live has a huge lake but very shallow and that's why would be ideal a jet system for the board. Gas is prohibited(environmental reasons) so electric the only option. As i was reading the posts i have realized the biggest issue is to find the right size brushless motor. At MHZ watercraft website they have this 64mm jet, but require 12KW of power in order to thrust 400N which approx. 40kmh on water with board. They also have a Scorpion motor with 23KW output, but the battery to operate at a reasonable 20-30 minutes runtime is cost a fortune. So i was thinking why we couldn't just use a smaller brushless with half of the power required but double rpm and just gear it down to half with metal helical gears. For example the Skyrc Proteus X524 is a 5300W brushless with 30K rpm and if geared down to 2:1 will be 15K but double the tourqe so should be enough to power the board and than not needed a huge battery pack and an expensive ESC.

So would love to hear you guys what are your opinions about it.

That is funny that is what I was planning to do over this past weekend. I was looking at this motor for 4 months now and a little hesitant on buying it. Yes the MHZ propulsion jet units have lower pitch which demands more RPM and power. That's stupid! Because it will create more heat than can cause MOSFETS in the ESC to burn up, over heated brushless motor if water cooling not set correctly and needing more expensive battery, everything will add up to around $3000 to build or more problems.

But for what??? :?

Conclsion: I think it is a good idea, go for it.

Hey guys, maybe you can help me. Iam building my own Jetsurf stuff but the main question I have is how to control the controller... the RCs arent waterproof and a cable solution isnt available on the market or? I was thinking of the Controller from an electric scooter, but how to connect it with an rc controller? Thanks for any answers.. have a nice day

Hi. Such an amazing thread, I just can't stop reading it...

There is something I do not understand though, can you please enlighten my tiny brain... That must be a basic mechanics principle I do not understand. Why is everyone using high RPM plus an expensive gearbox when one could find 50kv 10S 6000w engines for about the same price ? Do high RPM + gearbox give better torque than slow RPM without gearbox ?
http://alienpowersystem.com/shop/brushless-motors/c80100-sensored-outrunner-brushless-motor-50kv-6000w/

Also, I see dangerous unprotected props. Why are you guys not using Kort Nozzles which would not only protect from the prop, but also is supposed to increase efficiency at low speeds ? Here is a free STL (not mine) : https://cults3d.com/fr/outil/rov-kort-nozzle-for-bilge-pump-thruster-w-integrated-mount

Thx a lot

Jetfreak said:
Hey guys, maybe you can help me. Iam building my own Jetsurf stuff but the main question I have is how to control the controller... the RCs arent waterproof and a cable solution isnt available on the market or? I was thinking of the Controller from an electric scooter, but how to connect it with an rc controller? Thanks for any answers.. have a nice day

Here is a tutorial about that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gy25dLQONQ&index=7&list=PLys59rejeoibkver285keQVRDWkMw7nDP

Cheers

hey guys

great thread. stumbled across it when i decided i needed an electric surfboard in my life, and this thread has been the most useful for ideas and inspiration.

anyway, here's my progress so far.

Attachments

• prop shafy assembly.jpg
    prop shafy assembly.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 3,685
  • jetsurf 4.jpg
    jetsurf 4.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 3,685
  • jetsurf 6.jpg
    jetsurf 6.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 3,685
Back