Electric Hydrofoil/E-Foil

markula78 said:
I havent tested this, but the price is nice and it at least water seal.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flycolor-waterproof-150A-HV-Brushless-ESC-support-5-12S-for-Agricultural-Drone-/291873009188?epid=2124091235&hash=item43f4fcae24:g:95EAAOSwZQRYa3nW
Maybe install a 40mm fan if it gets to hot.
Mhhh, I think it's like for the watches : "water-proof" is not the same as "water-resistant"...

Gege2000 said:
markula78 said:
I havent tested this, but the price is nice and it at least water seal.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flycolor-waterproof-150A-HV-Brushless-ESC-support-5-12S-for-Agricultural-Drone-/291873009188?epid=2124091235&hash=item43f4fcae24:g:95EAAOSwZQRYa3nW
Maybe install a 40mm fan if it gets to hot.
Mhhh, I think it's like for the watches : "water-proof" is not the same as "water-resistant"...
Yah, all claims on ESC's are worth the ink spent to print them. Even high priced, recognized hobby stuff brands, overspecs their toys, barely fitting in perfect world conditions performance. Divide at least by 2 every word on this kind of items.

toto44 said:
I am using Eppler 214 for the Wing. For stabilisier it will be naca 009. I had the idea to use a only Wing setup. Do. such foils exist?
One wing airfoil usualy are more stable with swept back and auto-stablilized airfoil.
I found this picture, only wing works with Hydrofoil bodyboard, why no for regular boards :)
c6a268b5ec29c8088360e960dd148d89.jpg

Envoyé de mon F5321 en utilisant Tapatalk

We just posted our 3D files and part list of our V1, feel free to get som inspiration or tips in the building. Started building a 1.5kwh battery pack, improved propulsion unit, new board and a waterproof transmitter/controller unit for V2.

For inspiration:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Building-an-ELECTRICAL-Hydrofoil-Part-12/

have fun building, and riding!

Thanks so much for such detailed information. Can I ask how long is the mast that you are using and what do you think is the minimum length you could use?

We used 85cm mast length. But I think you can use both longer and shorter masts. Too short will make it hard to ride as there is little room for adjustment once up. Too long will make it unstable when ridimg high above the water.

Minimum length, 50cm maybe, hard to say.

About the mast, I think that an aluminium hollow mast with a plate is the easier choice for a reasonable price, even for a personal wing setup.
Could you tell me if you founded good links for that part (and maybe with a fuselage). I founded only filled aluminium masts.

Gege2000 said:
About the mast, I think that an aluminium hollow mast with a plate is the easier choice for a reasonable price, even for a personal wing setup.
Could you tell me if you founded good links for that part (and maybe with a fuselage). I founded only filled aluminium masts.

The Slingshot hoverglide mast and fuselage are a very good price. I have the mast and baseplate and will be getting the fuselage when its in stock

Jezza said:
The Slingshot hoverglide mast and fuselage are a very good price. I have the mast and baseplate and will be getting the fuselage w
hen its in stock
But the Slingshot mart is not hollow, isn't it?

Gege2000 said:
Jezza said:
The Slingshot hoverglide mast and fuselage are a very good price. I have the mast and baseplate and will be getting the fuselage w
hen its in stock

It is, they just put 1cm of plastic into the hollow parts. I just drilled into the plastic, put a screw in, and then pulled it out. You can run 2 wires down each hole.
I think its a bit heavier than the Liquid Force mast, but that doesn't really bother me much.

Jezza said:
Gege2000 said:
Jezza said:
hen its in stock
It is, they just put 1cm of plastic into the hollow parts. I just drilled into the plastic, put a screw in, and then pulled it out. You can run 2 wires down each hole.
I think its a bit heavier than the Liquid Force mast, but that doesn't really bother me much.
Thanks for these informations.

100% carbon fiber surfing hydrofoil water wings carbon gofoil for foil sup
http://s.aliexpress.com/V3aQVFJn
(from AliExpress Android)

Bazaki said:
100% carbon fiber surfing hydrofoil water wings carbon gofoil for foil sup
http://s.aliexpress.com/V3aQVFJn
(from AliExpress Android)
Saw it, but no hollow mast. Not easy to drill straight on such length. Or must add a 3D printed piece around the mast for the wires.

Hi guys,

I'm really interested in building an e-foil too. I rode all the thread and started to look to buy the parts. What i realized is that the planetary gears reductors are really expensive and hard to find. So i started to think about something else (without reductor).
Also the motor is big and is adding a lot of drag in the water.

