new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Here's the 7500w kit on a big box bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KemJO_B2FGE

It's not so much power that's the limiting factor, it's torque. If you choose your gearing wisely, you can run crazy levels of power through even the cheapest of bicycle drivetrains. The reason the 7500w kit doesn't tear your bike apart is because it doesn't have the 6:1 primary reduction that the Cyclone 3000 has.

It seems that most people only buy one of two motors they offer (the Cyclone 3000 or the Cyclone Mini as Luna Cycle calls it). The different wattages come from the different controllers. They offer different motors, but they aren't as popular for some reason.

markz said:
So for their $399 2kw-4kw kits they charge $120 for s/h $520USD($658CAD/AUS)

Difference is between 2-4kw and 1.8kw-3kw
650-1.7kw
Those numbers gotta be Nominal (# - #) Maximum

Then theres the crazy 7.5kw and 18kw with BB setup which would rip through any bicycle grade components.

Yeah, you should definitely research the Samsung 25r. I really feel that it is the best for high-current use. The other cell I would consider is the 30q, but its voltage drops off toward the end. Study the discharge graphs.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Samsung%20INR18650-25R%202500mAh%20%28Green%29%20UK.html

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Samsung%20INR18650-30Q%203000mAh%20%28Pink%29%20UK.html

The Sick Bike Parts kit should be almost the same. You can always email them to ask. I do like Luna's black-colored brackets though.

I don't think the torque-sensing bottom brackets are wide enough. You need at least a 150mm wide spindle for the crank arms to clear the motor. Is anyone using those? I wonder if an offset crank arm could make it work.

What magnet trick are you referring to?

What do you mean about the box compressing the battery contacts?

GlowInTheDarkNinja said:
Those cells are a great price, but I had a hard time finding what kind of current they are rated for. I honestly don't mind paying a little extra for good cells, since I'm building my own battery I want to do everything as 'right' or as reasonably over done as possible. Buying cells with good data, and high drain just makes me feel better. But as an EE student, I'll probably have to order one of these anyways just for other projects.

I dis PM a vender on the forumns for sale section and am waiting for a response at the moment.

The only reason I'm pushed away from these other motor kit vendors is that I can figure out exactly what I'm getting in the luna kit. Which these kits are a little more mysterious.

I just found out that the cadence sensor listed on the kit luna cycle offers is not ISIS compatible (without modification?)
I've seen some pricey BBs with torque sensors build in. $140-$240
This does make me want to consider getting a square taper to start, then maybe upgrade to one of these down the road.

A shunt mod does sound really cool. But I have think I would like to program the controller. If I slap a front hub on another bike I have, I will definitely consider it.

Maybe I'll even hold back on these sensors. I figured I could use the controller's manual to figure out how to wire them. But if everyone is having trouble...

The sunkko looks great. I just saw the magnet trick, and im really considering it. I wanted to make a box that would compress my battery contacts a little bit anyways.

Motorcycle feel?

You might even consider ordering it with a 44/44/32. That way you can try 2 different ratios to see which one works the best. If they don't list it as an option with the Cyclone, you could try emailing them to see if they can do it manually. You could even just add it to the order so that you have spare parts.

https://lunacycle.com/parts/cyclone-parts/triple-chain-ring-front-sprocket-for-cyclone/

GlowInTheDarkNinja said:
...Mostly because I think I want to commit to a motorcycle feel I think I'll take your advice and order it with a 44/44t chainring, so I can swap the brakes and shifter and then get a full twist grip over a thumb throttle...

Yeah, don't risk it... not worth getting your bike impounded... Here in the US nobody has bothered me (yet) while riding a trike that looks (and performs) like race car, in fact, all I get is thumbs up from everybody... which is cool but then I also don't drive it like a hooligan either.

