250w hub motor scooter mod log

@mackyyy motor temp is not an issue with this setup. The high voltage allows these motors to pull less current but they still perform well.

@EG, The charger is bad ass man. It's still going strong with no issues.

I'm starting to have a bit more time to get this thing finished. Last time I posted I blew the rear tire. Since then I picked up 2 and got the rear replaced. I also let my coworker ride it which wasn't a good idea (he's in his 60's) and it immediately got away from him. The scooter flipped and landed on the side ruining both calipers and the front rotor. I've replaced the calipers, but I'm waiting on the new rotor. There is a small current leak in my setup, EG thinks its coming from the caps in the controllers. Rather than replacing them, I'm adding a high power switch to the scooter. I also just started on the new deck. I should have some progress pics to show soon.

shortcircuit911 said:
@mackyyy motor temp is not an issue with this setup. The high voltage allows these motors to pull less current but they still perform well.

@EG, The charger is bad ass man. It's still going strong with no issues.

I'm starting to have a bit more time to get this thing finished. Last time I posted I blew the rear tire. Since then I picked up 2 and got the rear replaced. I also let my coworker ride it which wasn't a good idea (he's in his 60's) and it immediately got away from him. The scooter flipped and landed on the side ruining both calipers and the front rotor. I've replaced the calipers, but I'm waiting on the new rotor. There is a small current leak in my setup, EG thinks its coming from the caps in the controllers. Rather than replacing them, I'm adding a high power switch to the scooter. I also just started on the new deck. I should have some progress pics to show soon.

People occasionally ask if they can ride my EV's...99% of the time the answer "no way". I have one friend that I trust on them...everyone else...not going to happen. They just can't handle what we consider to be "decent performance". It's why factory made EV's are so lame and weak. I want an EV that I have to hang on to or else it will leave me behind. I want it to pop wheelies and be able to do them at 30% throttle and be able to out accelerate most cars. If it can't do that, then back to the drawing board! On my Currie, There's settings in the controller I can do and then via a switch select 3 power settings. I haven't bothered, but I thought about setting a couple of user modes so that it is horrible and slow and lame at the flip of a switch or fast like I want. That way I can possibly hand it to a noob and they won't get into trouble so easily.

I'm glad the charger is working out!

What's the max loading you've done on the BMS? I forget now what it's limits are, but whatever you want to throw at it, it ought to handle now.

Yea I knew it was a bit too much for him but he insisted and I gave in. It was kinda funny though and he replaced all the parts.

Max amps on the BMS is 160 amps (after you modded it). Max battery current has been like 23 Amps (super steep hill full throttle), so the BMS is living the good life.

Put some work into a new deck and added a main power switch to the circuit. I've been ripping this thing around the city looking for people to race lol. I really haven't seen anything worth racing around, kinda sucks. I just got back from a little lunch time rip, some pics are below. It's really fun exploring SF a little at a time on this thing. I like to branch out for several blocks in different directions to get more familiar with SF and its been so much fun to do on this thing. Really happy with my project right now, need to fix a few little things, but other than that its been solid.

Attachments

• 20170902_195222.jpg
    20170902_195222.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,173
  • 20170902_195247.jpg
    20170902_195247.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,173
  • 20170902_195255.jpg
    20170902_195255.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,173
  • 20170911_140256.jpg
    20170911_140256.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 1,173
  • 20170922_114009.jpg
    20170922_114009.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 1,173
  • 20170922_114028.jpg
    20170922_114028.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 1,173
Well it's been a while since I've posted in this thread as I've been building other projects (EEB, other ebikes) and it's been crazy busy at work.

Anyway, I was riding this scooter daily in SF a couple miles a day (hard riding) with no problems and 1 accident (driver cut me off and slammed brakes on me). I ended up using the battery for a bit to test my EEB drivetrain, and never put the damn thing back together. I decided about a month ago to put it back together but managed to get an nut in the main contactor which closed the circuit and fried the BMS, and lost a cell in one bank of batteries. Total bummer, but an opportunity to upgrade the electronics.

So I've been eyeing a bluetooth BMS for my EEB but decided to get it for my scooter. I got it from alibaba for little over $100 and in my opinion it is totally worth it. I will never have a non bluetooth bms again. I also purchased vortex's vbms app and it is well worth the money. The wiring for the bms was pretty straight forward, but I did have an issue with the output voltage of the bms not matching the input voltage of the bms. Simply putting the correct number of cells in the cell count section of the app fixed the issue. I got it all back together last night and did a few full pulls up the hill in front of the house. The scooter is pulling just shy of 4kw which was the goal for the scooter in the fist place. I could probably change some of the setting in the controllers and get a bit more out of them, but not sure it's worth the time as this thing is a rocket as is. It can be difficult to put all the power to the ground as the front wheel always wants to break free. Going to put this bms to the test and see how it holds up.

Attachments

• 20190802_074920.jpg
    20190802_074920.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 602
  • 20190808_232555.jpg
    20190808_232555.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 602
  • Screenshot_20190809-204357_VBMS.jpg
    Screenshot_20190809-204357_VBMS.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 602
Back