My EEB Commuter

kingjamez

100 W
I just got done with my build of an electric moped. It's not really a bicycle, the pedals are only there for backup in case something goes wrong.
Specs:
EEB steel frame with moto seat
QS205V3 3.5T Hubmotor
17" Moped wheel front and back
Michelin Gazelle 2.75" tires
Hubsinks and Ferrofluid
Mobipus 72220 FOC controller
Right side half twist throttle, left side thumb variable regen brake
Rockshox Boxxer Front Shock
DNM AO42AR 200mm Rear Shock
20S 20AH (10x4s Packs) of HK Turnigy Professional Graphene
Shimano SLX Hydraulic brakes with 203mm rotors
Cycle Satiator with wall and J1772 power inputs
Arduino control for controller state and NeoPixels for brake lights and turn signals

Top Speed is 60+mph with no field weakening enabled. Could go faster, but have no desire to. I commute on a 4 lane highway with 50mph speed limit and don't feel the need to go faster. Most of it is at 30 mph anyway due to traffic.

Range obviously varies with speed. All I know now is that I use about 1/4 of the battery on one way of my 8 mile commute every day.
IMG_3447.JPG

Cool build!
Ive always been curious about the angle of the moto seat on these frames. Is it as steep as it looks, or is there alot of suspension sag in suspension?

I was worried about the angle as well. I've found that in practice, it's not a problem. I don't slide down while riding and generally am sitting at the very back of the seat. It works very well and is more comfortable than the any bike seat I tried in the mount that comes stock on the EEB frame.

-Jim

Newagebike said:
Nice build! Question why the derailer, I thought the QS 205 H50 can only have one socket?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I need one. I'm still experimenting there. I see a lot of people using one as a chain tensioner so I started out that way.

-Jim

The controller says that it's max amperagE delivered so far is 172.8 amps. That's likely from a max acceleration start from zero.

Batteries are listed in the OP. Don't have much history on them yet but they are working well so far.

The reasom for the chain tensioner is because of the vertical drop outs, you can't put the chain on if it's the right length because it won't stretch to allow the greater distance required by the vertical drop outs.

-Jim

kingjamez said:
I was worried about the angle as well. I've found that in practice, it's not a problem. I don't slide down while riding and generally am sitting at the very back of the seat. It works very well and is more comfortable than the any bike seat I tried in the mount that comes stock on the EEB frame.

-Jim

How tall are you jim, im kind of lanky, I'd be worried the KLX110 seat would be too short. I have one on my OSET and it could do with being a bit longer.

kingjamez said:
The controller says that it's max amperagE delivered so far is 172.8 amps. That's likely from a max acceleration start from zero.

Batteries are listed in the OP. Don't have much history on them yet but they are working well so far.

The reasom for the chain tensioner is because of the vertical drop outs, you can't put the chain on if it's the right length because it won't stretch to allow the greater distance required by the vertical drop outs.

-Jim

I have the same motor and wheel with a MaxE. At full program it will let me pull 196 amps on 20s (I do get some voltage sag so that might be the reason for higher amps?) and like you hit 60 with no field weakining ( I think I recently wrote 70 but I think it was all the narcotics I've been taking for my rotator cuff surgery!). The reason I ask is I love everything about the MaxE except the off line line lack of hit. I actually wanted the 4T but I got the 3.5T dirt cheap. I did have the option of the 5T but was worried about max amps....this place has turned me into some kind of a "amp head!"

I did the same for a chain tensioner....other than here no one will notice. Ask me how I know.

Your bike looks excellent.

Tom

Sean9002 said:
kingjamez said:

-Jim

How tall are you jim, im kind of lanky, I'd be worried the KLX110 seat would be too short. I have one on my OSET and it could do with being a bit longer.

I'm pretty short: 170cm. I'm just on my tip-toes when stopped at a stop light. My friend who rode it and is ~180cm thought it ok for him. I have another set of holes to move the rear shock up or down, so there is some adjustment for seat height.

-Jim

litespeed said:
I have the same motor and wheel with a MaxE. At full program it will let me pull 196 amps on 20s (I do get some voltage sag so that might be the reason for higher amps?) and like you hit 60 with no field weakining ( I think I recently wrote 70 but I think it was all the narcotics I've been taking for my rotator cuff surgery!). The reason I ask is I love everything about the MaxE except the off line line lack of hit.

Your bike looks excellent.

Tom

Thanks Tom!

I've never (and don't plan to) charged my batteries beyond 4.05V/Cell. If I were to charge all the way up to the full pack voltage, I'd bet my max amp draw would correspondingly increase as well. I've got no such complaints about the Mobipus, it's brutal off the line and I have to work to keep the front wheel down. The throttle is nearly infinitely configurable on the Mobipus, almost too much so... so many settings that I'll probably never try them all since it just works so well as-is.

-Jim

Newagebike said:
You can allows use a chain splitter and install a master link this way you do not need the tensioner.

Yes, that would work, but if you ever had to remove the rear wheel you'd need the chain splitter again because of the vertical drop out.

-Jim

Newagebike said:
Did you install the Ferro Fluid or was it in the motor already?

I put the Ferrofluid in. It was super simple. I just drilled a small hole in the outside of the motor casing, being careful not to drill into the windings. I then put all 10ml of FF in and used some black silicon to reseal the hole.

-Jim

I have seen videos of people taking apart the motor to put it in I am wondering about the pros and cons of these 2 ways?

Newagebike said:
I have seen videos of people taking apart the motor to put it in I am wondering about the pros and cons of these 2 ways?

On the first motor that I installed ferrofluid, I drilled the hole to inject the ferrofluid. I then ran it for a while and took the motor apart. The ferrofluid was evenly distributed among the magnets just like it should be. With that result, I really don't see the point of taking the motor apart just to insert the FF.

-Jim

kingjamez said:
Newagebike said:

On the first motor that I installed ferrofluid, I drilled the hole to inject the ferrofluid. I then ran it for a while and took the motor apart. The ferrofluid was evenly distributed among the magnets just like it should be. With that result, I really don't see the point of taking the motor apart just to insert the FF.

-Jim
I am curious if anyone else can weigh in on this. I wouldn't think drilling even a small hole in the side cover while it is installed is a good idea. I would be worried about metal shavings grinding between the stator and the magnets. Perhaps a punched hole would be more ideal?

I'm interested how you managed to set up your bike to charge from a car charging station. What is your setup?

How do those mirrors work for you? I've always gone without bike mirrors b/c they vibrate too much to be useful, but if I could get useful mirrors (like I use constantly while driving a car) that would be great.

Also, what kind of wh/km or wh/mile do you get?

John,

I have basically the exact same bike and mirrycle's also. They are awesome. Vibration on my bike is near non exsistant. They are super adjustable and very solid. https://www.modernbike.com/product-2041166883?gclid=Cj0KCQjw5arMBRDzARIsAAqmJeyWC_80VMkQfy1_4_GZkPkqYb8yTRJh9tUUCB9LT800ZN3UqYJdOGsaAuC9EALw_wcB
I have them on both sides and can easily fold them in for going through the woods. Get out of the woods and fold them back out and go or on the go! I've only gone 60 mph a few times but I can tell you they do great at that speed and everything below. I have the same 3.5T QS motor and a MaxE which should get me into the 70's but haven't ever tried going that fast yet.

You can tell us how they do at 100 when you get them.

Tom

Kingjamez I didn't mean to steal your thunder! Apologies if I did and will delete.

Attachments

• IMG_1602.JPG
    IMG_1602.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 3,065
  • IMG_1599.JPG
    IMG_1599.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 3,065
Back