Some of you talked about direct shaft transmission, but you will get a bad efficiency because of the 90° angle transmission you will need at the propeller..

But why not putting the motor in the board and use a belt (or two in parallel) going through the foil ? Something like this :

21057110.jpg

21037910.jpg

A 1600mm long HTD3 15mm wide belt is only 30€ and really strong. If i can find a good tensionning system i'm sure it can work.

The idea would be to 3d print the foil mast and renforce it with carbon fiber wrapping. It must be waterproof and i need to think about a removable trap to change the belt if it breaks.

I have all the electronics/motors/batteries i need at home (i'm an e-skate builder) and free access to fablab (laser cutter, 3d printer etc..) so i will try to make a prototype of the tensioning system on a big wood plate to see if it can work.

This solution would have a good efficiency and is reducing the drag into the water compared to the existing solutions. Using a 6374 200kv motor would be perfect : good torque and good speed (2400 rpm at 12s if i make a 1:1 transmission)

What do you think about this ?

max2501 said:
This solution would have a good efficiency and is reducing the drag into the water compared to the existing solutions. Using a 6374 200kv motor would be perfect : good torque and good speed (2400 rpm at 12s if i make a 1:1 transmission)
Isnt it more like 8640rpm?
What is your strategy to cool an outrunner?
Nice, fresh idea BTW!

max2501 said:
Hi guys,

I'm really interested in building an e-foil too. I rode all the thread and started to look to buy the parts. What i realized is that the planetary gears reductors are really expensive and hard to find. So i started to think about something else (without reductor).
Also the motor is big and is adding a lot of drag in the water.

Some of you talked about direct shaft transmission, but you will get a bad efficiency because of the 90° angle transmission you will need at the propeller..

But why not putting the motor in the board and use a belt (or two in parallel) going through the foil ? Something like this :

21057110.jpg

21037910.jpg

A 1600mm long HTD3 15mm wide belt is only 30€ and really strong. If i can find a good tensionning system i'm sure it can work.

The idea would be to 3d print the foil mast and renforce it with carbon fiber wrapping. It must be waterproof and i need to think about a removable trap to change the belt if it breaks.

I have all the electronics/motors/batteries i need at home (i'm an e-skate builder) and free access to fablab (laser cutter, 3d printer etc..) so i will try to make a prototype of the tensioning system on a big wood plate to see if it can work.

What do you think about this ?

You can not have Pulley idler on the "drive side" of the belt. Just after some minutes the idler bearing will got to hot! The belt have to go in a straight line between pulley on motor and propeller shaft.

200Kv means 200 RPM/Volt. So if you power it on 12S about 44V. The motor will spin abaout 200kv * 44V = 8800 RRM on motor.

Attachments

• 21037910.jpg
    21037910.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 4,337
parabellum said:
max2501 said:
Isnt it more like 8640rpm?
What is your strategy to cool an outrunner?
Nice, fresh idea BTW!

Yes 8640rpm stupid mistake sorry...
Cooling is going to be a problem you are right, i must think about it.

markula78 said:
You can not have Pulley idler on the "drive side" of the belt. Just after some minutes the idler bearing will got to hot! The belt have to go in a straight line between pulley on motor and propeller shaft.

Okay i didn't know that..

There is also another problem : long belt means a lot of vibrations so the teeth of the belt will shock together, the best is maybe to use a toothless belt (poly-v belt)

max2501 said:
Okay i didn't know that..

There is also another problem : long belt means a lot of vibrations so the teeth of the belt will shock together, the best is maybe to use a toothless belt (poly-v belt)
The other problem, after placing tensioners, kinetic energy of the belt, will curve it towards each other. And at some speed point they come in to contact but without, same force will curve it towards mast walls. Some serious guide solution must be designed.

Hello! I tried to search for an answer on this, but did not find anything.

I am looking at the "SSS 56104 500KV 6 pole brushless motor" on ebay, and it says W/O water cooling. Is the water supposed to flow inside the motor or through a connected surface around it? I am trying to plan the build shared by pacificmeister.

Hi guys,
in my first post in this forum I want to share with you my design of the propulsion unit. I took the design of pacificmeister and hiorth as a template (big thanks for that!!!) and enhanced some points.
My unit is completely unscrew able, nothing must be glued. Also there is a removable electrical feed through to change the motor if needed without cutting any wires.

