Geared motors regen ? power to the masses!

No motorization can come close to a DD hub for low maintenance. For me, since I started using big motors, it is new bearings every 20,000 miles, plus brake pads and rear tire every 6 weeks. That is using regen very sparsely, on a bike that weights 70 lbs, riding above 50 mph daily with a top speed about 70 mph. I have a very good freewheel that's not sealed, still riding after 40,000 miles on 3 motors and 2 bikes (a White that was on my dirt bike for 10,000 miles before being on my commuter).

The performance that I ride would kill almost any drive the first day, except motorcycle drives and still, they would be higher maintenance.

qwerkus said:
At least on their alibaba store, keyde claims that their geared motors have no clutch at all. Weight is only one factor: from what I understand, DD hub motors are quite inefficient at startup so geared motor is the way to go in stop-start city commute.

If keyde offers a 1000W rated motor with the highest efficiency available lams, and the ability to readily get replacement parts, and is durable as a MAC, i'll try one.

I bought a high quality and expensive white freewheel, but it is larger and requires machining to fit on my 120 pound bike, so have been consuming Dicta's until that project to fit the white completes. The Dicta's do last longer when lubricated. Plus they are much quieter. :)

The variable electric braking / regen makes brakes necessary only for emergencies and the last mph of braking to a stop on this ebike.

A geared and clutchless motor will make an interesting addition to the options. Normally it would have rather significant coasting losses, but with modern laminations perhaps it will be similar to a DD, though geartrain losses are never zero.

qwerkus said:
but i would be more impressed by local contests of cyclists measuring the power they produce knowing that it's beeing fed into the grid (using an inverter) than by wasteful tour-de-france like competitions...

Let me just answer this. My father for one is huge fan of tour de france, and for him watching it, is about scenary/helicopter video and remembering most of roads/rides that he and my mom rode bikes on.

So watching guys ride bikes in room is another story. Maybe better example would be velodrome racing, but nobody watches that anyway.

Back