So a little progress on the Apollo dirt bike. While my brother started cutting and hacking all the existing motor mounts off the bike I used a dremmel and carefully cut the splines on the shaft of the motor to allow the sprocket lock to engage properly. Was slightly tedious but we did it.
Sprocket mounted, this motor shaft is quite long and in a perfect world I would have cut it shorter like I did with the BHT, but this bike has plenty of room under the hood so I let it fly
We left one stock motor mount on just incase we would need it later, but we ended up having the get rid of it later on down the road
My Bro cut the main angle iron support brace that will hold that majority of the motor bracket
And while he was getting that welded into place I just randomly started looking for a piece of scrap metal to make a motor bracket out of, ended up using the biggest piece of plate steel I could find and it was pretty close to perfect for the motors bolt pattern size. I cut a hole in the center for the sprocket that took about two drill batteries to accomplish
lots of elbow grease and a dull hole saw at the end!
Lined up the motor and center punched the 4 motor mount holes so they would be dead on, they ended up being a bit off but that's exactly how I roll!
sanded and rounded
Pic of my bro setting things on fire
Top welds done
Here is where I taught my brother how to do CAD....cardboard aided design
More weld pics just for fun
Then we had a slight intermission and had to refuel with some awful pizza and midget bike riding! We broke a pedal but it was good fun
I flipped the bike up so my bro could get the bottom welds easier, here is a shot while trying to balance the bike at the same time
Shot all done, I wish
transferred the CAD work to the metal for grinding
Not the most effective bracket in the world but I will be bracing this with more angle iron
about 1" 5/8" thick at the thinnest part
Got the motor bolted in for a mockup of the chainline
Tacked it in place and this is where we had to cut the last stock motor mount out of the way
I came up with a quick angle iron brace to support the bottom half of the bracket to the lower on the frame, this made the bracket extremely rigid from longitudinal movement, the upper will help laterally
Zoom in shot
Pulled the motor off after tacking everything into submission to fully weld it all
This is why I have my bro weld...its much nicer looking
Top mount back of plate, hard to see but nice coloring on the welds
Final shot ready to wire the motor up
Zoomed in shot of the madness, thanks for watching...hopefully she flies and doesn't blow up!