@Hiorth:
Thanks again for the well-designed propeller and prop guard! I had to rescale it (x 1,2) to fit with my screw pattern diameter. Can you give me an advise what KV-value I should choose? You have the most experience with your propeller design.
My setup:
-12s (44,4V)  2x 6s @16mAH
-Gearbox 8:1
-Propeller diameter: 175mm
-Available KV for SSS motor and (rpm @44,4V):
400 (2220) ,480 (2664) ,550 (3052) ,650 (3607) ,700 (3885),790 (4385) ,880 (4884)

What you think? Can you also provide the CAD files of your stp files? With which CAD system are you working?

@all:

I want to take the risk and buy a hydrofoil set from Alibaba. Can you advise which foil I should choose? The price is about 250€ + delivery fee (160€ to Germany) for:
Material: carbon fiber wings + 6061 allumium keel (36") + 6061 allumium fuselage

They have several options:

What you thing guys? Which option is the best for our purpose?

Thanks in advance and best regards from Germany
-superlefax

superlefax said:
Hi guys,
in my first post in this forum I want to share with you my design of the propulsion unit. I took the design of pacificmeister and hiorth as a template (big thanks for that!!!) and enhanced some points.
My unit is completely unscrew able, nothing must be glued. Also there is a removable electrical feed through to change the motor if needed without cutting any wires.

@Hiorth:
Thanks again for the well-designed propeller and prop guard! I had to rescale it (x 1,2) to fit with my screw pattern diameter. Can you give me an advise what KV-value I should choose? You have the most experience with your propeller design.
My setup:
-12s (44,4V)  2x 6s @16mAH
-Gearbox 8:1
-Propeller diameter: 175mm
-Available KV for SSS motor and (rpm @44,4V):
400 (2220) ,480 (2664) ,550 (3052) ,650 (3607) ,700 (3885),790 (4385) ,880 (4884)

What you think? Can you also provide the CAD files of your stp files? With which CAD system are you working?

@all:

I want to take the risk and buy a hydrofoil set from Alibaba. Can you advise which foil I should choose? The price is about 250€ + delivery fee (160€ to Germany) for:
Material: carbon fiber wings + 6061 allumium keel (36") + 6061 allumium fuselage

They have several options:

What you thing guys? Which option is the best for our purpose?

Thanks in advance and best regards from Germany
-superlefax

NICE! :) Really nice to se other people building this stuff.

We used a 12S, 5:1 reduction, 500KV motor and 142mm propeller. As you have a larger propeller and higher reduction my guess is that KV in the 400-500 range would be suitable (But we dont really have a clue... ;).

We use Onshape, I might share the files once we are finished (its browser based, so we can make it public so everyone that has onshape can copy, see and modify them).

We are now building propulsion unit V2, hope to have it finished within 3 weeks. Will be much smoother design :)

Made a modified watertight cage for the GT2B controller, will test it this week, to check that is waterproof. Also building a 1.5kwh battery from old tesla cells.

We would buy the mast and maybe fuselage and build the wing.

Cheers
Nikolai

@Hiorth what max speed do you estimate you got to with your set-up? (Interested to estimate the drag factor on theoretical max speed)

Are you at full voltage when up and foiling or do you have to take off some throttle once up?

I reckon 500kv is a safe bet to ensure you get up. After much deliberation I've gone for 650kv with 8:1 on the hope of getting to a higher top speed with tweaks to foil size/lift and prop design. But I am still pre CAD.

So what happened to Pacificmeister? Did he go commercial with his board? No youtube videos for 2 months now.

@Hiorth
I was going to print out your 3d files from instructables.com and was confused on the foil attachment part. Is that whole thing one long cylinder and you cut the parts?

Also got my Neugart ple60-i8 and it has what looks like two attachment points for the motor. One inside that looks to be a 4mm and the an outer ring that is more like 8mm. I can't seem to get the smaller one out. Is that permanently fixed inside? The ple60 came with a stepper motor that has a 4mm motor shaft.

@dirk diggler
The stl file of the structural components is stacked for sls print (no need for support). If you are printing on a fdm printer you have to open the step file in a cad program such as Onshape, an separate them.

@kiter uk
Not sure of the speed, not good enough on the foil yet.. But I guess it will go 15-20 knots as it is now. Use about 1/3 of the throttle on the foil. 1/2-2/3 throttle to be lifted..

Back