G.

zackclark70 said:
gman1971 said:
zackclark70 said:
i should get about 100 miles if i stick to 25wh/mile my longest regular ride is only 50 miles so i am more than covered :) 36ah maximum usable would
be close to 2.7kwh would even get 20 miles + on my beast at max power not sure i could even keep it running that much power as it will do 50mph offroad at 75wh/mile
I used to get around 13000 mAh on those 12000 cells; now I run 16,000s only. What range are you speaking of? and at what average speed? pedal or no pedal?

25Wh/mile at what average speed?

G.

25wh/mile is the average over the last 2000 miles i think the average speed is about 18mph as the bike is restricted to 15.5mph +/- 10% ( reason i can get a higher average is the down hills i can sit at 20-25mph with easy pedaling) 25wh accounts for all the headwinds tailwinds and hills that is with only pedaling down hill i find motor power on flat with motor and human up hill and human only down hill is the best for average speed or a legal bike

my offroad bikes have so much more power but i would never take them into london on the road as its just asking to get busted

zackclark70 said:
markz said:
How often do London pigs harrass ebikers?

not often for bikes that are obviously legal / close to legal but i wouldn't want to be on my offroad fast bike as its stupid quick and worth to much to risk loosing i know the chance of them catching me is low and even lower if you factor in i can probably out run them but i cant be bothered with all the trouble i would like to keep a clean motorbike licence and an op ebike can risk me loosing that licence

You might be able to outrun their cars and motorcycles, but you can't outrun Motorola...

G.

robocam said:
Here's the 7500w kit on a big box bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KemJO_B2FGE

It's not so much power that's the limiting factor, it's torque. If you choose your gearing wisely, you can run crazy levels of power through even the cheapest of bicycle drivetrains. The reason the 7500w kit doesn't tear your bike apart is because it doesn't have the 6:1 primary reduction that the Cyclone 3000 has.

It seems that most people only buy one of two motors they offer (the Cyclone 3000 or the Cyclone Mini as Luna Cycle calls it). The different wattages come from the different controllers. They offer different motors, but they aren't as popular for some reason.

markz said:
So for their $399 2kw-4kw kits they charge $120 for s/h $520USD($658CAD/AUS)

Difference is between 2-4kw and 1.8kw-3kw
650-1.7kw
Those numbers gotta be Nominal (# - #) Maximum

Then theres the crazy 7.5kw and 18kw with BB setup which would rip through any bicycle grade components.

@robocam...do you recommend the 3000 or 7500 motor?
Also would you have a ballpark figure regarding top speed with 72V ?

gman1971 said:
zackclark70 said:
markz said:

not often for bikes that are obviously legal / close to legal but i wouldn't want to be on my offroad fast bike as its stupid quick and worth to much to risk loosing i know the chance of them catching me is low and even lower if you factor in i can probably out run them but i cant be bothered with all the trouble i would like to keep a clean motorbike licence and an op ebike can risk me loosing that licence

You might be able to outrun their cars and motorcycles, but you can't outrun Motorola...

G.

i am fairly sure if people can avoid them all the time on 50cc peds an ebike would aswell im just not into breaking the law and getting chased by cops for the sake of getting somewhere a few mins quicker i will have a road legal 11.5kw soon anyway

zackclark70 said:
gman1971 said:
zackclark70 said:
markz said:

G.

i am fairly sure if people can avoid them all the time on 50cc peds an ebike would aswell im just not into breaking the law and getting chased by cops for the sake of getting somewhere a few mins quicker i will have a road legal 11.5kw soon anyway

Lol... it also depends on how bad they want to get you too...

G.

Hi guys
I noticed that most discussion is about the 3000watt motor. What about the larger 7500watt? i believe thats the size. Are the specs for the 3000 just as good overall? Wouldnt the larger motor give more top end? I dont plan on pedaling and i have 72v pack
Thanks!

ebike11 said:
Hi guys
I noticed that most discussion is about the 3000watt motor. What about the larger 7500watt? i believe thats the size. Are the specs for the 3000 just as good overall? Wouldnt the larger motor give more top end? I dont plan on pedaling and i have 72v pack
Thanks!

The 7500W is about the size of the C3000W, and has some advantages (no planetary) but you'll need to gear it properly, some ppl are running it without destroying their bike frames, but you'll be on uncharted territory as it isn't a widespread kit as the C3000W kit is.

G.

gman1971 said:
ebike11 said:
Hi guys
Thanks!

The 7500W is about the size of the C3000W, and has some advantages (no planetary) but you'll need to gear it properly, some ppl are running it without destroying their bike frames, but you'll be on uncharted territory as it isn't a widespread kit as the C3000W kit is.

G.

Ok. In your mod video and signature below..it says 65mph and in the video 74mph..is that on only 40 something volts??

Hi, is there a big difference from the kit direct from Cyclone vs Luna cycle kit ?

Seems like the Luna cycle is out of stock so I am tempted to get it direct from factory.

To clarify: my trike (not ebike) runs on 72V and 6500W with a C3000W motor and I've gone as fast as 64.5 mph on it on the road. The 74 mph in the eBike video was done with the wheel lifted off the ground, as that eBike top speed was ~45 mph on 3kW at 48V (shunted to 60A controller)

Hope this helps.

G.

ebike11 said:
gman1971 said:
ebike11 said:
Hi guys
Thanks!

G.

Ok. In your mod video and signature below..it says 65mph and in the video 74mph..is that on only 40 something volts??

gman1971 said:
To clarify: my trike (not ebike) runs on 72V and 6500W with a C3000W motor and I've gone as fast as 64.5 mph on it on the road. The 74 mph in the eBike video was done with the wheel lifted off the ground, as that eBike top speed was ~45 mph on 3kW at 48V (shunted to 60A controller)

Hope this helps.

G.

ebike11 said:
gman1971 said:
ebike11 said:
Hi guys
Thanks!

G.

Ok i see.....and what is the highest that is possible to shunt the controller that comes with the 3000 kit?

90A is the max I've managed in CA with loads of solder at the shunt. If you're looking into more power, I would certainly get a different controller.

G.

ebike11 said:
Ok i see.....and what is the highest that is possible to shunt the controller that comes with the 3000 kit?

Slowrider said:
Hi, is there a big difference from the kit direct from Cyclone vs Luna cycle kit ?

Seems like the Luna cycle is out of stock so I am tempted to get it direct from factory.

My guess is they are exactly the same, which is to say he probably just slapped a Luna sticker on there, so branding his own. Now he probably could have done perhaps some heavier guage wire, better mounting but I am unsure. Again, just guesses.

markz said:
Slowrider said:

My guess is they are exactly the same, which is to say he probably just slapped a Luna sticker on there, so branding his own. Now he probably could have done perhaps some heavier guage wire, better mounting but I am unsure. Again, just guesses.

I did not even get a Luna Sticker:-(.

I feel like I am missing other pieces too.

What pieces are you missing?
Dont worry about the sticker, all the pics I've seen he has his logo on the motor, circle bit.
https://lunacycle.com/mini-cyclone-kit/

https://electricbike-blog.com/2016/01/12/cyclone-3000w-mid-drive-if-youre-gonna-build-something-this-illegal-then-it-better-be-able-to-outrun-the-cops/
down a bit on the page

Don't forget sick bike parts has them too. They include a bmx chain with the kit if I remember correctly. I bought just the motor from them.

dirkdiggler said:
Don't forget sick bike parts has them too. They include a bmx chain with the kit if I remember correctly. I bought just the motor from them.

And much cheaper too... :)

G.

The luna kit says 7 to 1 gear reduction..i thought the motor was 6 to 1 ? Are they exactly the same motor as on the cyclone site?

From the selection of chainrings that Cyclone has, what tooth option would be best for top speed along with my Shimano 7 speed freewheel cassette in the rear??
Looking for the fastest possible speed combination
Thanks

Back